PDA

View Full Version : XSI 6 on Gentoo linux

vanimar
04-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Hello everyone.

I would like to install the XSI6 on linux and so I was thinking about asking some questions before I do that.

> I really want to get involved with linux and I know (as far as I am concerned) that the best distro to do that is Gentoo. I would like to know if XSI6 runs stable and fast on the Gentoo distribution. I consider stability to be more important a factor than speed. Or is it maybe that that specific distro is inappropriate to run XSI on?

> Also, I would like to know if there is any problem installing further third party add - ons for XSI in Gentoo.

> And last, my graphics card is ATI X1900XT. I have read (and experienced) that there is some sort of incompatibility between my card and Gentoo. Specifically, my graphics card cannot render 3D images on Gentoo. Will I be able to do my job with XSI as it has its own built-in 3D renderer (Mental Ray) or not?

> If you think running XSI6 on Gentoo is not efficient please recommend a distro that overall seems to be the most appropriate but most importantly, will provide a stable and fast workflow.

> And another thing. About the renderer. I want to be able to customise the renderer at will and control even the slightest settings. Also, I don't mind going to sleep and letting the program render the final scene. However, I would be frustrated if it took several minutes just for a test render. I am basically interested in lighting and thus would like the renderer to perform excellently on that part. Is the built-in Mental Ray capable enough as a renderer in terms of speed, quality and customisation? Or is there another more suitable for my needs on XSI 6?

Please, I would appreciate it if you answered, only if you were possitive about the soundness and validity of your opinion.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

ThE_JacO
04-12-2007, 01:20 AM
the truth about gentoo is that if you have to ask all these questions, you're probably not ready to use it.
if you're at that stage where you still have to learn the ropes of even basic shell scripting and functionalities (which is what you sound like, but I might be off), I would definitely start with something more friendly, probably a centos lined up with whatever officially supported redhat xsi runs on now (haven't checked in a while), suse, or even ubuntu.

gentoo is pretty good, and you can definitely make it work with almost anything due to its very nature, but very, very hardcore, too much so for a neophyte.
As a distro it's not dissimilar from what houdini is for 3D, it makes really hard things trivial, but everything that should be easy can be very, very painful, even if you know your way around, and if you don't, you'll just get lost.

Noratio
04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
I've not the best person to comment Gentoo, so I'll leave it to others. I'm one of those not competent to hack my way around with it. Once I've got the time I'd like to.

However what I'd like to say is that you write your speciality is lighting. If you're used Light Tools from Bernard Lebel you may not be able to use them in linux. I've tested it with XSI5.11 not 6x. XSI runs it's own impelementation of python provided by mainwin, and doesn't use system installed one. There is old version of Light Tools in JScript and it works. I believe there are others mighty enough to solve these problems. Something to consider regarding your workflow.

Graphics card has nothing to do with Mental Ray rendering images to hard disk, it is just for realtime interaction with software, for what yousee on your monitor. If you are not able to get 3D driver installed or XSI run on it, you are not able to use XSI.

MiGa
04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi,
I'm a gentoo user who got XSI 6.01 to run! It runs quite stable. Haven't used it for that long now (only since the .01 upgrade). I don't use any 3rd party plugins besides some scripts (or my own plug-ins, but they are even devolped under linux :) ). If you have a look at the Softimage site then you will see that other distributions are supported:
http://www.softimage.com/support/xsi/system_requirements/v6_0_linux/default.aspx

vanimar
04-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Hello again.

Thank you guys, you've been all very helpful. I am a neophyte as you have mentioned. However, I 've got both the excitement and patience to get involved with Gentoo. And with a little help, I believe I am going to manage to set up my own OS as I like it. From what you've said, generally, XSI will probably run as I please on Gentoo. Let us hope then that it won't be my video card the impediment to prevent me from taking that step towards Gentoo.

Again, thank you very much, indeed.

daskog
04-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Hi,
I'm a gentoo user who got XSI 6.01 to run! It runs quite stable. Haven't used it for that long now (only since the .01 upgrade). I don't use any 3rd party plugins besides some scripts (or my own plug-ins, but they are even devolped under linux :) ). If you have a look at the Softimage site then you will see that other distributions are supported:
http://www.softimage.com/support/xsi/system_requirements/v6_0_linux/default.aspx

Do you run 64 bit or 32?

MiGa
04-17-2007, 09:34 AM
32bit FND on 32bit gentoo

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2007, 09:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.