PDA

View Full Version : 9700 Pro looks like crap in vp

visualboo
03-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Anyone know how to make this crap ass 9700 look better in the viewports? It's displaying in viewport textures at like 256 colors.

And this thing chugs too. How can I make it faster? Every second or so it (mouse and everything) stops for a split second. It's impossible to work with.

Note to self: ATI sucks

GregHess
03-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Hey Visual,

I've seen some solutions for the 9700 pro for max, but most of them just involve running software heidi instead. =/

I don't have a pic of the ati rollout here, but I'd pull up the various settings under the display properities and try adjusting any the ogl settings to maximum quality.

On the drive set I have here...

Under main settings (under ogl catalyst drivers) set to Quality.

Set anisoptropic filtering to application.

Disable AA.

Set texture preference to quality.

Set mipmap detail to high quality.

Make sure vsync is on.

If you want to increase performance, reverse everything I just said.

I've also seen some people having a bit more luck with d3d (the 9700 pro doesn't even support some of max's basic ogl viewport features), so try similar settings with the d3d settings, and try starting max with 3dsmax.exe -h to swap between the three.

If that doesn't work, I guess you always have software heidi. :(

Now the subtle stoping...that reminds me of the old nvidia click delay. What mboard you running this off of? Got the latest IDE/chipset drivers/AGP drivers?

loop29
03-10-2003, 06:06 PM
You should have a look a this document definitively!! http://nvworld.ru/docs/sfgl_e.html
driver up to version 1026 are supported !!

regards

dvornik
03-10-2003, 06:09 PM
If you do that could you give some feedback on the difference MAXimum viewport drivers make, please?

visualboo
03-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Thanks Greg. I tried all that a while ago but it's a no go. I thought there might be some system setting I've been overlooking.

I still can't explain that damn mouse thing. The only thing I did come up with was some opti.something.12 virus with a virus scan.

loop29: Actually I did that and I think that's what killed my system. Had to do a reinstall cause it just got worse and worse. Have I mentioned lately how much I hate ATI?

Problem solved with the reinstall btw. Still looks like junk in the vp tho... and not any faster than my gf4 4600 at home. Oh well.

Thanks for the support tho guys.

derelict
03-11-2003, 09:26 AM
i'll be surprise if max harness the 9700 better than g4. so it is actually a waste of moolah. looking at the bright side, u can play doom 3 with the added feature... cool huh!

loop29
03-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Which driver you used?
ATI added code to the drivers lately what can cause artifacts or BSOD when detecting PCI device ID override code in the driver.

regards

visualboo
03-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by loop29
Which driver you used?
ATI added code to the drivers lately what can cause artifacts or BSOD when detecting PCI device ID override code in the driver.

regards
I LOVE ATI!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.