PDA

View Full Version : modeling and rigging a tail question

hopper2k
03-10-2003, 05:44 PM
I am modeling a tail on a deer, and I am going to animate it. In which direction should I model the tail. At a rest position, in which the tail would be in a downward position, or should I model it pointing straight back, in a stiff position. Since I am going to put a bone in this tail to move it, what would be the smartest way to go about modeling it. Thanks.

SaucyJack
03-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi
I was just about to post a similar thread. Im rigging a cat at the minute and am stewing over a similar problem with regards to its tail. This is my first character rig so im open to suggestions about how to rig it. I think splineIK may be the way to go for mine but yours could be different. Arent deer's tails really short and stubby? I modelled my tail curved but now im rigging it i think should have modelled it straight and horizontal.

Any suggestions?

Sorry about hijacking your thread before you even got a reply. Seemed a bit daft to start another thread as both questions are "Tail" related.
:hmm:

HADES
03-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Model your tail in stiff mode like that you can achieve all position easyly..................

CLT
03-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Hi,

I suggest you lay the tail bones out in the horizontal - as
you can then set up a little expression to - wag that thing -
with joint lag.

only a suggestion....

_vine_
03-13-2003, 03:26 AM
You should think about what kind of extremes the character will be in and position that tail in a midpoint between them.

In the example of a deer -> the tail doesn't move up or down very much, and moves mostly left and right. I would suggest the tail be placed at around a 15-30 degree angle (relaxed position) from the main body.

You will get better deformation in your model by using a relaxed position.

For something like a cat, or other animal with a long tail, I usually put a slight bend up or down in the rigged tail if it will help deformation (depending upon the extremes of the animation). Unless you wanted to fk the tail, I would suggest spline ik with clusters for rigging the tail.

I hope this helps

:beer:

SaucyJack
03-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanx for the input people:buttrock:

Been setting up the cat's spine with fk/ik and thought a similar thing coud be done on the tail.

Might be over complicating things slightly though.

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.