PDA

View Full Version : nhmchallenge Artbot (Richard Green)

Artbot
04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
This took a long time to get going and seems kind of far removed from all the cool ideas that were thrown around, but it looks like a fun challenge - if I can squeeze it in my schedule. Hard to resist noodling with Photoshop for hours on end...:)

everlite
04-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey Richard, honored to have you on board mate, can't wait to see what you come up with, really hope you have time to participate.

- Dave :thumbsup:

NathanielWest
04-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Hey Richard!

It's good to see you here! I can't wait to see what you do with this challenge, and will surely be checking in.

Artbot
04-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey Nathaniel - good to hear from you. I started cleaning up the plate, but am not too thrilled with it (the compressed plate). I'm not a professional matte artist at all, but if I were doing it for real and shooting the photos myself, I would have shot a lot more coverage of the room at different intervals.

This is sort of an exercise in tediousness right now. Yeah, it may be "real world", but I was hoping for something more imaginative, like all the cool ideas that were thrown around in the "ideas" thread. We'll see if I have time for all this cleanup. Things are getting busy here at work.

Artbot
04-17-2007, 05:14 PM
As I feared, other work has come up and I will probably have to abandon this challlenge. If only it had happened back in December when we started talking about it and our game was done. Oh, well, good luck to everyone!

Matellis
04-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Sorry to hear you cant take part Richard. Work comes before challenges thou:D
But I think after this challenge we should try and make them more regular. It would be nice if there was a challenge going on almost all the time around here. It seems to be getting a lot of people here checking out the matte forum too.

Cheers

Artbot
04-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks, Matt. Yeah, all the matte forum lurkers really popped out of nowhere when the challenge started, which is great! I just wish there was less clean up required for the plate on this one - I might have been able to finish something if that were the case, though it would have still been tough.

I agree, there should always be a mini-challenge going on. It would be easier to fit in to peoples' schedules.

milanschere
04-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks, Matt. Yeah, all the matte forum lurkers really popped out of nowhere when the challenge started, which is great! I just wish there was less clean up required for the plate on this one - I might have been able to finish something if that were the case, though it would have still been tough.

I agree, there should always be a mini-challenge going on. It would be easier to fit in to peoples' schedules.

agreed. to all of the above

everlite
04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey Richard,

Yep that "W" word always spoils the fun :)

I've learnt a lot from setting up the challenge, ideas that work and don't work etc, like Matt said this should be a regular thing and trust me when this one's out of the way i'm going make sure that happens, have a monthly challenge, not so much for prizes, just to get things moving around here. For future reference what do you think make's a good matte painting challenge? And by that i don't mean the theme itself. The thing is, when you take out technical conditions, like the clean up, extension etc .. it begins to blur with traditional painting and concept art and i think that should be avoided. I think you need to cater for both those familiar with matte painting and those new to the concept, and the trouble is that most new comers tend to struggle with the difference between a traditional illustration/concept art and what a matte painting is, a professional matte is subject to many technical conditions and contraints, that's the main reason why i added those stages. I'd like to here any ideas or thoughts that you might have, what would make a challenge for you?

Cheers - Dave :)

Artbot
04-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi, Dave. What would be a challenge for me? Finding the time to actually participate is a challenge! But seriously, I, too, wondered what might be appropriate tasks that will strike the proper balance between "real world" matte painting restrictions and 'blue sky" imaginative concepts.

It's a tough question, but this challenge seems to be very successful so far - I love seeing everyone's work progress. I think people are really hitting the mark with this one, more so than the Atlantis one (which ended up more of a design/illustration challenge).

In the future, I think it should always be from a supplied plate (or plates) like the current challenge. It's great to see everyone start off on the same playing field and take off from there, and it's a 'real world' requirement. Using an actual photographed element also sets the bar for realism that every matte painter should aspire to reach. But even using plates leaves a lot open to imagination, which is a mixed blessing. There's an entry that looks like it's in an underwater cave (which looks awesome, btw). Obviously that wouldn't be "allowed" in a real world situation since the story that's dictated to the artist would be specific about the use of the final image in the hypothetical movie (like having actors walk through the set, etc.).

I suppose we should ask what we want to get out of it all in the end. A real matte painting? A feedback exercise to improve skills? A test of comping different elements (photo/3d/physical model)? An exercise in imaginative design? Perhaps the option to combine all of those - is that possible?

One of the cool things about matte painting, and something I think confuses novices, is that you can "cheat" all you like in a matte. Take your own photos, GIS additional elements, build some 3d pieces, build a real model and shoot it - whatever works for the finished shot. It's all in service to the final image, not the process.

I'll think about it some more - while I'm working, of course! :D

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2007, 05:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.