PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Will Combustion Work With Maya?

callon
03-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Hi Folks! I've been hearing little snipets about the wonders of Combustion's compositing capabilities, and I'm wondering if this software is compatible with Maya. It's seems to be only referred to in relation to 3dmax.

Any info on this? Thanks!

Mike

Br0nZiLLa
03-10-2003, 10:32 AM
First off I think it SHOULD work with other packages then 3DSMAX in terms of rendering, editing and importing your stuff. But then you want to track cameras for instance its easier to import the data into max then to maya. If you want to you would be better off using a package like BOUJOU.
Im not an expert, yet :scream: :shrug:

callon
03-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Thnx for your response, Bronzilla! Hey, I'm no expert either. That's why I thought I'd ask. I appreciate the reference to BOUJOU...I'll check it out. :)

Mike

GrantKay
03-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Hi,

Combustion like other compositing applications have some degree of integration depending on the manufacturer.

Obviously 3Dsmax is well integrated with combustion because they are both made by discreet but there are still options available for other 3D packages with combustion.

Firstly there is the file format. Combustion can read IFF files from maya and the majority of other common file formats.

There is also a MEL script available which enables maya to create a combustion workspace. This will carry over the camera moves from the maya camera to the combustion camera. The script is called MtoC. If you do a search for it in Google you will find it. It was written by a swedish combustion/maya user.

Regards
Grant

discreet UK

flamedevil
03-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Thanx for the info GrantKay i was also interested about that.
Here is a link where you can find the script and more info on how it works : http://www.fido.se/mtoc/mtoc.html

:bounce:

callon
03-11-2003, 12:59 AM
Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Wow! I really appreciate it!
That link will come in quite handy! God, if only human beings didn't need to sleep, I'd have enough time to do everything I need to do!

Cheers! :cool:

Br0nZiLLa
03-11-2003, 08:52 AM
I see this script lets you export your maya camera movement data to cumbustion, but i need i vice versa.
How can i import my tracked camera data from combustion to maya?:shrug:

GrantKay
03-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Fraid not...

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.