PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle: WWII Willys Jeep

Justin Owens
03-10-2003, 04:30 AM
Hey All..This is my latest personal project I just finished..let me know what you think all you WWII Fans..

Also my domain has changed to www.bluebionic.com and updated..

http://www.bluebionic.com/images/Jeep1.jpg

http://www.bluebionic.com/images/Jeep2.jpg

http://www.bluebionic.com/images/Jeep3.jpg

Duffman
03-10-2003, 04:58 AM
oh wow, excellent mapping on that jeep! It seriously looks photorealistic, but.... that environment is straight up awful. It almost looks like the reverse of a usual composite, like you took a real jeep and composited it into a CG background.

But again, great work on the jeep.. put it into a WW2 scene, at a military base or something.. on a runway or whatever.

Darius43321
03-10-2003, 05:06 AM
i agree the background is awful..but i can ignore that cause of the greatness of the model itsefl...i'm a ww2 junkie..and i love that model you rock man

teh fury
03-10-2003, 05:28 AM
Woah looks awesome.. nice texturing.. :thumbsup:

Risibility
03-10-2003, 06:02 AM
yea the dof is messed up. the background doesnt match the size of the jeep or the placement. Make the jeep smaller so it doesnt take up that entire grass field and it will look more "correct"

Aeroplane
03-10-2003, 06:12 AM
The texturing is great, but the background make the images some
perspective mistake.

mikewebb
03-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Justin

I might have a slightly different opinion about the textures.

I do agree they are well done. My thoughts are that they might be over done.

While it is true that war vehicles see a lot of abuse, I think that every edge doesn't need to be scraped and scratched to bare metal. This looks like it was been abused for 50 years. If it has been 50 years, I think some of the bare metal should be very rusty.

Think about how the jeep was used day to day and put the abuse mostly in those areas.

Good texturing job none the less.

Mike :thumbsup:

Aneks
03-10-2003, 10:50 AM
For the most part really nice stuff !

A few crits... But i do have to agree that the texturing is overdone in certain areas... dont fall in love with your grunge maps too much !! leave some highly specular bits. For me it is the contrast of textrure across an objects surface that gives it reality. Also for a jeep that is sooooo beaten up I think the tires have a big areas where there is no irregularity just some dirfference in the colour. You may want to beat those tires up a bit more and give them some bump. Rubber cant be moulded so smooth in the real world.
Other areas that could use a beat up are the floor. This is where all your GI's are gonna be dragging in dirt and Muck ?!?

No offense though I think it is still very good work.

Skyraider3D
03-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Nice model but despite the opinion of some others. the textures let it down in my opinion. The overall green colour doesn't seem accurate, but that's my least worry. The scratches are too many and especially, they look painted on and don't convince me as being scratches. They look more like birdpoo to me (was it parked near a fishing harbour? :p). Not only need the diffusemap have scratches, but definately the specular level map should have them, as metal is a different material than paint.
The texture on the rubber tires don't look right either. Also the tire looks painted, rather than a rubber material, because it again uses the same basic material properties.
Overall it's a really nice effort. If you fix the scratches and shinniness of the different materials, it'll look loads better.
As for the background... I think the others commented enough on it. It's not bad in my opinion, but the colours, scale and perspective are off. Also the grass doesn't look much convincing. Perhaps place it on concrete and avoid that problem completely! ;)

PS. Tip for metal chipping:
Use a solid metal texture as a new layer. Add a completely black alpha to it. On the alpha crudely paint on the areas that need chipping, then apply Photoshop's chrystalize filter and increase the contrast a bit. Works a treat and much more convincing than handpainted paintchipping. Do add some very light and very thin scratches too by rapid light movements with a wacom pen.
Hope this helps!!! :)

sinthetic
03-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Great modeling and overall work on this piece. I never thought I would say this, but I do think the grunge and bump maps are a little too excessive...? I guess I am agreeing with the majority of the comments, jeep is great, environment doesn't fit.

I especially like your attention to detail though, many would have ignored the dirty glass for the windshield, nice touch!

I would suggest putting that in a desert scene or muddy ravine, (dried up river bed) , that type of setting may do your model more justice.

Justin Owens
03-11-2003, 07:47 PM
All: Wow!!..Thanks for all the comments. Some of you guys sound like my old boss. That's cool though. Your all right about the background. I should have spent more than ten minutes on it.

MikeWebb: You brought up some very good points. Thank you for your constructive crit.

Skyraider3D: No offense but I think you should keep most of your comments to yourself. After reviewing your website I can see that you need to spend a little more time on texturing. Most of your stuff is way too clean. WWII was pretty dirty. In the future try to leave out the analogys.

Thanks..

Skyraider3D
03-11-2003, 09:35 PM
No offense but I think you should keep most of your comments to yourself.
Fine Justin, suit yourself. Jeeps are not as refined as aircraft you know, and I didn't tell you to make it cleaner. Besides I gave you a very handy tip, but sure, go ahead the way you like.
Some of my old work looks indeed pretty clean. Often intended. Have a look at my newest work and if you still think it's not dirty enough, than you have never seen an aircraft before, I guess... .:shrug:

WWII was pretty dirty
Sure, on the ground, but most aircraft were usually brand new when they were shot down... So rust on those aircraft would be pretty much out of the question. :shame:

In the future try to leave out the analogys.
Apologies for the analogIEs, they were unnecessary. They don't have sarcasm where you come from, do they? :rolleyes:

PS. Just checked your website. I like your dragon scene a lot :thumbsup:
From your resume:
"Recently Published in - The Best of 3D Graphics a book published by Epic Software Group Inc.
This book showcases a select few talented 3D artists from around the world."
What a coincidence, my clean models are in that book too ;)

aenema
03-12-2003, 12:36 AM
awesome work. the modeling is great, texturing is amazing, and contrary to what some people have said, I think the environment is stylish and gives a surreal feel to the model :) it accentuates the model and its textures. great work! :thumbsup:

arai
03-12-2003, 01:19 AM
I'm in agreement with most of skyraiders comments, and would add that if you cant take constructive critisism I would avoid posting in the future. Skyraiders comments never onced demeaned your work and he provided, in his opinion, tips on what he thought would make your work better. Even offering avenues to try should you agree with his critisism. The jeep looks good but grow some thicker skin or come here with a sense of humor.

-arai-

Justin Owens
03-12-2003, 04:04 AM
Everyone has the right to thier own opinion.

Here is one of the textures I used on the Jeep..

http://www.bluebionic.com/images/Jeep.tx.01.jpg

skello
03-12-2003, 04:26 AM
RAD!!!...I think maybe a crack in the wind shield will add to the beauty...Nice uv layout:buttrock:

bonko
03-12-2003, 04:41 AM
I think the overalll texturing is really cool. I'm sure somewhere back in the day, there were jeeps as beat up as this. But who cares, it looks cool. The only thing that really jumped out at me were the tires and rims, and for that matter the under body of the jeep. The upper half of the jeep looks really grungy and scratched up. How about some some muck/mud on the lower half of the jeep, mud on the tires, rocks in between the grooves of the tire, etc. Take it the extra mile and it will look absolutely great! I'm not going to repeat the background image spiel, but its not the focus of the exercise. I'd be totally stoked if it were simply in a white room. Might actually look kinda neat, dirty a$$ cheap dripping mud, whatever onto a pristine white floor. But this is your show, do what you want to do.

btw I really dig the stuff on your website, and I also dig the stuff on skyraider's site. Keep up the good work folks!!

blindleader
03-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Overall the jeep looks really good.

The only problem I have with the texturing is the fact that the areas where the paint is missing is too smooth and clean, perfect.

Especially in the back of the jeep. The corners with a lot of paint damage would have a lot of dents and deformaties from stuff being thrown in the jeep or things hitting the jeep.

:thumbsup:

jah
03-12-2003, 05:12 PM
for a jeep with so much 'damage' to it looks like the chassis is brand new... look @ the front bumper.. no dents? weird... maybe its just meh eyes :O

imo ofcourse :buttrock:

though i luv it like it is :D

poe
03-12-2003, 05:44 PM
hmmm. i think the overall colour is a bit too green and not enough olive. i do kinda agree with Skyraider3D that perhaps its a little overdone. the scratching of the paintwork is good, but it looks too rusty instead of just plain old dirty. remember these things were built to last out in the field for years and years.

as for the tires, i think the reason they look 'painted' on is because there is no tread...they would have had pretty deep groove

a good example is here:
http://www.laud.no/la6nca/radio/jeep/

i also dont think that telling someone to keep their oppinions to themselves is the right attitude to take on this board. if you're positing here just because you want to be told how great you are then you're here for the wrong reason.

velinje
03-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Hey got damn thats good looking.. why haven't I done somthing alike?.. (ops... now I remember .. I can't make somthing that good looking) 5 stars from me!! That's really a artistic work Greats!! :love:

Ogi
03-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Good texturework man :thumbsup:

freddy7133d
03-13-2003, 04:40 AM
wow!! it looks amazing:thumbsup:

Scott Harris
03-13-2003, 05:49 AM
damn...I am loving this...awesome work.
nic work as always.

i have a few questions I wanted to ask you...be on the look out for an e-mail from me.

:thumbsup:

Nosalis
05-15-2003, 10:20 AM
It is all about textures! Great work there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.