PDA

View Full Version : Robotech Interest: Anime Project

nemai
04-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Robotech Interest: Anime Project

Any Robotech, Japanese anime mecha hobby fans out there? I have a project I am putting together for an artist group of similar interest types to create the pilot for an animation series. I may also start it off as a manga, but the idea is to have a fun cool group of creative talent contributing for an awesome array creative elements for an entertainment project.

Check Out EF1 Home (http://www.orangepixel.bravehost.com/Alternate%20Pages/EF1_Home_Layers.htm)
(http://www.orangepixel.bravehost.com/Alternate%20Pages/EF1_Home.htm)

calilifestyle
04-16-2007, 06:49 AM
did you see the new moive . go buy it its sweet

nemai
04-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Yeah I just bought it, it's great. The 3D space ships are especially cool. The writing was excellent, and I hope they come out with more. I am not superior so as to criticize, but I would have done more with the character detail and style, and definately more with the alphas. They look too pure 3D, rather than toonshade, to match the rest of the animation, (such as with Appleseed the movie), which was totally excellent in my opinion, but minor quible. That Appleseed movie style is what I have in mind for EF1. Please refer if you know any fans who would like to be on the EF1 art team.

- Rick Bruce

Kid-Mesh
04-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Hello Nemai,

Awesome idea for a project I must say. If I could offer any advise it would be to look to the Shirow project as they have created very high quality and pro level work in a similar vein. Since Robotech is kinda the same flavor it wouldnt be considered a light comment that you should be prepared for a very long production road :)

Luckily for you though, the Shirow project has provided an excellent blueprint not only showing how to approach putting together something like this. You have access to information whereas you can learn from their experiences as well.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

nemai
05-05-2007, 07:44 PM
UPDATE: EF1 BATTLOID PROGRESS

If you want a modeling challenge, as well as an engineering challenge, this top of the line. Designing an original mech is no simple task, especially if it is transforming like this one is. This progress is a blast to work on, and the results I think are going look killer, especially after the battloid is posed. As you can see from the first page, I spent some time working on real hinges and joints for the limbs. I am designing this mech to have real working parts that can be made into models, and the design to be realistic that it might have realism as an actually standing fighting machine of the future.

I am gaining experience with the problems of working parts and transformable areas of the machine. I found after trying hinge type joints for the arms, that like the human body, the ball and socket type joints work best for shoulders and hip areas. I designed a working ball joint, then implemented for these different areas. I spent time studying existing mechs like Gundam for clues on construction. I want to differ from Gundam types design in that I do not want an apron type covering for the hip joints, and I want to be able to rotate and bend the waist.

I am not sure how the fighter mode will turn out, as the wings have the challenge of folding up so they look good in battloid mode, but being big enough to give the fighter mode a recognizable appearance (unlike Gundam). I just designed a cool booster unit to go between the wings, something like the booster on the super armored valkyrie, 2nd edition. The folding wings you see on the second page started out with a center stick wing, but I decided it was too complicated. Another thing with transforming battloids from Robotech is that while very cool, they donít have realism in the connections between parts because they shift to other areas to make the fighter. I want the limbs to have realistic, strong, combat capable arms and stuff, so the result is a figure which does not fold around so much, but simply straightens and tucks, and the wings fold out over the body. I donít know how it will turn out, but I think with the wings and nose cone it will look like a fighter, however I might need to fold up limbs some way to make it work.

Check out the EF1 Home page (http://www.orangepixel.bravehost.com/Alternate%20Pages/EF1_Home_Layers.htm)

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2007, 07:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.