PDA

View Full Version : Short Film - Love and Atoms

TAMcCullough
04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/192/460324556_de43a3dca9.jpg

Short Film Love and Atoms

Love and Atoms is a small part to a larger story. But I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about the longer version. After all, we're only concerned with the short story told here.

Background

The protagonist's girlfriend has gone east after the aliens attacked. (The world was caught up in an interstellar war.) Now a ghostly figure is leading him to her.

This short shows us a small segment of his journey where the Hero finds an older car and the small Zombie encounter he has to get the keys for the car so that he can drive it.

Yes there are Zombies in the film. The Aliens that attacked used small probes to shoot small darts into people. These darts released nanotech into the victim's bloodstream which changed the human into a blood thirsty killing machine. Think Zombie a la 28 Days Later.

More to come.

I will be working on the storyboard over the next week and will work on the characters more to provide renders for you to see.

I am looking for animation help. Because I'm pretty crummy at animating. But since I would like to get this short completed by the end of May, I might be open to help in other departments.

I don't know why my youtube movies are so crummy looking, but here's a fly through
Fly through (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkw690raUuc)

and the link to some work on my site

Love and Atoms (http://www.orbofday.com/LandA.htm)

The fat zombie that is shown is a WIP. Textures need to be completely repainted. I just wanted to see what a final result might look like.

Thank you
Todd A McCullough

Not entirely sure why my banner isn't coming up.

I've changed my mind about the end of may. I would love to have it done by then, but the more I look at this project as a whole. I realize that it won't be completed by then.

BOY1DA
04-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Looks like an interesting project, how long will the short be ?

The end of may is not to far away, not much time left...

Not that you are looking for crits , your shadows look a bit dark.
What render do you use ? I'm guessing that you use max ?

What is left to be done over all ?

TAMcCullough
04-13-2007, 02:03 AM
Its a little dark right now. Nothing is really final though. But I am going for a higher contrast look.
It is rendered using MAX's default renderer. I'm starting to model with Blender and that is the route I'll take someday but not right now.

The end of may isn't very far off and it is a pretty tight deadline. But its something to shoot for if not attainable.

However the short isn't very long (I'm guessing at 5 mins right now). Probably more. I still have to put the animatic together... and there are a lot of slow paced shots following the hero, so I don't think it would be that difficult to put together with enough people.

If I can't find any takers then I'll try to do it all myself with Andy Murdock's Automatron. I am not a good animator. But practice will make me better I hope.

Anyways
What needs to be done

1. complete the storyboard
2. make an animatic
3. Rig all characters
4. Block in all character animation
5. if enough time, lengthen the encounter with the 3rd zombie
6. Final skinning of Zombies
6a. Normal Map zombies if it adds to their character
7. Finish animation
7a. Is there time to do a "classical animation" version of the ghost girl? Does it add to her character?
8. Render all animation
8a. If enough time - Model and normal map an alien for a final possible shot
9. Post work
10. Submit to Ottawa animation festival (if it will be completed by June 8th) If its worthy too I guess

Thats it! :(

BOY1DA
04-13-2007, 02:53 AM
LOL wow that is a pretty big list.
So all the modeling and sets are modeled ?
I started a short project about a year ago and I've only
done about 2 mins so far... "FETCH".

Sorry for all the questions , I'm just trying to see if I can
find something I can help with...

I also use max, I like to use the scan-line render, but I also know how to use vray.

I'm also located in Toronto, and pretty much have the same skill set as you do
as far as 3D stuff goes...

I would like to see how your story boards come out.
I really like your 2D work. Good stuff for colour scripts.

I'll keep an eye out for your progress.

TAMcCullough
04-19-2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.orbofday.com/After/BytheBarnTest-wip-ghostgirl.jpg
Doing a test post pass on the ghost girl. Need to decide whether she needs to be textured or not.

Kid-Mesh
04-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Interesting project...good luck :thumbsup:

TAMcCullough
01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Still pluging away at this.
The zombies are nearly complete. But they need hair and some texture tweaks.
The short has gone through some considerable changes.

http://orbofday.com/After/AfterZombies.jpg

laber
01-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Great stuff, man!
I hope you can keep it up. The progress up to now looks great!

.. love the zombie in the latest post. :D

TAMcCullough
01-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks Dude. The environment is going to go through a major change texturally (I'm sure that's not a word).
But this should be close to what the finished zombies look like.
Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2008, 06:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.