PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Lighthouse - The animation...

halfworld
04-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Hi all,

I've decided to post the first rendered out section of the animation.

Critique welcome.
Notes on style: Heavily influenced by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, as are the stills, the whole concept behind the look has come from his films.

http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/towerspiralv1.mov

The whole lighthouse has been made with Paralumino products (Revolver and Trestle for the most part) with the exception of the Iron detailing.
Particles done in AE via the MoCon scripts from http://www.3dmation.com

I'm working on v2 of this shot now (a bit of camera shake, lightwrap ...) :)
Best,
Ian

Vizfizz
04-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Looks great Ian. :) Looking forward to the next version.

richardjoly
04-12-2007, 03:19 AM
This is excellent Ian! Love the mood:thumbsup: Jeunet will appreciate...;)
Of course, sound will come later...?

halfworld
04-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Hehe, thanks :)
I have a couple of songs in my mind.... (If lolo visits, they were both by Melissa Kaplan of UHP).
Or of course I can always make my own (using trestle and revolver? ;)...
Ian

yhloon
04-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Very nice! like the mood, remind me some kinda dracula movie... :)

Loon

halfworld
04-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey all,

To respond to the first round of comments this version is now:

1. Wetter
2. Has a little camera rumble (what do you think of it?) I think it helps...
3. Has the lighthouse light ON (modelled from an original design)
4. Uses a wider angle lens for a little more depth...

A couple more improvements are cooking now...
Watch it in full screen on QT Pro !

EDIT: Forgot the link ;) http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/towerspiralv2.mov (6megs)
Ian

halfworld
04-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Two more animation stills, one without rain, sorry about that ;)

Ian

mike33
04-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi Ian,

I really like what your doing with the lighthouse. The film look is great. [I decided to update to QT7 at the my workplace, even though it has conflicts with other software I use... I couldn't take not being able to see what people are showing.]

I have some critiques, and I have to mention that I haven't looked at any lighthouse images, or anything else[I'm at work]...it's just a visual sense or observation from things I've seen before so you can take it for what it's worth.

On to my critique: The dirt and grime on the light house seems to even. It seems to me that the sun, wind and sea would affect the building in a more prevailing fashion so that certain areas would be more bleached, some may have fungus, mold or other plant matter growing, even some Seagull dropping buildup. I guess the question is how old is the building, how often is the iron rails/roof painted and maintained and does the weathering reflect that?

Am I being to anal? The background story of objects is one of the areas I always get bogged down with... how deep do you go? And if there are flaws or discrepancies with reality, does it matter?

Bottom line.... Nice work.

Thank you, cheers...

~Mike

FelixCat
04-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Congrats, Ian
Your lighthouse looks great, i love the Jeunet mood too. Both versions look great. In the fist one, y liked very much the light filtering trwo the glass...
Very nice.

FelixCat

frogjackson
04-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Fantastic clip Ian - love the mood - I was looking for Nosferatu on the tower !

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2007, 12:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.