PDA

View Full Version : lighting through stain glass?

WChestnutt
03-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi,

i think the answer to my question involves volumetrics but i'm not sure....anyway here it goes.....

i have a stain glass window in a room and have a light outside it, how can i get the coloured light to shine in the room in big beams of light, like it was reflecting on all the pieces of dust in the air?

Thanks,

Will

eheupel
03-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Read this thread:

colored volumetrics? (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48306)

Dreamwave
03-10-2003, 07:13 PM
In Inside Lightwave 7 there's a small piece about 'gobo's'
if you guys think this is the solution he's looking for someone (or I) can explain it to him...

before I'm going to say stupid things here :rolleyes:

WChestnutt
03-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Hi,

eheupel: i found that post a minuet ago but i don't think it's the effect i want, thanks anyway....

Dreamwave: What effects does that give?

Thanks,

Will

Dreamwave
03-10-2003, 08:52 PM
a gobo is an image you (virtually) place before a light...
the example in the book: a black plane with six white planes on it
effect: it looks like the light is shining through the window becasue the light can't pass the black areas...

he says you can do this too with coloured gobo's...

aha, found how it works:

go to light properties and change it to spotlight...
then select your 'projection image' and test some around...

the attached image (sorry for the crappy wuality but you'll get the idea) is the first image I could find projected on a flat plane... if you use a stained glass image you would be able to create a nice projection on your church(?) floor

good luck, I hope I helped you...

WChestnutt
03-10-2003, 10:40 PM
i'm sure that will help thanks!!, but what i need is....

you know if you have a room with smoke/dust in the air, if a coloured light was shining through a window you would be able to see the light reflecting of the particles, creating a "beam" of coloured light in the air, (maybe the beam wouldn't be coloured?, i'm not sure) how is it possible to do this in lw?

Maybe i'm not making any sense.....

Thanks,

Will

Nonproductive
03-10-2003, 11:39 PM
If I understand you right -

Use a volumetric light with a turbulence texture applied.
Have the light pass through your colored, transparent surface and make sure that "color filter" is turned up under the advanced tab under the Transparent material surface.

WChestnutt
03-11-2003, 07:03 AM
i'll play around and see what happens,

Thanks,

Will

eheupel
03-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Unknown Limit: took a few minutes last night to do this...is this what you're trying to get?

For the color effect follow the advise in the colored volumetrics? (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48306) thread.

For getting the visibility in the air particles, I set a spot light outside the window shining in. Enabled volumetrics and turned luminosity and density up to 70%. Opacity, attenuation and red shift were all at 10%. This was done with low quality volumetrics. There is a procedural noise texture on the volumetric also.

The model and texturing are all very rough quick, just wanted to generate the effect to make sure we understand what you're asking.

Dreamwave
03-11-2003, 05:39 PM
wow that looks cool!

WChestnutt
03-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Thats it!!!!:applause:

looks preety good!!:drool:

Thanks alot!!:beer:

cheers,

Will

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.