PDA

View Full Version : Motionbuilder To Maya Pipeline

EvanDiaz
04-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Hello all,
After a bit of research I have found that the task of taking files from maya to motion builder and back again is a rather common production task but the specifics of it are still unknown to me. From what I have found there are certain ways you must set up a scene and export/import it in order for it to go smoothly from one application to the other. Are there any good resources you all know of that show this process?

Also if there is any information on adding Cinema 4D to the pipeline (MB to C4D to MB to Maya--or some other combination) it would be greatly appreciated.

-Regards

Evan Diaz

mkapfhammer
04-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Just curious...
what tools are you using in C4D that you'd want to add it to your pipeline like that?

EvanDiaz
04-13-2007, 05:43 PM
The company I am working for uses C4D as their main 3D pacakage, and they will soon be purchasing a few Motion Builder seats to add to their pipeline. I come from a background with Maya, and they want me to be able to integrate work from their pipeline of MB and C4D into Maya so I can work with it there, and then back to MB and C4D to render.

Sammer
04-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Evan,

There are some threads about this you may find helpful (with regards to going between Cinema and MB) in the Cinema forum.

Some of the biggest things to be aware of is how the characters skeleton is set up and the fact that using constraints or other types of rigging wizardry may not transfer well.

I use Cinema 10.1, MB 7 and Maya 6.5. With the latest release of Cinema it exports well to MB and I'm sure that since Autodesk has had an opportunity to integrate Maya and MB you'd think it would be working rather well between those two apps.

It almost sounds like their adding Maya into the equation to accommodate you as opposed to integrating you into the C4D-MB workflow. I don't know what it is you'll be doing in Maya that can't be done in C4D and MB but as a suggestion I'd make sure it will make the trip. In the end you may find that it's easier to adapt you to a different program than it is to use a pipeline with a bunch of kinks in it.

Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2007, 07:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.