PDA

View Full Version : growing trees

SeaJackal
04-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I am triying to grow a tree using scale and the geometry animation within the plat editor,
Whein I scale it up everything is fine, but when I try to inrepolate between the first and secon geometry keyframe, modified on the plat editor, it gets the new shape for a second ans suddenly just pops back to the previous keyframe shape....aghhh :sad:

what am I doung wrong?

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Juan

IvanB
04-13-2007, 09:33 AM
This is what I do to get a tree to grow...

Add a tree, Scale it to the desired size (when fully grown) move along the timeline and create a keyframe...move back to the first keyframe and edit the plant (In plant editor) making it really small removing folage etc (possible resizing even smaller to non existent in the viewports). Play the timeline and the tree will grow...You can save this animated tree and use the tree as an ecosystem object, and have heaps of trees growing.

I have some examples on my tute site...I'm yet to make the video tutorial, bit slack...

http://www.esnips.com/web/Tree-Growth

SeaJackal
04-13-2007, 03:32 PM
thanks for the input,

I was playing arround more and my problem seemed to disapear when I performed the geometry keyframes first and then the scale keyframes, weird

thanks for the tutorials

Juan

crpcory
04-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I had to do a lot of growing trees for this music video, most of them done if Vue (the more 'viney' things were typically lightwave). I think certain perameters in the tree editor go through a 'growing process' pretty well, some are horrible and really mutate the geometry. I ended up just simply scaling the entire tree a lot more than i wanted to but it looked cleaner. Haven't used 6 yet, but in five I thought the tree growth abilities were...lets just say they work but could be a lot better.

Here's the video
http://www.eisley.com/journals/trolleywood/_24546/

SeaJackal
04-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Agreeed, there should be at least individual control for animnation of the diferent parameters of the plant editor. I found out especially painful the re-timing of the animation when I was trying to duplicate the tree and offset the growth.

Has anybody noticed that when zooming out or in the graph editor is goes completely bananas?
I have the mac version of vue 6 infinite.

cheers

Juan

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2007, 04:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.