PDA

View Full Version : Shaping spectral Clouds with Image maps

phamarus
04-13-2007, 09:07 PM
here´s some tests..I should have investigated and learned more about this much earlier..
This really opens up new doors for me..and to get my clouds to a new level I think.
these are just simple image map..without any greyscale or any bluring diffusing.
cool to actually be able to control hight peaks of the clouds with this method.

I can imagine much cooler clouds if I put some effort in using photoshop or for example using
Lightwaves extensive library of procedurals, such as wheather,coriolis,cyclone,gardner clouds, or IFW 2 planet clouds... perhaps even animate them and export the animated textures in to
Vue 6 infinite for cloud rendering.

Phamarus

bruno021
04-13-2007, 11:23 PM
I hadn't thought about driving the density with images until I received the e-on newsletter today! Cool experiments.

IvanB
04-14-2007, 04:06 AM
Hi,

Thats really cool!...Much better than using a terrain...Could you explain in a little more detail, how it is you did it...I have managed to drive the density with an image, however, I dont want the image to repeat. I also cant manage to get the puffyness...

Thanks,
Ivan.

phamarus
04-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Hi Ivan!

If you don´t want the image map to repeat..just set the tiling mode to none on both x and y
I think it is set to repeat by default, this should be done in the in the density production of your texture map node of course.

Youll also might have to try and tweak your image offset right above to help position your texture..It depends on what scale your function is at or what position.
you might have to try and set the image offset to around 100-200 (not sure)
and make sure to raise your camera high above in the beginning so that you get an overlook...or zoom out.

Another thing you should keep in mind, is to use the density filter next to the density production..to control the clipping of the image texture density.

I might be able to record a video tutorial, I just want to go through the steps
some more, to be able to show how it is done from a scratch scene without uhhs..and ehhs..
Or Maybe I´ll skip the sound :)

Phamarus

IvanB
04-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks phamarus,

Gave it a try again, and had dredful results, at least now I know how to make a cool looking Hedge LOL!

I tried the turn off repeat thing even before my last post..these reason I brought that up was because I was getting a single cloud in the shape of the image..and no other clouds, but i guess you used two cloud layers and matched them up. I'm unable to get a good puffy natural result like your examples, mine look like a solid hedge in amongst another cloud.

I think I'll wait for the video tute (if you could)..dont need sound..That would be awsome. Thanks in advance.

Ivan.

phamarus
04-14-2007, 08:15 PM
I have only used one cloud layer, I started with the Large cumulus 2 layer and deleted that noise node and replaced it with the texture map node..

I think you should look at the density filter, there´s where you control the clipping and how much of the clouds should be seen overall, It can be a bit tricky to fine tune the filter correct.

two other important settings are the cloud hight and cover , to low cloud hight will just make the cloud look flat..and to high setting will make to big puffs that obscures the rest..

Ill try to get back soon as possible about this ,and I hope to finish a video tute a.s.a.p

Phamarus

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2007, 08:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.