PDA

View Full Version : Can We Have Some Consistency Please?

hoochoochoochoo
03-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Some time ago, an XSI thread got closed down, locked, killed kaput! as it was deemed that discussing XSI on an Animation Master forum was toooo OT (AMlist terminology)

Now there's a maya thread up and running. Great! I learned a lot about the faults in Maya's renderer. There's also a "group up and buy C4D" thread going good and strong. Great, I'm all for mutual help groups.

Is there an anti softimage thing here or what?

Public is as public does. Just lets try to be consistent please.

My Gosh - I think I'm having a "Steve" moment....

Nonproductive
03-10-2003, 12:09 PM
I think it was more the way I presented the Softimage thread that Brian didn't like.

It wasn't intentional - but I think Brian read the Softimage thread as "go get EXP - screw Hash" - whereas the C4D and Maya threads began as more constructive discussions.

Prometheus666
03-11-2003, 09:00 PM
:annoyed:

That's part of the point of this forum. We bash Hash and say how other programs are better! Considering the way this forum was started, if anyone starts a thread saying "Hash sucks and this program is better", that's a perfectly legitimate thread. Hell, those sort of posts comprise about the half of the posts on the "What the heck is going on with HASH?" thread. Unless there was some other reason the thread was killed the moderator needs to lighten up.

I'm talking to you buddy! :D

Wegg
03-13-2003, 04:12 PM
I probably would have killed that one too. Just like I killed a few flame threads a while back. As moderators, we try and stear the conversations towards things we feel are "appropriate." No one gets kicked or chastized or anything like that. . . its just a little padlock icon we can put on topics we feel have strayed too far from the price of eggs in China. . .

Know what I mean?

hoochoochoochoo
03-13-2003, 04:28 PM
its just a little padlock icon we can put on topics we feel have strayed too far from the price of eggs in China. . .

ahh, you too must be a fan of the goons. Well, I accept your point Wegg, wasn't trying to bash Brian either but just felt a bit aggrieved but don't think I'm a pro-XSI anti-hash person please...

anyway, XSI costs more eggs than AM does.:D

Nonproductive
03-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Prometheus666
[BThat's part of the point of this forum. We bash Hash and say how other programs are better! Considering the way this forum was started, if anyone starts a thread saying "Hash sucks and this program is better", that's a perfectly legitimate thread. Hell, those sort of posts comprise about the half of the posts on the "What the heck is going on with HASH?" thread. Unless there was some other reason the thread was killed the moderator needs to lighten up.

I'm talking to you buddy! :D [/B]

I'm going to somewhat disagree with this post. The purpose of this forum is to build a community *around* the software, not *against* it. While "Hash Bashing" is ok, I would have to agree that there still needs to be something constructive out of the threads.

I am not a big fan of A:M... I was even one of those that got the free update to v10 and after 2 weeks of beating on it and reporting crash to desktop bugs I put it aside. I still arbitrarily crash and lose everything and since I can't repeat it, I can't report it. I check the new release notes with every version and run the program through it's paces for a couple hours to see if it's any better. Right now I'm waiting for v10i...

But, as the person that posted the XSI thread that got locked, I was not offended or surprised. I have hopes for A:M and think that a strong community like this will do wonders to improve the software in the future. Pushing people away from A:M without justification (like my XSI EXP thread) does nothing for the community as a whole.

My Fault
03-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Wegg
I probably would have killed that one too. Just like I killed a few flame threads a while back. As moderators, we try and stear the conversations towards things we feel are "appropriate." No one gets kicked or chastized or anything like that. . . its just a little padlock icon we can put on topics we feel have strayed too far from the price of eggs in China. . .

Know what I mean?

Egads, does this mean we can start calling Billy "Little Steve"? Kidding, kidding, don't send that ninja death squad after me! :p

Prometheus666
03-13-2003, 10:13 PM
The reason we have this forum is that the hash mailing list does not allow any criticism, any discussion of flaws, and no discussion of other 3D programs. We came here to avoid this and to have truly open discussions. The job of a moderator is to stop people from being jerks and keep the forum on topic. But the moderator should always err on the side of free expression when pursuing that goal.

". . . its just a little padlock icon we can put on topics we feel have strayed too far from the price of eggs in China. . . "

If you would have killed the thread you would have made the same mistake as the animation master forum moderator. You would have misunderstood the reason this forum was started.

Unless, as I have said, there was some other reason it was killed. But I don't know if it was appropriate or not, because it was killed.

Wegg
03-13-2003, 10:20 PM
It was padlocked. You can still see it can't you?

Nonproductive
03-14-2003, 12:50 AM
Sure can - it's right here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=43281

Prometheus666
03-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Sorry, I thought it was removed. My mistake.

But come on!
"the forum seems to be dominated by "use this instead of A:M" threads lately"

Lately? Lately? Again, this is the content of half the posts and always, Always, has been. That's why we're here. To complain about bugs, to compare Hash (positively or negatively) with other software, and yes, to ask each other for help with our Hash projects.

You have to understand, the Hash mailing list from which most of us come, was very, very strict. People got banned all the time for nothing at all. So a lot of people got sick of it and came here. Give us a break, please!

:cry:

Wegg
03-14-2003, 03:24 PM
/me hands Prometheus a Kit Kat.

balistic
03-14-2003, 07:53 PM
If there had been some mention of what the migration from A:M to XSI was like, or file compatibility, or pros and cons between the two apps, I would've let the thread live. However, it was more or less a self-contained press release for Softimage, and I couldn't see it's relavence to this forum.

In the future, I may try to steer such threads towards an A:M-related discussion instead of locking them. Sound good?

I'm never going to lock a thread just because I don't agree with it, but I do want to try and keep things centered around A:M, since that's why the forum is here.

Wegg and I are only two guys, in one timezone, who work most of the day. We can't catch everything by ourselves, but we do try to prioritize any reported threads or posts that are sent to us. The XSI thread was reported, so I checked it out. I'll try to get in here more, but since I spend a lot more time painting bump maps for dinosaurs that I do reading CGTalk, e-mail is still the fastest way to get my attention or discuss an issue.

http://www.bprince.com/DINO.gif
All my love,
Brian "not Steve" Prince

Prometheus666
03-14-2003, 09:40 PM
"In the future, I may try to steer such threads towards an A:M-related discussion instead of locking them. Sound good?"

That sounds great. Thank you. :thumbsup:

hoochoochoochoo
03-18-2003, 04:40 PM
If there had been some mention of what the migration from A:M to XSI was like, or file compatibility, or pros and cons between the two apps, I would've let the thread live.

Point taken. I'm happy to say sorry in public. If I lived in the US of A I'd happily buy you a beer so this will have to do instead...

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.