PDA

View Full Version : nhmChallenge sorin bechira

bechira
04-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi all! And first of all, GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!
This is my first challenge on this forum. I will try to do my best with this one...but I have a very busy schedule so I'm moving veeeeery slowly. Hope to finish it in time.

bechira
04-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Here is my wip for the first stage:

wip01 (cards, people, reflectors and lights are removed from the upper side):
http://www.bechira.sorin.upcnet.ro/cgtalk/sorin_wip1.jpg

bechira
04-17-2007, 05:55 AM
wip02: main stairs and teh left part refined, lighting change for arcades (since the reflectors are gone)
http://www.bechira.sorin.upcnet.ro/cgtalk/sorin_wip2.jpg

bechira
04-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I just finished clening he plate. Hope it looks like a clean one. :D Since I'm a noob at mattepaint, any suggestions are welcomed. I will try to do learn a lot from this contest since I've seen that there are maaaany good works so far....I can't wait to see the rest of it.:bounce:
http://www.bechira.sorin.upcnet.ro/cgtalk/sorin_cleanplate.jpg

everlite
04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Nice one Sorin, looks good to me, and well documented :)

Onto the next stage now, extending the plate.

- Dave.

bechira
04-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Thank you Dave. I tried to be accurate on this one, just to force myself to have more patience on cleaning the plates.

Plate extension will be fun for shure.

Grrrrrrr
04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey there..good luck! Glad to see another romanian here. :thumbsup:

bechira
04-17-2007, 03:27 PM
glad to see u too, Grrrrrrr. Hope we can manage it ...coz there is a damn good challenge. :D

bechira
04-18-2007, 08:02 PM
After all I managed to do some kind of...set extension. Hope it looks good enough. :D
I updated the set extension and tried to fix the problems (hope that all are fixed now)
http://www.bechira.sorin.upcnet.ro/cgtalk/nhm_challenge_set_ext_sm.jpg

SpetsK
04-18-2007, 08:35 PM
The best extension I have seen in this challenge so far. Must love the pillars on the right side and the stage they are standing on! Just 3D?
And the haze gives a nice atmosphere.

Inlakechh
04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
The best cinematic look so far, but I see some perspective errors in the extension.
You get great scale with those columns.

everlite
04-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Looking very nice, love the pillars, did you reference the left side for this? well done. I'd be tempted to leave the mist until the very end, tends to be one of the last elements to be applied.

Keep it up :)

- Dave.

Cameo
04-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Yea great progress there bechira. One or two little perspective issues to fix as mentioned about but other than that you're all set.

Ivy00
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Love the pillars :)

kirouac
04-19-2007, 02:13 AM
Nice work on the cleaning part. I like the way u have done the little blur on the front column in the step2. the perspective probleme is not to visible and will i think be hidden in the step 3.

Good luck !

bechira
04-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Thank you for your support. This was my very first interior set extension. :D

@ SpetsK: nothig is 3d here. not for now.
@ Inlakechh: yap, I have some perspective errors, but last night I was so tired, I just couln't see all problems. Now I see them and I'll fix them.
@ everlite: I looked on google for reference images, but not used them. Just trying to be accurate on this one. The fog layer is just a round, soften , 20 % opac brush. I just couldn't help it. :D It is not flettened, so I can remove it to work without it, but since it was my first set extension on this scale, I lost my patience and tried to make it more atmospheric from now. :D
@ Cameo: yap. I'll fix them.
@ Lvy00: glad u do. :)
@ dominikmk: thnk you.

Now comes the real fun part. But still I just can't destroy such a beautiful building. I hope in 1000 years from now this building remains the same. :thumbsup:
I will try to go for with the theme and try to find a nice nature integration.

SamsonsReaper
04-19-2007, 08:28 AM
well done sofar, but i dont think the bent pillars are such a good idea ;P

JJASSO
04-19-2007, 06:07 PM
I agreee thi s is the best looking so far, with issues you will fix I think, but yeah I can't wait to see some painting on it, go ! go ! go !

bechira
04-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Wow. It's an honour to see Levi Péterfi and Jaime Jasso on my thread. Thank you for your support. I will fix the problems and make sketches for my concept asap.

Just to share with you my ideea: I will try to give it desolated look, but also keep it as an interior scene, not an exterior one. I was thinking to show some signs of another usage of the building also. Let's say that in the future it will serve as an religious building, and have some wierd symbols and signs on it. :D

bechira
04-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi!
Working on step 3 now. Here is a little update. Working on the floor and front pillars. Building will fall slowly :D
http://www.bechira.sorin.upcnet.ro/cgtalk/nhm_step3_wip01sm.jpg

bechira
04-22-2007, 02:10 PM
I just finished to fix the problems on the set extension, shown on page1. The old pic was overwritten.

everlite
04-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Looking very interesting there. I think maybe there's a little too much internal light, might need a few subtle rays in there and the unlit areas darkening a little. More definiation between the shadows and light i think.

- Dave :)

JJASSO
04-22-2007, 07:00 PM
I agree with david about the lighting, and I think there's so much haze/fog inside, add rays, volumetric lights, make it look like dust clouds well this is just my opinion , I will look forward , keep it up !

bechira
04-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Thank you for your advices. very helpfull.:thumbsup:
Now I managed to make a more refined version of my concept.
As I said earlier, I wanted a desolated l&f, and since the museum is in the middle of London, I was thinking to add some buildings ( but I appologise if there are not actually there in real life.)
More details will be added soon (chains, debris, plants).
Just need some advices on this one:http://www.bechira.sorin.upcnet.ro/cgtalk/nhm_step3_wip02sm.jpg

Matellis
04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Sorin this is looking insane! great job so far. This looks like an almost finished matte painting!

Keep it up :D

Cheers

Keating
04-24-2007, 01:01 PM
The white buildings in the background remind me of that city from Lord of the Rings. Great stuff so far! I really like the vines/leaves growing on the columns to the righ.t

JJASSO
04-24-2007, 02:04 PM
I think this is looking great , but you have just some fooliage on the right columns, try to give more balance with that fooliage elements, I mean you're entire image is almost monochromatic , and the green of the plants there give it a nice mood and color variation, try to add some more to the left

bechira
04-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you for your support.
Yes, Jaime, more foliage and debris will be added. And the ruins are rough cut, I will refine the edges to be more precise also.

everlite
04-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Hey that's working really well :) only suggestion might be nice to add a little more to the left, it's a little boxy at the moment :) give it a nice wide resolution.

- Dave :thumbsup:

bechira
04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks Dave.
I have two choices on this one:
1. Widen the screen area to 16:9 format (as I did on step3 -wip01) - if I can not manage to do the movie. - step4
2. Leave it in this format to have space for a vertical camera movement in step4

What do you think?

Grrrrrrr
04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
This is going great. And i agree...it looks like Osghiliath from LotR.

Keep it up!

bechira
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
This is going great. And i agree...it looks like Osghiliath from LotR.

Keep it up!

this is cool :)
never thought of this one.
this building is actually a cathedral from Arequipa, Peru. Arequipa is also known as the White City as so much of its colonial centre is built from the white sillar volcanic rock.

Grrrrrrr
04-24-2007, 07:14 PM
http://pageperso.aol.fr/tristanbarre/images/osgiliath.jpg Something like.

everlite
04-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Regarding the crop it's really down to personal preference depending on which direction you would like to take it. If you wish to add a camera move then cropping it down and panning up is one option, extending the edges and projecting a 3d camera move is another or you could extend the left and right and stay with a 3d matte.

- Dave

Ekarat
04-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Just wondering how do you post large pic? Do you have to be paid member?

everlite
04-25-2007, 03:06 AM
Personally i use a web server or www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com)

bechira
04-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Just wondering how do you post large pic? Do you have to be paid member?
try to use a free or paid external web server.

Regarding the crop it's really down to personal preference depending on which direction you would like to take it. If you wish to add a camera move then cropping it down and panning up is one option, extending the edges and projecting a 3d camera move is another or you could extend the left and right and stay with a 3d matte.

- Dave
Yes. I will have to think about step 4 in order to see how I will crop it. Anyways, if I crop this comp to make it 16:9, i will loose some space on top and bottom (of course :)). I think I will expand it both sides, because I'm afraid that I will expand it only on the felt side, Iwill encounter some exagerated persective issues.

SoniaNotRed
04-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Nice graveyard! :D Great moods in all the pics.

milanschere
04-27-2007, 10:26 AM
now, you seem to be way ahead of most people.
it's looking good, too.

Quadart
04-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I like the first WIP.
I agree with Dave's comment #22. A little more drama between light and shade would go a long way for this one.

bechira
05-20-2007, 02:21 PM
i was so busy these days, but I will try to finish this one but I will stop on stage3...don't have time for stage4.

bechira
05-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow, alot of good comps were made in this challenge. It will have a tough competition. Sooo coool!
finally after a looooog pause on this one I hope to have some time to finish it....so I managed to make some updates for the step3. Please tell me what you think.Here is the pic:
http://www.bechira.sorin.upcnet.ro/cgtalk/nhm_step3_wip03sm.jpg

nickmarshallvfx
05-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Wow...

This is fantastic, probably my favourite so far! Looks amazing, and is just the style that I like :)

Nick

Inlakechh
05-26-2007, 02:59 PM
This is looking great Sorin,
I think you can work a little bit on the center. To me the details there look kind of irritating. Cleaning up the shapes might help. :)

bechira
05-26-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm so happy that u like it.
Yes, I was carried away with all those details in the center of the comp. I will work them out. Thank u for your feedback.
I also repaired the ruined structure on the left side...it is too clumpy and also added some more wines/ivy and some backgrund buildings also...I will post it soon.
Any other ideas are welcomed.

bechira
05-26-2007, 04:01 PM
And here's a small update based on changes suggested and some more tweaks..damn it is so hard to work at 4k res...had to reduce the working size at 2k :(...it is now almost final...still I am open to any suggestions. here is the pic:

http://www.bechira.sorin.upcnet.ro/cgtalk/nhm_step3_wip04sm.jpg

Quadart
05-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Looking good. This has that dreamy, early cinematic look with the dark vignette.
One crit. The vines on the roof arches should be hazed back to match their surroundings. Right now they appear to be part of the foreground flora.—My initial perception.

bechira
05-26-2007, 04:21 PM
u're right of course...stupid me :D . I will change that asap. Thank u for your observation.

SoniaNotRed
05-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Still looking good. :thumbsup: The only thing I think I'd change would be the level of haze on the building, putting it half way between the solid foreground and the more hazy backgound, so the museum won't look "fused" to the ruins.
Looks like you're almost done. :)

bechira
05-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Thank u Sonia. I hope I managed it in this update :|
I made some fog and backgrund adjustments, and also reworked some foregrund elements...and I think it is coming very close to the final shot...I have to make a barke for a couple of days to look at it with fresh eyes:

http://www.bechira.sorin.upcnet.ro/cgtalk/nhm_step3_wip05sm.jpg

SoniaNotRed
05-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Yep, it's a bit more defined now. :thumbsup:

bechira
05-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Thank you Sonia for your feedback.

Anti2007
05-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Great lighting in this, very moody, and very nice background also, it really feels like the building is sitting in a ruined city.

Rockhoppermedia
05-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I love this one mate, a place I would like to visit.

Regards

Rich

kbarts
05-28-2007, 08:04 PM
looks cool! it could be used in a movie, very realistic! My crit: over the steps need to be more darken because the light comes right (maybe behind the building).
And what kind of chains are on the roof pillars?

Ivy00
05-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I love this, I agree with quadart on the early cinematic look it has. I keep waiting for dracula or the wolfman to jump out at me. Great stuff :)

JJASSO
05-29-2007, 05:58 PM
great one sorin I love the fantasy film look you give the final image

nice background elements and overall concept good luck on the finals !

Inlakechh
05-29-2007, 07:04 PM
I agree that its very photoreal. Great work, Sorin.

bechira
05-29-2007, 07:57 PM
wow. thank u all! I'm so happy that u like it.

Keating
05-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Excellent work, the choice of having the 'camera' sit behind all those vines/bushes/foliage was excellent, really gives you a feeling of discovery. Very nicely constructed. Congrats!

bechira
05-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks Keating! I'm happy that u got the feeling.

calligrapha
05-31-2007, 06:38 PM
I like it. It looks really great. Congratulations!

bechira
05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks Calligrapha! Nice to see u here.

Inlakechh
06-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Good luck for the judging, man :).

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2007, 09:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.