PDA

View Full Version : New Plug-In Provides Feature-Film Quality Rendering for Adobe Photoshop CS3

Kurtis
04-16-2007, 04:47 PM
New Plug-In Provides Feature-Film Quality Rendering for Adobe® Photoshop® CS3
NewTek Announces LightWave® Rendition™ for Adobe® Photoshop®

Las Vegas, Nevada -- NAB -- April 16, 2007 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced launch plans for their latest development, LightWave Rendition for Adobe® Photoshop®. The product created by NewTek's 3D division provides photorealistic 3D render output, such as recently used in the feature film "300", for Adobe’s just revealed Photoshop CS3 Extended. Based upon the Emmy® Award-winning render engine native to LightWave 3D®, Rendition™ for Adobe Photoshop gives creative artists the ability to render models imported through Photoshop CS3 and deliver the richness of detail, textures and lighting attributes found in the original 3D object format, all within the Photoshop environment.

Full press release... (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-16-07b.html)

steveblake
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Could be interesting - are there any clues as to if it'll be able to import the UV sets, paint models and export? From the simulated screenshots I'm guessing it's not planned... perhaps something for the future?

rcronin
04-17-2007, 09:50 AM
The render engine won an Emmy?

andrewjohn81
04-17-2007, 01:08 PM
What Hasn't won an emmy these days? Everyone's always bragging about them to say they are better than someone else, but chances are they have an emmy too.

mosconariz
04-17-2007, 06:00 PM
The render engine in lightwave is the best one built-in a 3D solution, and it's getting better...

Array
04-17-2007, 06:25 PM
The render engine in lightwave is the best one built-in a 3D solution, and it's getting better...

I think that "best" is quite subjective ;) MentalRay is built into the Softimage|XSI package, and it's pretty good too! :thumbsup:

monovich
04-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Who's render engine is best is a dog that died of a brutal beating after the 2nd render engine was written and released.

What I want to know is if the plugin will be a useful tool, or some sort of curious doohickey nobody knew they wanted or needed.

-s

Szos
04-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Maybe it's just me, but that press release seemed to be a hodge-podge of industry buzz-words with no real content of what this technology/product really is.

I have always had respect for NewTek (going back to the Amiga and Video Toaster days), and think their products are quite a bit underappreciated, but try as I might, I just can't get past LW's funky user-interface.

steveblake
04-18-2007, 11:29 AM
I have always had respect for NewTek (going back to the Amiga and Video Toaster days), and think their products are quite a bit underappreciated, but try as I might, I just can't get past LW's funky user-interface.
I think the point here is that the plugin will enable a number of 2D artists to have access to a neat renderer without having to master a whole new package.

That said Lightwave's UI never fazed me that much. It's different, but then they all have their quirks. I didn't find it any harder to master than Maya or Max.

richcz3
04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I can't imagine that the interface would be overly complex. Extended already has its own renderer so this Rendition plugin possibly adds more detailed settings/functions than are already included. Extended isn't limited to Lightwave, there are other render applications that will have plugins that work with Extended.

mosconariz
04-20-2007, 04:15 AM
I think that "best" is quite subjective
What I tried to say is that lightwave renderer is very cool to be part of the program, and not a plug-in or completely another one (maybe my english is bad, he)... however, I think I made my point...

steveblake
04-20-2007, 05:30 AM
I guess if its like this link it's going to be a fairly simple method to 'render' 3d content in Photoshop, which to be honest I can't see myself ever doing (not that way at least)
http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/SeaDragonSM.mov

Kind of a neat idea - just not going to have us all dropping our favourite 3d painting apps just yet..

richcz3
04-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm pretty impressed with the fact they made it straight forward and it stays in the Photoshop layout where standard tools and filters can be applied. It could have launched a whole new interface which would have greatly reduced my interest.

Throw in 3rd party render plugins like Rendition and one can make some very good quality comps or story boards for client proofs. Being able to clean up texture maps and export them makes this the first version of Photoshop I actually can't wait to get my hands on. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2007, 04:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.