PDA

View Full Version : nhmchallenge Marco Bauriedel

Inlakechh
04-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Good Luck everybody.
Great exercise ... I cant wait to see what kind of images come out of this challenge.

Inlakechh
04-12-2007, 09:20 PM
starting to get the people out ...

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_00.jpg

everlite
04-13-2007, 03:33 AM
Hey mate, looking good so far. What method are you using to remove the people?

What i did for the main part with the floor was just created a new document in PS around 1000x1000 pxls and cutout/took the main blank area of the floor (in the forground) and dragged it into the blank doc. I then cloned this until the document was completely covered added a little noise and blur to recreate the original floor. Next dragged this back into the plate and just free transformed/pinned the image to match the floor perspective. For the most part this worked well.

Keep it up :thumbsup:

- Dave.

Layer01
04-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Hey mate, looking good so far. What method are you using to remove the people?

What i did for the main part with the floor was just created a new document in PS around 1000x1000 pxls and cutout/took the main blank area of the floor (in the forground) and dragged it into the blank doc. I then cloned this until the document was completely covered added a little noise and blur to recreate the original floor. Next dragged this back into the plate and just free transformed/pinned the image to match the floor perspective. For the most part this worked well.

Keep it up :thumbsup:

- Dave.

Nice tip!
thanks

Inlakechh
04-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I mostly stamped and painted the people out. Sometimes I make selections, copy it to a new layer and work with transformations and masks. The floor I might paint and then put the structure above in overlay mode. Dunno if its going to work ... lets see when I continue ....

Inlakechh
04-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Stage 1:

Here's my cleaned up image.

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_01.jpg

I ended up painting alot, cause it was faster than duplicating and transforming little parts.
Masking out shapes, filling it with color and stamping in some noise is a good way to work on the floor details.
For the main part of the floor I used the Highpass filter to get this cleaner look. This way I didnt need to stamp back and forth that much to get the shadows out.

hope you like it :)

SpetsK
04-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Must love the painted shadows (maybe a bit too hard ones, but still) and clean floor! Good one!

everlite
04-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Gotta be one of the best clean plates i've seen yet, nice work in the right passage.

:thumbsup: - Dave.

Cameo
04-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Awesome job Inlakechh, I particularly like the arch on the right, great detail going into the distance there.

Cameo
04-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Doh Dave stealing my thunder there by about 0.03245 nano seconds!

Matellis
04-16-2007, 03:26 AM
Marco!!! awesome so far!!! your one talented SOB! damn this is nice :D
Cant wait to see your conposition :D im very drunk so excuse me :D
but you rock dude I always love all the stuff you come up with :D

Cheers to beers

Halford
04-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Gosh!!! Love your plate...:D...love your shadows! Greate job!

milanschere
04-16-2007, 03:13 PM
this is outstanding. congratulations.
especially the passage way on the right side.
very nice. nice clearing of stage one.

biliousfrog
04-16-2007, 03:26 PM
great work. I can see myself also painting a lot of the details as there isn't much to copy from in certain areas.

BTW, are you going to remove the two lamps on the back wall? ;)

Inlakechh
04-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanx for the nice comments guys.

Ah Steve, thanx for the hint I just erased the two lamps and reloaded the image to the server.
Lets say the other lightsources are candles as I will decide later how to change the lighting ;).

Grrrrrrr
04-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Very nice start. Can t wait to see some action from you...just to get some motivation :D

Besides the actual light sources i masked the window from the left too because it was to eye cathing.

bechira
04-16-2007, 04:52 PM
great work. very good clean plate. can't wait to see the rest of the process.

SamsonsReaper
04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
thats a good clean up man, keep the good work going :)

Inlakechh
04-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanx for the comments ... so here's the next stage.

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_02.jpg

Had to fix alot of perspective issues ... i think now its adjusted in such a way that everything looks pretty correct. didn't use the cs2 perspective tool, just because I never tried it before and am used to the transformation tools in ps. Anybody had success with the perspective tool on this image when extending ?

I extended 50% to the left and about 30% to the top to have some room to play with later on.

Next up is neutralizing lights and starting to sketch some concepts. :)

Matellis
04-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Great man , seamless I say , looking forward to a concept :D

Cheers

SpetsK
04-17-2007, 11:47 PM
I turn yellow! :p
Great work

Waiting for some concept now...

Inlakechh
04-18-2007, 12:55 AM
lights out. concepts in the works soon ;) ...
http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_03.jpg

Matellis
04-18-2007, 01:10 AM
wow! great job man, hot damn!

Layer01
04-18-2007, 02:04 AM
jesus christ!
thats some amazing work marco!
can you give any tips on how you neutralized the lights?
I had to take a break from working on this challenge for a few days but now i'm back and seeing your work really inspires me to jump right back in!
awesome work :thumbsup:

Cameo
04-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Yea that looks fantastic mate. Can't wait to see where you take your concept.

Grrrrrrr
04-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Really great and really clean!

SoniaNotRed
04-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Woh! You could eat on that floor! :D
Great work on the archway.

Inlakechh
04-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Peter I put a lower saturation just on the yellows in a colorselection.
Added some curves and the usual correction tryarounds, painted in color mode until i liked it.

hope that helps :)

Eligh
04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
absolutly well done! very clean plate and nice work on neutralizing the lights! Can´t wait for your concept!!! :) Keep up rocking!

Inlakechh
04-19-2007, 08:26 PM
newest concepts on last page now ...

Cameo
04-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Wow both look fantastic. The beach one has a really desolate otherworldy feel about it. I think I prefer the jungle concept though, the ruins are really well integrated with the foilage.

SamsonsReaper
04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
i think you have too much going on in the jungle ones, and colorwise the building is almost melted in the vegetation which makes it kind of hard to read.

Hope that helps :)

Matellis
04-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow man you have a full matte painting there! lol done already , must be nice!

joking , but damn thats the best concept I have seen yet :D the jungle one i mean.

Cheers

Inlakechh
04-19-2007, 10:28 PM
thanx guys.

Levi thank you for the hint. I agree that its a little overloaded and the structure of the building should be clearer.

Matt 1 year ago I really thought that this level of detail is enough for a matte painting.;)

everlite
04-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi, looking nice :) I like the beach one better, the jungle one is a little too cluttered. Be nice if you had a few background ruins in the beach version. Remember this building is in the middle of London :)

- Dave.

Inlakechh
04-20-2007, 07:55 PM
updated concepts down this page ...

everlite
04-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Both very nice, a few comments, the tree at the center in the the jungle scene feels a little out of place, not sure if it's working, but the rest looks cool :-)

The beach scene looks really nice, good lighting. I feel the building would look a little better if it was slightly further to the right, it seems to be falling of the edge a little at the moment. Also i don't think the clock is working too well. Also not quite sure about the perspective in this one, might need tweaking a little.

Over all looking very good so far :)

- Dave.

JJASSO
04-20-2007, 09:50 PM
well good to see 2 ideas, nice work, the first one I find it too exagerated, the bloom form the sun is too strong and it invades parts of the image where it should not be seen
I like the second one a lot, in mood, lighting and concept, but I don't find the main architecture as a focal point, just as david said a little to the right would look fine, alos add more ruins from the museum remember it is the goal
don't forget about the rule of thirds for composition , it will make you decide where to put focal nodes better

Quadart
04-20-2007, 10:14 PM
You're setting the stage Marco. Impressive WIPs!
The rocky shore image with Big Ben sinking in the sea took me by surprise. Nice idea, very imaginative. I see in the retouching phase, your treatment of the arch to the right of the stairs became a clean plate hit. I was inspired by it.

Great job.

Inlakechh
04-21-2007, 08:30 PM
I really appreciate your comments, thank you.

Now I can see the problems aswell.
Maybe I'll have the time to work on it tomorrow.

Bill, I feel honored when other artists find some inspiration in my works. :)

Inlakechh
04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
a little update on the concepts:

I'm not sure about the placement of the big broken ruin part on the right of the church.
But all in all it's close to the mood that I imagine would work. perspective looks a little strange but i dont care now in the concept phase.

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_6c.jpg

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_4d.jpg

I consider the jungle as hard but challenging to project in 3d and the rocky shore as not too easy because of the water and its reflections.

everlite
04-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Looking great, personally i have a preference towards to the first one, looking much better now. I think to really sell this one you need to add more ruins sticking out in the background, nothing too much just something to suggest the location. At the moment it looks very much like it's on a beach, and maybe that come be, but the nhm itself is very far from any beachs and very much in a built up area surrounded by lots of tall buildings. Also i don't feel the clock is working in the background, again the location in relation to the museum itself is way off. Secondly the clock looks like it has fallen over, literally :) i think if this was to happen there would be little left other than a very disfigured frame of the clock itself.

Still looking very original :)

- Dave :thumbsup:

RQuack
04-23-2007, 02:34 AM
Definitely digging the beach scene, I think it would work even though its not really near a beach. Before this contest, I didn't know anything about the museum so for me, it's not that far of an imaginary leap so I like it. Great moods and scenes for both though! :)

LeoNeet
04-23-2007, 05:52 AM
The waterlogged one with the rocks is IMO the best so far. The extension to the left (flipped left - original right) works very well. It brings the structure more in focus compared to everyone elses with it usually to the far right.

Keep it up!

SoniaNotRed
04-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Oh... I was hanging between these 2 choices myself.
They're both look great! I'm not sure about the big tree, though - it somehow seems to be "in the way" or something... I keep trying to see behind it! :D
Still, good job! :thumbsup:

Inlakechh
05-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanx for the comments.

I'm doing the rocky shore Matte.
For easier workflow I extended my plate a little further.
here's the updated extension:

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_02.jpg

I tested a 3D projection on my mac mini g4 and have to say it will be close to impossible for me to take stage 4 in this challenge. Even painting in 4k is alot of pain.
So hopefully I'll have the time to finish this one at least to stage 3.

Inlakechh
05-08-2007, 08:37 PM
so here's a little update on the Matte.

Started to extend the Rockbaseimage and added some clouds.
All a little loose right now ... but its showing the direction.

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_7.jpg

I think the ground is still too bright compared to the sky. Whats your opinion ?

JJASSO
05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
nice mood and colors, and yes I agree on sea, it needs to be darker as it reaches the foreground, but some how the hae you have on the horizon looks to desaturated to me I would ad some green/bluesih tone to it
try to fix some cloning issues in the sky it looks like a tiled texture

MarkyG
05-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Clean plate looks really good. I especially enjoy the patterned stripes running down both sides of the floor. It doesn't look tiled and hence really sells it.

Markg

Inlakechh
05-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Here's a little update.
Still alot of work left.

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_8.jpg

pkneeshaw
05-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Looks great mate. Think the perspective might be a little out on the right of the building though.

Inlakechh
05-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanx for the comment Peter.

I agree that the perspective is a little off there. With the walls standing straight up, the image looses alot of its dynamic and I think dynamic is what makes it work well in the end. So I'm not sure about correcting it to be 100%. What do you guys think ?

little update:

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_8b.jpg

C&C please

MarkyG
05-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Colour and mood are fantastic. The part that looks a little off is the right sided arches. Because they're leaning so much without support. Looks a little odd.

Love the image!

Inlakechh
05-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Here's another update. Hope you like it :).

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_9b.jpg

and a version with even more warm light:

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_9c.jpg

pkneeshaw
05-22-2007, 10:02 AM
The new colour scheme looks fantastic. Much better.

bechira
05-22-2007, 10:07 AM
the idea is cool but are really serious perspective problems. hope to fix them.

milanschere
05-23-2007, 01:51 PM
i think it looks really awesome. sorry, for not having any more critique
but i just think it's great so far. keep pushing it, man.

Ivy00
05-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I really like the changes you made in the lighting :) not too sure about the sun though my eye keeps getting stuck on it instead taking in the whole image.

Quadart
05-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Nice.
I think all the surfaces that are hit by sunlight should be brightened up quite a bit to the point of being almost shiny. That includes, but to a lesser extent, Big Ben in the bg. I would also add some shadows against the left wall, cast from the right wall.—My 2˘.

thundering1
05-24-2007, 01:18 AM
That's incredible - love the warmer one! Can't wait to see more - I love your techniques1
-Lew ;-)

kbarts
05-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Nice work.
I think the sun is could be more left or removed. Now it is on the right edge of the picture and it is a strange composition. Other thing: the water needs sun reflection path to the viewer.

Inlakechh
05-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Thank you all for the comments and critique.

Think I found a solution to get the perspective of the right wall better without destroying the composition and dynamic of the image. I'm going to upload it soon.

matty2x4
05-24-2007, 09:11 PM
I have only one comment "Nice!"

Matty2x4

Inlakechh
05-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks Matty2x4

Here's another update.

Now the back part of the right wall is slowly falling deeper into the ground. That helps to correct the perspective. The stairs are broken now and I did alot of minor adjustments.
Added some little waves around the rocks to show some more movement in the water, corrected the sun to suit the composition better and painted some seaweed.
The shadow of the right big broken part onto the left wall and columns doesn't work yet in my opinion. Think I'm going to erase it.

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_10.jpg

Rockhoppermedia
05-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Marco,

This is fantastic, how do you make it so gritty and realistic I can almost smell it its so real. Do you use a filter? Or do you just spend hours doing fine detail? absolutely amazing, it is obvious you have real talent. To be honest I am some what intimidated to post my mess at the moment. Once i have got somewhere I will feel the courage to post.

Once again awesome

rich

Inlakechh
05-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Thank you Richard.
I have to dissappoint you, I don't know of such a filter. The only filters I use are the add noise and sharpen filters.

Inlakechh
05-27-2007, 12:36 PM
So this is very close to final.
I might lower saturation and change the color slightly in the end. Need some fresh eyes for this, staying away from the image some days. c&c please

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_plat_marco_11.jpg

bechira
05-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I like the mood but I think u still have big perspective problems. Here's an example of your perspective lines: some of them are paralells - it means that u have 2 point perspective, and some of them are going to meet in a point, so these ones have 3 point persp...I think u should revork this problem.

Inlakechh
05-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanx for the advice Sorin,

I think the vertical lines can be explained by the fact that the ruins are totally messed up, broken and not standing all straight up. I'm trying to suppport the dramatic of the piece with this setup. I agree that the converging lines arent all correct yet.

Rockhoppermedia
05-27-2007, 06:18 PM
I think the converging lines support the otherworldly nature of the building. The shapes of the arches are iconic of the windows that remained after the dreadful september eleven attacks. I think these arches represent that on a sub counscious level. The arches also represent unstability in a changing world. It is similar to looking at the leading edge of a glacier, you know it will fall but when. try straightening the composition but I personally think it will become flat without the sense of jeopardy. This image works because it makes you feel uncomfortable, think of planet of the apes and seeing the statue of liberty for the first time, this image is in danger of becoming vanilla. Marcos please dont go overboard with straightening this up.

regards Rich.

bechira
05-27-2007, 07:05 PM
I think the converging lines support the otherworldly nature of the building. The shapes of the arches are iconic of the windows that remained after the dreadful september eleven attacks. I think these arches represent that on a sub counscious level. The arches also represent unstability in a changing world. It is similar to looking at the leading edge of a glacier, you know it will fall but when. try straightening the composition but I personally think it will become flat without the sense of jeopardy. This image works because it makes you feel uncomfortable, think of planet of the apes and seeing the statue of liberty for the first time, this image is in danger of becoming vanilla. Marcos please dont go overboard with straightening this up.

regards Rich.

wow.. r u serious? :|

Rockhoppermedia
05-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Yep,

deadly serious, look at any film over the last century to represent jeopardy/surrealism/vertigo/fear the camera view is angled or looking at the familiar with distorting lenses. It has been used in hitchcock through to spielberg. the shapes are recognisable in the image they look like they will fall there is a sense of jeopardy. I believe if Marcos straightened the image up it would lose its edge, scale and uniqueness. The arches look organic and skeletal to me. The comment on the 9/11 attack is the one unique powerful image is the photo of the aftermath with the arched part of the building defiantly upright through the smoke and dust. I can see that iconic image in Marcos painting with the arch ways.

Art is subjective you may see different and i welcome to hear your comments.

Respect Rich.

bechira
05-27-2007, 08:44 PM
I agree with u about the lens...and I think also it gives more drama...but my point was different...but let's forget it.

SoniaNotRed
05-27-2007, 10:35 PM
I agree with kbarts - the sun it's still too close to the edge, it looks strange from a composition point of view.
Other than that, it's beautiful! :thumbsup:

Inlakechh
05-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Thank you Sonia,
I think now the sun has enough space in the composition.

Sorin and Richard: I think you both are right viewing it from different perspectives.
I hope you both agree with me that this version is a step forward. :)

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_matte_12.jpg

I was getting more and more into warmer colors, losing the basic athmosphere completely. Now I've finally realized and corrected it.

Rockhoppermedia
05-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Sorin and I only want the best for you, though looking at the image now I am completly blown away. Awesome.

tons of respect

Rich.

Inlakechh
05-28-2007, 02:43 PM
man, I really appreciate your discussion and this kind of learning by getting critique and comments. Thank you ;)
Sometimes it's hard when you have many opinions, but thats the deal to decide yourself in the end.

bechira
05-28-2007, 03:20 PM
of course ;)

Anti2007
05-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Really nice lighting and composition, the far away building on the far left are a nice addition.

Inlakechh
05-29-2007, 10:40 PM
If no needed changes come to my mind the next days, this will be the final version ! :)

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_matte_FINAL.jpg

Quadart
05-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Nice finish. It is dramatic.
The perspective thing mentioned isn't bothering me, as the structure does look like it is sinking into the ground, but the car is drawing my attention constantly. It appears too large for it's position, greatly diminishing the scale of the museum, in my head.
Again, very dramatic image.

Good luck.

Inlakechh
05-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Thank you.
I'll have a look at the cars scale.

Keating
05-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Awesome. Great job. I especially like the crumbled wall on the left side, it very much remidns me of rocks worn away by the sea. Excellent work overall, congrats on getting it all finished!

Layer01
05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
loving it :)
I also think the car seems a bit big next to the NHM.
love the seaweed on the rocks and sign :thumbsup:

EDIT: i just saw the boat, now THATS cool :applause:

Inlakechh
05-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Thank you, guys ! :)

Did some tiny changes. Changed the rocks on the right, so they don't look like repeating shapes anymore.

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_matte__FINAL.jpg

SoniaNotRed
05-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Ah, yes!
Perfect! :applause:

Inlakechh
06-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Thank you Sonia.

As I'm new to the camera Projection Technique, but really willing to learn it, I'm going to give it a try. Don't know if the time is enough for me to finish it the way it looks acceptable, because I cannot render it on my slow mac mini at home. It's going to be alot of guessing how things are working out when rendered.
(Water reflections are a thing that I think won't be enough time for :/ )

Here's the 3D modeled scene so far.

http://www.marcobauriedel.com/cgtalk/nhm/nhm_challenge_matte_13.jpg

SoniaNotRed
06-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Oh, you're gonna try it!
I can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

kirouac
06-03-2007, 06:02 PM
It's seem that i'll not be the only one to try the camera move :thumbsup:. I think u are really more advanced then me on this stage...

really nice work on the stage 3, original idea and nice painting.

Good luck ! and i hope u will have time to finished ur move.

everlite
06-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey man, this is looking really cool. Hope you can get it finished in time. The tricky part is the water reflections, not too sure how you'll pass that one off. One idea might be to some how paint in a mask of the water areas and apply a reflective material to that then play around with some fancy comping techniques. Not quite sure but i'm betting its possible somehow. You could also add in a little mist to cover areas that dont work too well.

Good luck - Dave :)

Inlakechh
06-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Well I got the reflections working with a particle simulation.
But damn there went something wrong in the particle baking. The computer crashed one time doing it, I guess it caused the little waterjump. There are some smaller issues that I'd like to change in the animation. But I've got no time left to do it ... so I posted my final results. :) Please have a look at the final entries thread to see the animation.

Again ... good luck to all participants.
This was alot of fun.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2007, 11:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.