PDA

View Full Version : Daisy Duke - Game Model

mtmckinley
03-10-2003, 07:27 AM
I thought I'd post this here as this is a Maya project I finished recently. It's my entry for the www.simplymaya.com challenge for this month. First one anyway. Might do another if time permits.

Anyway, it's 2478 faces, two 512x512 texture maps. I don't have a wacom or anything, so I had to do the textures with a mouse. Hope it looks ok.

Thanks, guys. :) I'd definitely love to hear comments/thoughts/suggestions.

http://www.mtmckinley.net/SimplyMaya/mrdaisy1.jpg
http://www.mtmckinley.net/SimplyMaya/daisy24.jpg
http://www.mtmckinley.net/SimplyMaya/daisy_tex9.jpg

dmcgrath
03-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Color me impressed. You could have posted this on the Final Work Forum board, you might get more responses. Just have one of the Mods move it for you (ask them nicely).

On thing, with the name Daisy Duke, you have a lot of good refrences there (is. Duke Nukem, and Dukes of Hazard). But with the name, I would have liked to see him in those tight cut off shorts. It is repulsive to think about, I know, but the joke would be far funnier.

Nice job, :thumbsup:

mtmckinley
03-10-2003, 08:15 AM
Thanks, dmcgrath. :D

I did, briefly, consider giving him short pants. lol

It is supposed to be a kinda disturbing, freaky character... but I think that'd be a little TOO disturbing. ;)

I didn't think about posting it in Finished Gallery! I kinda always figured that was for the REALLY good stuff. lol If any of the mods reads this, feel free to move if they wish. :) I just kinda figured I'd post it here and at the Game Art forum. Hope I didn't mess up.

Thanks a lot!

dmcgrath
03-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I really think this is worthy of the finished area. You created an entire game model, from concept to final. That's tough enough as it is. Also, I'm going to use some of your tuts on your website to try and further my own knowlwdge.
:beer:

I didn't notice it before, but the spurs are a nice touch, *LMAO*.

mtmckinley
03-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Hmm, I did ask, but it got moved here for some reason.

Guess I messed up. I had already posted it in this forum. I'll try to delete it, I suppose.

EDIT: I deleted my WIP thread instead... hope I didn't tick anyone off. :(

Apparantly, I messed up somewhere as to where to post this. Anyway, comments are always welcomed. :)

KingofDaveness
03-11-2003, 12:57 AM
Probably the most original cyborg Ive ever seen.

However your really wasting those 512x512 maps. Its not a very officient layout you have there.

I would suggest brightening and detailing the face area, and perhaps toning down the pants... or at least desaturating them a little. Try to draw your focus to the details that count.

Try not to let the dirt and mud speckles rule your map too much, in a game engine they will MIPMAP and turn the mapping into a sort of contrasty sludge if your not careful.

I also suggest dodging a lightsource as if coming from above... where most game level lights come from. Have the light filter down so it leaves interesting shadows down the character.

Once again... oh so damned original

:applause:

mtmckinley
03-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. :)

Texturing is coming along for me, slowly but surely. Need to get a wacom or something one of these days.

I'll keep your comments in mind for my next project. Thanks so much!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.