PDA

View Full Version : nhmChallenge SpetsK

SpetsK
04-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Hello there!
It's going to be a really fun challenge to do and good way to get some more practice. I started out yesterday evening, with cleaning the plate and making some sketch how I'm going to extend the image - to the right, yes to the right! The result was pretty ok, tho it's going to be a real nut :p Let's see. I'll upload my clean plate if I finish it, soon.

It's more important to take part of this competition than to win, so here we go :)

Good luck to you all.

Latest upload:
http://hello.freyja.pri.ee/nhm/step5wip.jpg

everlite
04-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey SpetsK,

Thanks for taking part. I must say i can't wait to see what you have in store given what you said about extending to the right, that'll be one to see :)

Latest upload:
<place reserved for the first image and future updates>

If possible could you post with progressive updates apose to updating the same image, that way we can all learn from each others progress. :)

Thanks again - Dave.

SpetsK
04-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Here is my clean plate. We all know how the ceiling looks like so for better view I removed it. Hopefully ok for now. Btw, I'm having fun!

Attach 1: Final large view
Attach 2: Some wip
Attach 3: I found it pretty helpful and fast if I draw some nasty red lines on separate layer to reimagine the 3D...
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7035/step01xn0.jpg

milanschere
04-13-2007, 05:36 PM
i thought we had to extend it to the left.
is it ok to extend it to the right?

SpetsK
04-13-2007, 07:13 PM
i thought we had to extend it to the left.
is it ok to extend it to the right?

Yeah, I missed that point at first, but David seem to be ok with it, he didn't mention it to be wrong at least. Well I have an idea how to extend it and about the theme I can reveal this:

THEME IDEA
I'm going to take this building and enviroment back to the jurassic period. Inspiration from the museum itself, ehh ;) . The building is going to be very aged. Abandoned by some humanoids. But as god likes no empty space, we can now find a lot of tropical plants growing here and there...

everlite
04-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Yep, feel free to extend it to the left or right by at least 50% or more :)

- Dave.

everlite
04-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeh just to clarify i'm cool with that, the left or right. I honestly didn't think anyone would attempt the right side :)

(oops, sorry, kinda double posted)

SpetsK
04-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Phew, here is the concept. The stair perspective is weird I assume, but the doubled wall is ok. Well what do you think?

Layer01
04-14-2007, 03:36 AM
nice concept SpetsK.
What about merging the two stairs into one? also maybe doing the same for the stained glass, so one new (big) stained glass area?

JJASSO
04-14-2007, 04:06 AM
I agree with layer 01 , it looks too cloned, maybe just respect the original architecture and attach to your concept, don 't forget working on light, add mood, dramatism to the image

SpetsK
04-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Yes, I should certainly work on how to match them together without the cloned look. Now when I woke up (good morning) with clear eyes I can see that you are right. It took so long yesterday, sometimes you just have to put the artwork away to get new vision :) OK, back to work, thanks for advices.

SpetsK
04-14-2007, 11:27 AM
http://hello.freyja.pri.ee/nhm/nhmwip02.jpg
Now painting the extended plate. To do: clear the wall next to the stairs. Extend some to the left.

Layer01
04-14-2007, 11:40 AM
much better :)

my only comment atm is that the line of windows at the end is making a very hard...well..line of windows :P
how about either romoving the last two windows on the left/right side and maybe putting a mural in their little alcoves (does that make sense?) or doing that to the two middle small ones?
just a thought. it could all work as it is depending on where you take it.

SpetsK
04-14-2007, 12:00 PM
much better :)

my only comment atm is that the line of windows at the end is making a very hard...well..line of windows :P

I plan to remove some part of that wall back there, to give the ancient, abandoned touch so the windows will also disappear, hmm some. I wouldn't worry about that wall for now or the repeat. :)

milanschere
04-14-2007, 01:22 PM
nice. could you work any faster? :D

Matellis
04-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah man slow down! I like it so far :D keep it up!

Cheers

fearing
04-14-2007, 04:23 PM
looking good, do you plan to put something in the center of the stairs?

You could put a structure like a pulpit or something similar, it would justify the width and the shape of the stairs...

Bye

SpetsK
04-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Matt: Thanks. I'm excited to see how you are doing as well.

looking good, do you plan to put something in the center of the stairs?

Hey
Yes, I thik as it's a focus spot, there should be something to catch the eye. I plan to place some crack there, so one can expect something to step in from it...we'll see! But yes, there should be some object or element... :)

But I'm really worried about the perspective in general. I have done only two mattes before, so I'm no expert in this. :p

SpetsK
04-16-2007, 12:17 AM
http://hello.freyja.pri.ee/nhm/step3wip.jpg

Something still stinks here, have to work on it harder, but it's late now and tomorrow is working day so have to put it aside for now. CU and good night :)

Inlakechh
04-16-2007, 01:04 AM
greatidea to strech it out this way; giving lots of opportunities to fill all that space with !

SpetsK
04-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Inlakechh: I hope so and I manage to correct the perspective issue somewhat :)

I don't know in what order do I do things, but here is my final clean plate. I got so excited about the perspective thingie and couldn't stop without finishing the plate first :p

Here we go:
http://hello.freyja.pri.ee/nhm/clean_plate_Kerti_Alev.jpg

Cameo
04-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Hey that plates looking sweet. Great job on taking the orange light out SpetsK.

Matellis
04-17-2007, 11:39 PM
I agree really nice . I am dreading taking out that light :(

Cheers!

Inlakechh
04-17-2007, 11:48 PM
very nice plate. the columns on the very right look a little flat to me at this stage.

SpetsK
04-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Inlakechh: I quickly rendered some in 3D to cover the left corner. As I remove the left side anyway I don't bother much to work on this or the floor. But just for comleting step 1 :)

Matellis: I selected the heaviest yellows and just matched the colour some :)

Cameo: Thanks!

Another sketchy scribble...
I croped and rotated the building some for more drama :D

http://hello.freyja.pri.ee/nhm/step5wip.jpg

SoniaNotRed
04-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Hihi! Cool idea on the extension! :thumbsup:

SpetsK
04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi Sonia, yeah I'm happy I managed to do it :)
But the next steps ain't so easy. At first I tought I'm not going to animate it, but when I'll come to like my final, final image I might give it a try, time to move on and try new things. But I doubt I can manage to do it inside the challenge.

Grrrrrrr
04-19-2007, 06:30 PM
I m sorry to say this but even though it looks good this is not an extension but another building. There is nothing extended but replaced with something totally different.

JJASSO
04-19-2007, 06:59 PM
yeah I agree, this is not an extension, and there¿s somenthing in the composition that bothers me, I think it is not thebest perspective angle, because you did not do an extension to the left I think it is too cheap just to mirror the image and try to get the proper perspective.
by the way the stairs are wrong in their perspective

SpetsK
04-19-2007, 11:55 PM
I took too large bite from that pie, ehh? :) I'll go back few steps and start over.
Thanks for notifying Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and jamesvfx :p

Grrrrrrr
04-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Better now 2 steps back rather than at the end of the comp :thumbsup:

rustbucket
04-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Best of luck to you on your entry Spets! I like the cocked perspective on your lastest concept test. I'll be checking in to keep an eye on your progress!

MarkyG
04-21-2007, 05:50 AM
I like the idea of making a wide grand staircase like that. Looks impressive.

SpetsK
04-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Good morning guys, it sure is morning here :p

rustbucket: Thanks. I try to create different views, to get the best result ;) I hope you have time to go on with yours!

MarkyG: Yeah, but I'm not sure it looks right...I try harder :D

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2007, 10:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.