PDA

View Full Version : Rig Reuse

Kid-Mesh
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
This is proabably super easy and I'm sure I'm going about it all wrong.

I want to replace an exsisting model that is rigged with an updated version of the same model. I have heard of a couple of ways to do it but it doesnt seem to work.

Can someone tell me what is the "Messiah" preferred way of changing out a model to an exsisting rig.

Bugpoo
04-12-2007, 03:28 AM
Just make sure you add the bone deform effect to the new model

pgForza
04-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Not sure about the best or rightest way to do it. But I am often using the "lazymans dirtywork" in cases like this. Which means that I compare the two meshes, so they do not differ too much. Save the new or updated one with the same name as the earlier one, but at a different location. Simply choose the mesh in messiah. Run the "replace" command (file/multiply items/replace). And select the updated model/mesh. Since the name are the same, evereything seems to work most of the time. Even the expressions. If I need more characters than one in a scene, it will be problematic. So I try to open the scene in wordpad and change the name (or prename to the bones and such) with the find and replace command. I also sometimes copy the model/mesh in windows and rename it, then also exchange to that new name in wordpad.
Just remember to include the path to the updated model in messiah (file/paths). Otherwise, m could crash. Dont know if this is a recommended method, really. But since it seems to work for me, and is lightning fast compared to rigging each character manually, I use it anyway. Would be cool to have some script for this inside messiah, (but maybe there are already).

pgForza
04-21-2007, 11:44 AM
The latest version of Messiah I got (2.5b), seems a little bit nervous about this, even if the scene originates from it. Whereas for example 2.2b behaves more civilised (do not crash on loading scene/w new character mesh).

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2007, 11:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.