PDA

View Full Version : XSI on linux

PenGuin
01-03-2002, 06:29 PM
Since XSI went Linux platform got few questions.

Does XSI works on every linux or only on Redhat ??

How is a performance - I've heard that XSI on linux is a bit faster.

Ota
01-04-2002, 08:45 AM
I've heard that it is a little slower, due to linux ogl performance.
Supposedly they will be more or less equal once drivers and linux ogl support have caught up.

y2mii
01-04-2002, 01:37 PM
actually i heard that is more stable and faster on linux then on a Win system.

PenGuin
01-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Ok - I've made some research and corect me if I'm wrong.

XSI is a lot faster when it comes to rendering and memmory menagement on Linux but there are some problems with Open GL.

Ota
01-05-2002, 06:39 AM
By the way, there is a nice benchmark site comparing 1.5.3 and 2.0. If you ever doubted the stories about mr 3 preformance, check this :D
There is only one Linux entry now but there will certainly be more in the future to compare.

http://users.pandora.be/geert.deleu/benchmark.html

macoy
01-13-2002, 07:29 AM
is xsi for linux free for download somewhere? I am really sick at gettting crashes over 5 times a day.

PenGuin
01-13-2002, 08:48 AM
The price is the same - either it is for Microsoft or Linux.

jordibares
01-14-2002, 03:01 PM
Are not any other users?

Well, here it goes.

XSI work very fast on Linux, specially having many aplications running, even a rendering taking place you can work quite confortable. And that means, work, not fiddling arround.

I would love to hear about other users sensation versus the windows version. Specially the dopesheet feedback when you have a huge setup with keyframes everywhere.

About the stability is quite good but i would desire more, as usual. ;-)

hope it helps
jordibares

macoy
01-14-2002, 03:08 PM
I would lile to try the linux version. but how can I afford to do that, i am just a poor student and my school doesn't even have sp3 for xsi 1.5 which is so crashy....:(

jordibares
01-14-2002, 03:41 PM
For small studios i prefer on windows but when there is some security and heavy work with different integration issues... linux is much more flexible.

But have to say that is still a little bit to work in the linux itself and xsi for linux... but soon will be really cool

jordibares

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.