PDA

View Full Version : LINUX TUTORIAL 1 -- Setting up an Asset management system.

KayosIII
03-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Hi folks -- I am about to start settin up an asset management system using Linux for my home studio.

I am a learn as I go type guy.... If you have any comments on how to improve the system I would be most interested.

If you don't use Linux don't worry all the programs I use can be run on other operating systems I just won't be covering that...

I have chosen PostgresSQL as the basis for this system. I could use any other Database system but I have previous experience with Postgres. I am investigating 2 frontends -- In the end I may end up using both... The first is called pg_access and is a graphical frontend for Postgres. The other will use php and Apache to create a web based interface...

The advantage the approach I am using is that it is network friendly... I can use the asset manager from any computer in a hetrogenous network...

Taos
03-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Hey, this looks very interesting. I'm on linux myself, but am looking for a asset manager that can be used from a web interface (on any platform). I've started looking at WebDAV which gives you a cross platform mountable filesystem and possibly subversion for revision control (think CVS for just about anything, including binary files). That would take care of managing large files, but it would probably need some sort of browsing interface for it. Just a couple ideas to throw into the pot. Keep me informed, I'm very interested in this.

KayosIII
03-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Cool I will look into both of those....
I was going to write part one last night but my internet conection disconnected.... I am particularly interested in getting CVS to work with this system. I do some more research

Danni

KayosIII
03-11-2003, 10:44 AM
This tutorial is going to be pretty advanced -- Ask questions if you need to. I will try and cover some of the basics in a few weeks starting with a walkthrough of a linux installation when Mandrake 9.1 is released.

At the moment I am planning to use Postgresql Database Server with either Apache & PHP to create a frontend or a program called pgaccess. I am investigating intergrating a revision control system such as CVS... So things might change a lot.

Setting up the components

1. All the components we need so far are included in the mandrake distrobution (and probably most other linux distros). I will be using the package manager in mandrake to do this [Mandrake Control Center->Software Management->Install Software]. The packages I need are postgresql, postgresql-server, postgresql-devel, postgresql-tk, php, php-common, php-pgsql, mod_php & apache. Use the search feature to find the packages you need quickly search for postgres then php then apache. Other linux distros should have simularly named packages.
2. Once the components are installed make sure they are running you can check this from [Mandrake Control Center->System->Services] make sure that the services httpd and postgresql are running and set to run from boot.
3. The only component that will not work now is the psaccess frontend. This is because pgaccess connects to our database server via an network connection and our server is set by default to accept local connections.... First we must get the database running to accept network connections secondly we must tweek the servers permissions so that we are allowed to connect to it.
* I got around the first problem by creating a file called postmaster.sh in /usr/bin. it contained the following:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/postmaster -i

you have to be the system administrator to do this. Which means either (if you are a KDE user) starting a file manager in super user mode [K->Applications->File Tools->File Manager - Super User Mode] or opening up a terminal and typing su. Either way you will need to supply the system administrator (root) password. If you are using the file manager simply navigate to the /usr/bin and [right click->Create New-> Text File] - name the file postmaster.sh open the file by [right click->Open With->Choose your favourite text editor] add the two lines above and save the file. The next step is to make the file executable you will need to [right click->Properties] go to the permissions tab and set the file to be exectuble for User, Group & Others. Press the OK Button.

Those using a terminal can type the following.
su
[system administrators password]
cd /usr/bin
joe postmaster.sh choose your favourite text editor here - I use joe. add the lines above to the file and save it (CTRL + K, CTRL + D in joe, CTRL + C to exit).
chmod 755 postmaster.sh
exit

* Next we need to modify the boot scripts so that postmaster gets started with the correct options. The -i tells the database server to accept network connections. The file we need to edit is /etc/init.d/postgresql we will need to edit one line - on Mandrake 9 it is line 50 and it looks like this

su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster start > /dev/null 2>&1" < /dev/null

all we are going to do is change /usr/bin/postmaster to /usr/bin/postmaster.sh.

* we now need to edit the securities file for postgresql it is called /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf there are a lot off examples in the file itself -you should be able to figure out what line you need to include (hint any line starting with a # is a comment) -- As an example the line I included looks like this

local all ident sameuser
host all 192.168.0.49 255.255.255.0 trust

* now you need to restart the database server on mandrake you can do this through [Mandrake Control Center->System->Services] find the entry that says postgresql and push the start button.
4. we need to set up your username for postgres you will need a terminal to do this....

su
[system admistrators password]
su -- postgres
createuser [your user name] follow the prompts give yourself all the permisions.
exit
exit

5. You should now be able to start pgaccess from [K->Applications->Databases->Postgresql Access] and start designing a database.

KayosIII
03-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Ok I did a bit more research.... And came up with something that looks really good - It is called DoXFS and uses the extendible XFS filesystem (courtesy of SGI) to implement a document manangement system including revision Control. The current version still needs apache and PHP... But this looks like it is going to fit the bill perfecty.

PlanetMongo
03-13-2003, 02:55 PM
XFS is very nice. I applied the XFS patches to a newer kernel than ships with Debian 3.0 (2.4.19, I believe).

KayosIII
03-14-2003, 03:20 AM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/doxfs/
This what I hope to be using you will have to scratch around for documentation.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.