PDA

View Full Version : 3d camera flying in 3d space ?

brox
04-15-2007, 05:03 AM
Hello friends !

I would like to know, how I can make a fly-through animation with AE and the 3d cam ? Hmm, I just want to create a look like you think you fly with the camera in a 3d space.

Hmm, I've uploaded a short animation just for showing you what I am talking about.

Look here: http://www.bernhardrieder.com/ask/deep.avi

Hmm, well I would like to make such an animation in AE, but just with 2d images, so that it looks like, the camera is flying to an object in depth.

thx for every little help,
bernhard

Mylenium
04-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Hello friends !

I would like to know, how I can make a fly-through animation with AE and the 3d cam ? Hmm, I just want to create a look like you think you fly with the camera in a 3d space.

Hmm, I've uploaded a short animation just for showing you what I am talking about.

Look here: http://www.bernhardrieder.com/ask/deep.avi

Hmm, well I would like to make such an animation in AE, but just with 2d images, so that it looks like, the camera is flying to an object in depth.

thx for every little help,
bernhard

Sure you can. What seems to be to problem?

Mylenium

Naseem
04-15-2007, 10:36 AM
add a camera in the top layer and togle 3D on the object layers so the camera can work

explorer-pl
04-15-2007, 12:24 PM
this is very easy to do. just turn on rd switch on each layer, and add a camera, like martok said.

next notice the dropdown with "Active Camera " option turned on (its in your comp view window). you can switch 3d views in there, just like in max, camera, prepective (custom camera), left, right and so on...

you can also enable 2 or more views from different angles for the same comp, just like in 3d scene.

so just setup your views the way you like it, and then just go throu each layer, and set its Z position to what you like. at the end animate the camera.

give it a try. you'll see thats its pretty easy. you can even turn on DOF and do many cool things...

cheers

brox
04-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Thank you guys for all your answers. Hmm, I didn't know that you can use in AE a 3d camera, with top, left, right view options etc. you have similar in 3dsmax.

But what I wanted to ask you, if I would like to make the animation that I've showed you with my short 3dsmax test-animation.

In AE, would you move the camera to get the animation or would you move the objects ?
And by the way, is it possible to create with the AE camera something like a cam-shake, as instance, something is exploding, and the wave from the explosion will hit the camera.

Thank you so much for every little help,
Bernhard

berniebernie
04-16-2007, 12:57 AM
You can animate X,Y,Z translation, rotation and X,Y scale; the only trouble with AE is that it creates planes, not volumes (though you can fake cubes with 6 planes) - but I'm sure AE is not looking to replace any 3d app

You can add expressions to all keyable properties to have effects such as shakes, and can drive your camera movement with expressions as well

I'd stick to a 3d app for better control of my elements though (and navigating around objects in AE is quite tedious and slow)

explorer-pl
04-16-2007, 01:08 AM
@brox

this is exactly what AE is made for. camera shakes, waves, explosions, and many many others. its all abut tricking the eye. if the solution, or way of doing a given effects is not elegant (for example fake 3d instead of real 3d imported from some other app) but it still gets the eye tricked - than its good, and its better to use AE than 3D for one basic reason: generally AE renders faster, and you can make adjustments on-the-fly without haveing to re-render everything in 3d and then reimporting it.

there are some things that you cannot do in AE ofcourse... but before running into hours and days of 3d rendering try to do some tests, what works best... try to minimize the chance of rerendering your 3D - for example - render seperate objects to use as layers - or use RPF/RLA output format... besides... i know most of 3D guys dont realize how powerfull postproduction and compositing is, and they tend to render their files with incredible high quality settings... and almost all the time it needs to be adjusted in a way, that takes away those details that took 3 extra days to render :) this is not alyways true... im just saying that if you'll ever run into creating a composition that includes some 3D renders just think twice, instead of rednering for two days :)

this really is a subject to write a book about, so if you'll have any more specyfic questions just ask :D

btw... thanks for some ideas for my next tutorials :) there are already many tutorials on creating a camera shake, so i'll skip that one, but i think i'll do the "shock wave" :)

cheers

mackdadd
04-16-2007, 01:18 AM
my camera shake video tutorial, if you want it. like explorer-pl said, there's plenty out there.

http://www.simplycg.net/viewtopic.php?t=2087

this really is a subject to write a book about
Some ILMers already have. 2 books, in fact.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321385527?tag=prolost-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0321385527&adid=0A821QJ0D8VCQG0ZXSXG&

http://astore.amazon.com/prolost-20/detail/0321303342/103-2113228-7557461

brox
04-17-2007, 02:08 AM
Thank you guys for all your help, that's really great.

@explorer-pl:
What are these formats you wrote about......... or use RPF/RLA output format ...... ?
What can I do with that and for what is it good for ?

Thank you guys for all your help, I really appreciate that much,
bernhard

explorer-pl
04-17-2007, 11:33 AM
you can render those from 3dmax and probably from any 3d app. the great thing about them is that they can contain additional info like Object ID, Material ID, Nurmals, , Z-Depth, and much more.

AE commes with several filters placed under 3D Channel category. those filters can read those data, and do some usefull and timesaving stuff.

probably you'll notice that the egdes of each extra channel in those files (like object id, or whatever) are not antialiased... and this might be a problem for a second, but don't worry. solution is very simple.

just render your footage with regular PNGs, and then turn off everything, that slows down the render. just leave the shapes. you can turn off lights, coustics, and lots of other stuff, just to get a black image while rendering to RPF/RLA again - but this time with twice the resulution. althou you'll not see anything on the screen (because you turned everything off) all the info gathered from the mesh and surfaces in your 3d scene will be there. and despite the fact it will be twice as big (resolution i mean) it should render blazing fast.

then just go back to AE, place PNG in the comp, place RPF in comp, size it down, and there you go - the edges are antialiased :)

i belive someone describet this technique better than me... im not a native english speaker and its hard for me to think and write in so specyfic english technical terms :p

just play around with RPF/RLA files. im sure you'll find them useful at some point.

btw - both formats can contain info about the camera movement ;) and AE can read that also!

caulfield
04-19-2007, 02:11 PM
hey there's a button that will do it for you. It's called F1, or RTFM - I did.

Took me ages to figire out how to make it work, but now I have. Think I'm just going to stop work and help you out? pffffft

rhodeder
04-20-2007, 07:07 PM
you should take this video tutorial

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/3dcompositing/3dcompositing.html

should help out alot.

AndrewKramer
04-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey, I've just uploaded a new tutorial for creating a cool fly through in AE.

http://videocopilot.net/tutorials.html

Might help some, nothing ground breaking but a nice result.

Best,
Andrew Kramer

rhodeder
04-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey man! Thanks for the tutorials! didnt realize you used cgtalk if you noticed on the message right before yours i refered him to one of your tutorials.

-Derek

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2007, 09:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.