PDA

View Full Version : Self Executing Zip?

singularity2006
03-10-2003, 07:29 AM
Is there any software out there that will take a pre-existing zip file and change it such that when it unzips, it will automatically run the software in the zip? (of course, this is a self-extracting zip too). I can't seem to figure out how to do it with winzip.

elvis
03-10-2003, 11:30 AM
the software you mention does exist, but unfortunately is not free.

WinZip self extractor...
http://www.winzip.com/winzipse.htm

..will take any zip (or cold files even) and make a self-extracting .exe file out of them with the embedded decompressors. this is a separate program to winzip, not an add-on or a plug-in, nor a free feature. :(

the link above will let you use an evaluation version which i believe is time limited, unlike winzip itself which is nag-ware.

singularity2006
03-10-2003, 06:09 PM
is this the same Winzip Self Extractor that comes when you download Winzip 8.1? If it is, I already have it. I've already converted my .zip's to .exe's but the next issue I have is how to get the thing to start autoinstalling after unzipping. Right now, it only unzips itself to the default temp directory but does not run the actual setup program inside the zip after unzipping.

[edited]

btw, after reading it, it does look different from the one included with winzip. Cuz winzip 8.1, the full registered version I have has the option to turn a zip file into a self extracting executable but the only diff is that I don't see anything in there to make it auto run the setup program inside the zip.

So if that is the case, will Winzip Self Extractor work with .zip files that have already been converted to .exe?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.