PDA

View Full Version : Character - Warrior

KazuyaMochu
03-10-2003, 05:03 PM
hey, I made this model for porfolio, and I'm basiclly done with texturing and modeling.
I just haven't added detail for the elbows and knees, etc.
I have a 512 texture for the body and a 256 for the head (thinking of droping to 128)

the polycount is 718 so far, but will rise.

tell me what you think.

http://kazuya.gamedev-pt.net/public_img/warrior_pic.JPG

Kazuya Mochu

Prs-Phil
03-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Ace, very good balance between Polycount and Skin. Its really low but the skin makes it look great. Proportions are correct and fine I cant see any seemes at the moment maybe the skin at the elbows is not anatomicley correct but I still like it :)

Good model

KazuyaMochu
03-11-2003, 01:07 PM
hey, thanks, Phil

As for the elbows... yes, I gess they are a little weird.
I kind of neglected thoes details for now, but still, I'm not sure if you ar looking to the bottom of the tricepds that I also think are a little low.:rolleyes:

I'll try to make changes to it

Thanks again

Kazuya Mochu

KazuyaMochu
03-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Here is a wire frame and textures

http://kazuya.gamedev-pt.net/public_img/ss2.jpg

not actual texture size, obviously
had them fit the image

behave

Kazuya Mochu

KazuyaMochu
03-13-2003, 10:36 PM
other than crits, I was also looking for sugestions as for color schemes, and textura variations.

so if any on of you have a sugestion, I'd apreciat it, since I'm not very happy with the red stripes on the guy.

Kazuya Mochu

Prs-Phil
03-14-2003, 11:32 AM
hmmm black would look weird to ... IŽd do this

Make the armor look really scratched and destroyed and the stripes should be bearly visible.

:)

jussing
03-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi!

No offense to anyone else, but I think this is definately one of the finer models posted here in a while...

First of all, some people have problems with creating a good FIGURE, but this one looks good.

Second, beforementioned models usually have a poly count of 2000, but this one looks better, with less than 1000.

Wauw! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
- Jonas

mage111
03-14-2003, 05:23 PM
agreed jussing,

you've done very well on this model, the only crit i see is the ass looks just a bit flat, not really noticeable at all, and if i were to make a crit its that

but im really astounded at the low poly character, great work!

bugo
03-14-2003, 05:28 PM
ok, that is VERY nice, like just you guys said, i will never be able to do something like this in too few poligons!
I love the colors in the suit too!

Great job!

Asorson
03-14-2003, 09:56 PM
This is very nice, whatever you do don't ruin the texturing by dirtying or grungifying it to all hell like everyone seems to love to do so much. Nothing makes a good skin look worse than slapping a bunch of random muck and grime all over it. It was cool in Quake, not cool anymore.

[DSmod]Tweak
03-14-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Erik Asorson
This is very nice, whatever you do don't ruin the texturing by dirtying or grungifying it to all hell like everyone seems to love to do so much. Nothing makes a good skin look worse than slapping a bunch of random muck and grime all over it. It was cool in Quake, not cool anymore.

I agree, and usually I would disagree but for this model I think the cleaner the better. I don't know it's just my out look on it. Do what you wish. :thumbsup:

CGmonkey
03-14-2003, 10:52 PM
Very good distribution of polys and edxtremly good for the polycount! Nice work dude! :beer:

KolbyJukes
03-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Wow! You did so much with so few polies.

Of course I know nothing about low poly modelling.

Nonetheless, great work.

-Kol.

KazuyaMochu
03-15-2003, 01:55 PM
well, thanks for the coments, I apreciate it!

as for texture, I would have to agree with the no dirt os cratch look. I mean... It's not that I don't like it, or that it would look bad, but it is very hard to get a good looking crisp or stratch in that texture, that I'm afraid I'll just ruin it...
Plus, its a mirrored texture, and I will probably end up with a texture that will look obviously mirrored, and not a lowprofile mirror.

Still, I do have some scratches and crips, but only on the hard egdes and thei are very soft.

I was thinkig of changing the color of the stripes, or even maybe remove them or change their shape, because I don't feel they are satisfying, at least not for me I meen.

As for the policount, yes, I do try to get as less as I can, but I am still putting in some more detail, but since I got it textured, Is esier.

thanks again,

best regards,

Kazuya Mochu

Rivendale
03-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Very nice model with so few polys!
My suggestions are to tone down the black lines a bit and add some subtle coloring to the armour, it looks a bit too grey I think. If you plan to add some more polygons I think it would be cool if you actually modelled the opening for the eyes.

Good work!

Bladestone
03-16-2003, 06:06 PM
Cool, I think a weapon or something would go well with him.....

KazuyaMochu
03-16-2003, 07:20 PM
Well, as for weapons, I was kind of thinking of a big hightech looking sword. I just don't know if I'm going to achieve it, but I'm kind of keen to it

thanks for the comments

Kazuya

KazuyaMochu
04-30-2003, 12:09 AM
oh, this post is very old, sorry to bring it up
But I have un uptate, and I didn't want to make a new thread.

so, I changed the color, and added some grease on the metal. Also I made it slytly more contrasty.
the policount is still the same, but I'm hoping to rig him and animate at least a walk or a run with gun

also I was thinking of a hitech sword for gun. what you think?

closeup
http://www.truedimensions.net/marcovale/public_img/greese.JPG

full shot
http://www.truedimensions.net/marcovale/public_img/new_color.jpg

KazuyaMochu
04-30-2003, 08:31 PM
hey guys, just made de sword for him. its a little beta, but it's so you can see what I had in mind.

also the riging is awfull....but any way I just wanted the pose.

tell me what you think

BiTMAP
05-04-2003, 06:10 PM
you could slap a bump map on him and renderhim and people would drool :)

Its very good work only can think of perhaps adding some shadows to the skin under the armor.. your sword is pretty kool :)

All in all I like.

turbo
05-04-2003, 07:25 PM
First.. its really nice to see such low poly work.
I like the teal colour better than the beige, tho, and agree that the skin could use more shading and contrast.
His arms are so nice that they need the butt and quads to be a bit more muscular for balance.
The front lower torso looks a little flat and tight but overall I think you've done a really good job. :)

Pizza
05-05-2003, 03:11 AM
I think he would look cooler if you gave him a huge hammer or mace. Instead of the sword. But i like what youve done so far.. very awsome for such a low poly model.. GJ keep it up!

Confracto
05-05-2003, 04:28 AM
Definitley a hammer. A hammer would rock!

great job on the model, but one thing on the texture is kinda bugging me, the panels on the abdomen look really flat and painted on.

BiTMAP
05-05-2003, 06:26 AM
A hammer that fits the head would be nice :)

KazuyaMochu
05-05-2003, 02:15 PM
The muscles on the pad are just visual aids. it's weird

remember the roman armors? they had chests stamped on, even if the warrior was skinny. this was to make them look stronger, and to distiguish the front from the back, in production fase.

I just made it, to give the illusion of muscles. like under the arms. it's like a t-shirt with bullet-proof plates sewed on top.

It's like if it was made to fit the Muscles.

If you say so... I'm gonna start drawing some hammers, and maybe axes. and guns... what ever. I'll just go crazy on the pencil

thanks for replays and sugestions!

Kazuya Mochu:)

babozor
05-05-2003, 04:13 PM
The grease 4 the metal is fine, but i think the new color made him too "happy" (if we can say happy for these kind of character).
The old color was much better i think.

The sword is too FF-style oriented (who could carry a 500 pounds sword in real life???? not me at least)... or is it the way u want to give to your character...

By the way, i really like your mod (really great, and i LOVE the style of the helmet), and their is a great work for the texture...

so keep it on... :bounce:

KazuyaMochu
05-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Hey ppl I just did this drawings of weapons. I would like to know whish one you like best.

it was quite fun to draw this!

I almos forgot how good it is to draw with a pencil that is acctualy sharp!

here they are:

http://www.truedimensions.net/marcovale/public_img/weapons.jpg

chose you weapon!

Kazuya Mochu

bugo
05-05-2003, 10:33 PM
1st one is kicking ass, really!

Neil
05-05-2003, 11:56 PM
this is 700 polys?

I'm not calling your a liar :) but it looks like more than that. Especially around the neck/head and wrists.
Are you doubling what it says in the viewport?

KazuyaMochu
05-06-2003, 12:09 AM
I'm not a liar. And I'm no rooky in max. I acctually know how to count poligons. I mean... I let Poligon couter do it. and I allways work with editable mesh, not editable poligon. and with all edged visible.

this acctually was a test to my self. I wanted to do it very low poli.

I can send you the mesh, if you want to...

I'm not the kind of guy that goes like... "I did this in one day"... or, "I did it in an afternoon, and the texture at night"

Im not trying to trick any one, and specially, to trying to trick my self.
no ofence, but all in all, you replay was a complement acctually.

thanks

Kazuya Mochu

by the way, now It is allmost 800 because of the extra detail for knees ans elbows.

but while your at it, Tell me which weapon you like better

jdevin
05-06-2003, 12:36 AM
I like the warhammer.

AC_Shrike
05-06-2003, 01:00 AM
Very nice work, Kazuya. Tight texture work, as well.

babozor
05-06-2003, 09:05 AM
i hesitate beetween the first and third...
But i definitely think the first is the best for that character.

Neil
05-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Ok man, again, i wasn't trying to give you a hard time, just asking if you knew to check triangles and not quads.
Sounds like you got a bit upset :)

Weapons:
1. Cleanest, best overall design.
2. Not really sure what it is... 2 sided hammer? Looks kinda like a car jack. Not deadly enough.
3. Blade look too weakly attached to the base, like they will break off easily.
4. Seen it before, not as cool as the first. Still interesting, but just not fitting in this instance.

What about a hammer (or pointed blade) at the end of a longer pole. More of a sledge hammer length, than a house hold hammer?

Lemme know what you decide on.

KazuyaMochu
05-06-2003, 06:00 PM
hey neil... no ofences taken. no problem

I just took the chance to say that it wasn't easy, nor I wanted to make belive that reducing the policount was easy.

nothing directed to you.
weapons.. yes... I get feed back that the first weapon fits the warrior design better then the others...

what If I made that one, with the blade on the other end of the pole, and the pole being longer?

cheers

Kazuya Mochu

Neil
05-07-2003, 12:17 AM
I would say, sure, go for it.

Don't make it abnoxiously long and sharp though (i'm just getting bored of characters having HUGE guns and SUPER big knives...etc.etc.) I see it as being a more crude smashing and breaking bones. You know how they used to be in medival times. Use the hammer end to knock them on the ground, then use the pointed end to pierce the armor.

goodlag
05-07-2003, 04:16 PM
I like the model, its looking good,

I love ..1000tri under Lowpoly work..:drool:

KazuyaMochu
05-08-2003, 12:28 PM
hey guys,

I was trying to make the first hammer in 3d... and I wasn't getting it right. so I went back to drawing it properly.

while I was at it, I also draw a rifle. I liked it, and so I decided to paint it in photoshop.

here's the resault.

http://www.truedimensions.net/marcovale/public_img/rifle_color.jpg

I'm seriously thinking of making this one also!

think I should model it? or shouldn't I wast my time at all?

Kazuya Mochu

ansiaaa
05-08-2003, 01:54 PM
cool it reminds me a guy seen years ago in a live of a sci-fi rpg!

Neil
05-09-2003, 01:28 AM
Argh, i knew he'd end up with a rifle :( haha

It's your model man, we can't tell you what to do. But like i said, every 2nd character posted on cgtalk has some futuristic big gun with them. I'm guilty myself, but let's spice it up. You can animate it doing cool shit with a hammer or knife. But whatever.
Everyone comes on here to model and design the ultimate main character that won't die, but what ever happened to modeling the secondary characters, that aren't superhumans and that have faults?

Still your first model was good, so maybe it'll turn out "alright". :)

Neil
05-09-2003, 01:29 AM
*cough Unreal Tournament
LOL

KazuyaMochu
05-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Neil, I'm still doing the hammer (my favorite)

about the rifle: "I'm seriously thinking of making this one ALSO!"

the hammer is there

ok, i'll explaine.

the model has the oportunity to get into a game. as infantry troops. so they will need a gun. there are going to be dozens of them. that's way the low policount. but it doen't mean they will be in close combat.

but I really prefer the hammer. but making a hammer fit this charachter is the challange, you know? the fun. but it's hard like hell. because it looks good drawn, but i'm having trouble modelling it.
but dont worry, the hammer will be out before the gun. So you will get to see it!

cheers :beer:

Kazuya Mochu

Neil
05-09-2003, 08:00 PM
What if you incorporate a gun into the hammer?!

Like those old medival knives where the barrel ran along the blade of the knife?
Hehe, i'm just excessively bored today.

KazuyaMochu
05-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Actually, that's not a bad idea at all... maybe just a little hard to mix together. but may be quite good.

I think there was a girl in FF that had a gun with a blade. Now a hammer?

hum. this is going to be fun! :D

I've got to give it a shot.

Kazuya

the_zed_axis
05-13-2003, 07:50 AM
how about some tips on the texturing for us lesser mortals lol

KazuyaMochu
06-04-2003, 11:59 AM
well, sorry for diging this up, but zed axis, what kind of tips do you mean? I don't think you could learn much about texturing from me... I mean, it's not my "forte".

but I'de be glad to help, if you have any specific questions!

btw, guys, the "hammer-with-gun" is allmost drawn. I'll post it as I have it!

cheers,

Kazuya Mochu

jeandenis
07-14-2003, 06:18 PM
The overall color palette works, the model looks really good thanks to the textures.
The only thing I noticed at the beginning are the feet, to me they seem almost too short, but that could be just me.

Otherwise it looks great for such a low poly count. I would keep the first color scheme though.

Can't wait to see it animated

Cheers
Jean-Denis

animation (http://www.jeandenis.net/animation.htm)

jum'bok
07-15-2003, 02:41 AM
i like the first weapon. v.nice work so far, but you're breaking the rule that you should never have pure black on a texture.

KazuyaMochu
07-15-2003, 02:40 PM
gezz this is still alive?

thanks for the comments.

well. dind't know about the black thing. I do use alot of black some time.
why shouldn't pure black be used?

as for animation.. well... I did make a walk look. just never puted it in.

alot of ppl talk about the policount. but you have to se I dind't have to make a face. so I saved alot of poligons right there!

ok... so... yeah, maybe I'll make some sort of animation for him...

thanks again!

Kazuya Mochu

Neil
10-13-2003, 05:46 AM
Update?

KazuyaMochu
10-13-2003, 04:59 PM
As a matter of fact, I have done a version of the new weapon, as you sugested -> gun with hammer, or hammer gun as I call it.

this is the final model. I'll texturing it as soon as possible.

http://kazuya.gamedev-pt.net/public_img/hammer_gun.gif

Kazuya Mochu

Neil
10-13-2003, 06:00 PM
i was really expecting more for 3 months of work :D

KazuyaMochu
10-13-2003, 06:27 PM
no... I just never touched it again... to bad. full of work here.

but I will do the texture, and an animation (I hope) showing the warrior using the weapon.

Cheers,

Kazuya Mochu

skyboy
10-15-2003, 06:59 AM
can anyone tell me wut kind of software to made this model?
Maya or 3d max..or etc..?

KazuyaMochu
10-15-2003, 10:55 AM
I used 3DSmax 5, modeled with editable mesh.

don't remember if I said this before, sorry!

textures where done in photoshop 6, using a wacom tablet to help out

Kazuya Mochu.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.