PDA

View Full Version : field of view for modelling humans.

frix
04-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi, I'm right now modelling a human head again. When I'm using photo refrences I think most of the portraits have a very narrow fov around 85mm or even more (~25). So I'm wondering if it's better to model with 25 in perspective view instead of the standard 45.

What do you think? What fov do you use to model characters with the help of photo references?

tankut
04-14-2007, 09:48 PM
The reference images are only taken with as much zoom as physical shooting conditions allow so you can use them in ortho views. In my admittedly inexpert opinion it is better to stick with what you are used to, i.e. 45. You can always switch to ortho views whenever you want, and the 45 gives nice depth perception (I misused the term, but you get the idea) so you can better "feel" of the model when spinning it around and looking for flaws. As you flatten the perspective, it begins to feel "wrong" somehow, at least for me.

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2007, 09:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.