PDA

View Full Version : nhmChallenge_Luca Scacchetti

fearing
04-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Never done something like this before, but it seems really an interesting contest, and i would like to learn something more about matte painting, so i will try to complete it...

I've started to clean the plate, i still need to get rid of the stereo speaker on the right side and fix some perspective errors here and there...

http://www.lerune.org/blog/wp-content/nhm_challenge_plate-03.jpg

Goodluck to everyone!!

Bye

everlite
04-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi and welcome,

Great start, looking very clean and well done. Maybe add a few shadows where the floor meets the far walls but over all coming on very well.

Thanks for taking part, i look forward to seeing your work develope.

Cheers - Dave :)

Layer01
04-14-2007, 03:39 AM
nice start!
How did you clean the stairs and also how did you extend the blue floor decoration on the right?

fearing
04-14-2007, 06:39 AM
Thanks!

x everlite: you're right for the shadows, i completely forgot to add them to the floor and to some other places :D

x Layer 01: For the stairs i've cleaned a good portion of the upper part (lets say the first 10 steps) using the clone brush, then i duplicated the upper part and fit it in the lower part using layer transform (mainly distort and perspective).

If you look at the left side you can see that the shadow of the left wall of the stair stop at a certain point, that is because i've not yet added shadows to the lower part that i've cloned.

For the floor decoration i repeatedly cloned,rescaled ad modified with the perspective transform, the clean parte of the decoration in the lower part of the picture then i've fixed some small errors with the clone brush...

Today i will make a sketch of what i've in mind for the extension....

Bye

fearing
04-14-2007, 04:06 PM
http://www.lerune.org/blog/wp-content/concept.jpg
Sorry for the rough concept...

This is what i have in mind, a shower of asteroids almost destroyed humanity, the asteroids were not rocks but seeds and now they've started to blossom....

i would also like to add to the walls some parts in wood, builded after the disaster by the survivors... but i'm not sure yet.

everlite
04-14-2007, 04:47 PM
How refreshing, a concept sketch :) and looking very interesting. Try to remember not to divert too far away from the original plate, final judgement will assess how well the original plate was balanced with the final composition. In a real world senario it can sometime be very easy to go off on a tangent and forget the original plate, but you should remember that in a real world project the final plate will be selected by the director for many reasons and will need to hold equal strength in the final composition.

Another thing to remember, don't oversell your own imagination, do only what you know you can do in the time frame provided. Your concepts really does look like an original idea, but i'm asking myself if you're giving yourself too much of a challenge. Sure it's easy as a sketch but how will you approach this idea? will you create the plant from photo comps, 3d or paint? and then remember that it has to hold up and be believable, flowing seamlessly with the original plate.

All said i really do hope you continue this one, it's a great idea, but one that will need a lot of skill and thought i believe.

Another thought after looking over your sketch, i see that most of the wall is gone to the left, i understand that this may be due to the impact etc, but i think it would look quite nice if maybe the hole was a lot smaller to the far end/left of the roof and the spore/plant was more central to the frame possibly in the center of the floor area, with subtle beams of light from the left windows revealing the shape of the plant. Only an idea, please feel free to go with your own ideas :)

Good luck :thumbsup:

- Dave.

fearing
04-14-2007, 10:58 PM
wow everlite, thank you very much for your suggestions and advices!

I think you're right , perhaps i've chosen something a bit to complex considering the deadline ad that i'm not so much experienced in matte painting (i've only done some compositing of render and photos till now).

I could always leave out all the added wooden parts to the ruins and keep only the big bud and the vegetation all over the ruins, this should make it easier i hope.

I'm not sure at the moment how i will render the bud, i think i will make some test with photo comps, and if that does not works i will go for 3d.

I've done a quick sketch of the scene, this is only to test composition and to see if it is doable, so please ignore light errors and so on...

http://www.lerune.org/blog/wp-content/nhm_challenge_plate-05.jpg

Bye and thanks again for the support.

everlite
04-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah that works really well, needs comping in a little but the raw image has potential. I like how you've used the roots, they kinda remind me of the new world of the worlds, that red stuff near the end.

Just one note, notice that the left wall leads into another part of the building with the arches so not too sure how much trouble it would be to somehow add further ruins behind the first wall, if that makes any sense :)

- Dave.

milanschere
04-14-2007, 11:21 PM
this is getting moody. that's nice.

fearing
04-16-2007, 06:13 PM
thanks all for the comments!

x everlite: yes i think i will try to reconstruct the ruins of that part...

I've collected a fair amount of photos of ruins, fallen walls and so on and i've started to add some decay to the front wall...

http://www.lerune.org/blog/wp-content/nhm_challenge_plate-06.jpg

I will follow this process: first i will add walls and floor structural damage, then plants,vines,roots and the bud, then dust and small debris and finally color and shadows corrections...

i don't know if this is the right way but it seems a good way to me... at least i hope :D

Bye

everlite
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Sounds good to me, though the hole in the recent pic looks a little too round maybe. Best of luck with this one :)

I'd also be tempted to do shadow correction/removal first, though it depends, just give that one a little thought.

- Dave.

SoniaNotRed
04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Cool concept and great mood! :thumbsup: I'm really curious to see how this turns out.

Matellis
04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Looking good Luca , looks like the place has been hit with some cannon fire! Keep it up.

Cheers

Inlakechh
04-18-2007, 03:50 PM
very nice integration of damaged parts, mate.

Eligh
04-18-2007, 04:56 PM
uhhh nice and fast work so far! i especially love the broken parts in your piece. Keep it up mate.

nickmarshallvfx
04-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Love your progress, love your concept, love the attention to detail. I think you can tell i quite like this one? :)

Nick

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2007, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.