PDA

View Full Version : nhm challenge Rockhopper

Rockhoppermedia
04-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Im in will be posting shortly

rich

Rockhoppermedia
04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/250216/250216_1176665024_large.jpg

Been having a play with the plate. I never show anyone my sketches as they are awful, i just showing what i have in my minds eye in a simple way. Still wondering what to do with the image aspect as i would prefer it to be letterbox, am i able to to extend to the right?

Look forward to your comments,

Rich

Prolific poster, terrible painter.

Rockhoppermedia
04-15-2007, 08:31 PM
http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/250216/250216_1176664929_large.jpg

More ideas flowing out, i keep thinking of HG Wells and the Time Machine and the race of beings that live underground.

Rich

JJASSO
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi , I edited your post so everyone view your sketch faster,

I like the concept and I specially liked a lot that water running down to the crater , I think it is looking promising, I'll be looking forward for more, good luck

Rockhoppermedia
04-19-2007, 06:37 PM
I am concerned about the the perspective problems with this comp. Am i able and allowed to correct the perspective of the plate from 18mm to around 24-50 mm. This is really screwing up my composition. It also has an adverse effect on the Vanishing point tool?

I have just recieved a book written by scott kelby, what a photoshop guru this guy is. I am completely self taught on photoshop and this was a revelation to me. I have also been commisioned to cover an event for two weeks so whilst I am smudging with my camera I will be up to the small hours trying to catch up with you guys.

I have looked at most of the entries so far, I am really impressed.

Regards Rich

Photographer to the stars.

Rockhoppermedia
04-21-2007, 04:28 PM
I have sketchup on my computer, for a laugh i decided to to use the photo match option to create a basic model. Spent four hours diligenty lining everything up and then i did a orbit of the model. I could not stop laughing as the model looked like a picasso. My intention was to create a model then import it into blender and do a camera projection rig. Back to the drawing board.

I know Dave (everlite) was wondering about how to do the grasses and foliage, i think i might have solved the problem.

On Ice age two they needed a quick way to replicate fur, they used 'cards'. I believe the fur was painted onto virtual cards. and the cards were placed on the skin of the animal at an angle. 90 degrees for porcupine for instance or 2 degrees for soft wooly mammoths. They built up many layers without having to animate as the cards were ik linked to the skin.

This is were it gets crazy if you paint repeating foliage onto 'cards' and place many of these in a scene at varying angles to the view of the camera pov. You will have created a multiplane effect inside the model. Similar to how theatres use flats to build up a set adding perceptual z depth. By varying the angles any camera move will have the 3d effect. You could also move the camera through cover. More interesting you could have moving images such as lava/water/dust motes.

I have not tested this theory yet as i dont have the tech to try this out. These ideas come to you in a pub after a shandy or two.

Rich

should be painting.

Sleeping of a afternoon in a beer garden.

Rockhoppermedia
04-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Links to museum floor plans for any one interested.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/galleries/floorplans/index.html

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/galleries/floorplans/green-zone/green-zone.html

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/galleries/floorplans/blue-zone/floor-plans-blue-zone.html

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/history-architecture/ceiling-panels/index.html

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/history-architecture/architecture-tour/ceiling-arches/index.html

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/history-architecture/architecture-tour/ceiling-arches/monkeys/index.html

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/history-architecture/waterhouse-building/index.html

Regards

Rich

Rockhoppermedia
05-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Just got back from assignment and completely worn out. I can now start working on my project now. i feel as if i have been left behind so hope to catch up soon

Regards Rich

Ivy00
05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
good, I can't wait to see updates :)

Rockhoppermedia
05-26-2007, 09:07 AM
I have been so busy at work I have not had the oppurtunity to finish my museum piece. Instead of a comp I am using the experience to learn new things. Image at the moment is a bit of a mess I have so many layers going on the file is creeping to the 500mb size. I would like to know how to paint a flat area of colour that looks textured. So far it looks over saturated and flat. A friend of mine let me borrow his computer terminal at work that has photoshop cs3 extended on it i have been playing with the animation so if i have time I could birds, fog and moving water into the image.

I will post an update thumbnail once i have tidied up the image. Many regards

Rich.

Ivy/Marco your stuff has blown me away. Krenz love the snow.

Rockhoppermedia
05-26-2007, 10:02 AM
this is far as I have got so far not impressive like the rest of you guys, but i will crack on regardless. The areas i am working on are

Cyclorama= trees and background ruins

Pit= putting in foundations pipes sewer

Foliage= last part of the job

lighting= blooms highlights will be the final phase.

I know it is not photorealistic but I am new to this.

regards rich.

Cole
05-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Not sure I like the tree/roots thing in the bottom right but it looks like your off to a good start.

Inlakechh
05-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I think you should add more photos to be able to imagine the direction you want to take it.
The sky needs some clouds. Try avoiding repititions of elements in the way that its obvious they are copied. I like the idea. Keep going :).

Rockhoppermedia
05-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Work so far, I know i have a lot to catch up on.

Sky,
Foliage Mid and foreground
tree root
Moss
Lichen
lianas
London bus wreck?
lighting
atmospherics
levels and tones

SoniaNotRed
05-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Good idea using the lateral arches. :thumbsup:

Rockhoppermedia
05-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Working very slowly at the moment, but this is my latest update. I am struggling at the moment on tying the layers together so the colour range is more realistic. I need to do this at the end i know but colours look over saturated. I love the oil painting look that marcos has done. I dont have the time to order the dylan cole dvds to work out colour perspective. i feel as though i have hit a brick wall.

The water i can do
the foliage and leaf litter i can do

Clouds/sky/lighting I am struggling with. As well as making it look less like a montage and more like real life. It looks awful

Many regards Rich.

Inlakechh
05-28-2007, 03:40 PM
It's good you put some more photos in. Now you have to decide wether to adjust the color of the church to the sky or change the sky to a more natural tone and change the buildings color aswell. Have a look at those repeatitions on the column... just put in more photos ... search for roots to fit the sketched one on the left. this is the hardest part. Once you got enough material, working gets easier (just in case you haven't a slow computer like I have ... arrrg ;) ... stay on it.

Rockhoppermedia
05-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Still looking for roots, i know on my stock library at work I have a set of roots that will fit, but I am unable to get to them, have trialled a different sky tone and have included a mockup of a bus what do you think?

Rich

kbarts
05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
At first: Bus perspective and scale are off.
On your image i can not decide where come the light. Try to overpaint your image with big brush strokes (use only 3 or 4 colors, 1 for highlighs, 1 for shadows and between them) to make a basic sketch.
Try to paint with sharpen brush strokes.
I hope it can help you.
Do not give up! It is a good start.

Rockhoppermedia
05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Hiya

Will be doing a lot more on this image. went out and shot some background photos and have incorporaqted them into the back ground. The bus will be dealt with soon, trying to get a clean shot of a bus in london is a bit of a mare, especially when you only have half an hour for lunch. Mr kbarts thanks for your comments will be doing as you said soonest. the closing date is quite close now and I am have show you my work so far. Do not worry that the overall tone is a bit grey as i will put it back later. struggling with the water and the pit. found some logs and have shot them but i have not finished prepping them.

Cheers guys
rich

Inlakechh
05-29-2007, 07:41 PM
much better ... :). keep going ... put in photos of plants (try getting away of that unatural monotonic green). More light definition is going to help establish a mood. hope that helps.

Keating
05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
I like this quite a bit. I think if you could get some photo realistic texturing in there you'd have a really excellent piece. The wrecked bus was a great idea :)

Layer01
05-30-2007, 07:58 AM
great concept rockhopper :D
love the hole in the ground, with the pipes in it.
Its starting to really come together.
I know that "blocked" feeling, this has been a crazy learning curve for me as well, but persevere and you will make breakthroughs :D

keep the updates coming :buttrock:

Rockhoppermedia
05-31-2007, 10:38 AM
This is as far as I have got. Been burning the midnight oil and trying hard to finish. Is there anything i need to do or missed. I love painting but I am sick of looking at it prehaps a fresh pair of eyes would help. My pen tablet does not do pressure sensitivity I wish I had a Wacom it would be faster to work with.

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/250216/250216_1180603937_large.jpg

SoniaNotRed
05-31-2007, 10:48 AM
At this point, the only think I can think of is that the background buildings should be either darker or lighter so that the museum will stand out as the foreground.
And take it easy! :)

kbarts
06-01-2007, 10:46 AM
If you have time you should work on lighting. The deadline is extended to 6th June.

Rockhoppermedia
06-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I am on route to the airport to carry out a photo assignment so will be away for the next week. I am unable to work any further.

Could you do me a favour and look in on this thread, as I am going to a country that has no internet access. Bit cloak and dagger but that is the nature of the job.

Many regards Rich

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2007, 12:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.