PDA

View Full Version : Blendshapes for One Full character Poly Mesh.

b.Schulz
03-09-2003, 11:06 PM
I posted a similar question in the maya section (sorry mods...delete posts as needed I guess) But I have a model that's one mesh and I want to make blendshapes just for the head. What's the best way to go about doing this. (I'm using Maya) I would rather not have to duplicate the whole body everytime I make a shape unless this is the only method of doing so. Thanks in advance!!! :shrug:

goosh
03-10-2003, 06:28 AM
Cut the head
duplicate it
create the blendshape
stich it back to the body

:)

Goosh

b.Schulz
03-10-2003, 07:39 AM
Really?!? It's that easy? Someone also told me that I didn't need to restitch it to the body. I could just duplicate the whole thing (body and all). Cut the body off of those duplicates, make my blendshapes, then just create from there. Of course that's easier as there is no re-stitching together, but seems scarey. BUT if that's the most sure-free way to do it I guess that's what I'll do (re-stitching method that is). Thanks.

diakonas
03-10-2003, 09:50 AM
... yes, I tried this technique and works really fine!
But works only for Poly Smooth. Not for SubDs.

-diak

b.Schulz
03-10-2003, 04:49 PM
sweet thanks guys!

goosh
03-10-2003, 06:52 PM
I never tried duplicating the whole body first..

seems kind of a long way around, since you have to delete all the faces and make sure you delete the correct ones all the time.

the other way, it's easy and clean.

the stiching it back together it not a problem.. just make sure you leave the last rows of polys alone and it's ok

all you do then, it select the head, then the body. Combine them (now you have only one object) then you'll have overlap on the vertices where you had cut the head off.. so select all these vertices and merge them with a very small number.. (I like to have the count display on so I see how many vertices I've got selected and I know that after I merge them I should have exactly half)

and that's it..

simple.. try it a few times with a quick model and you'll see..

you want to weight it after you've done your blendshapes

and never delete the history (after you cut the head off) or your bendshapes will be gone... but remember to delete the history just before you cut the head off so your model is nice and clean

Goosh

pusher
03-11-2003, 05:27 AM
Is there a way to add a new target after the base object (head) has been combined and merged to the body.

I've tried this but maya keeps giving me this error message "Error: Specified blendShape not found in history of polySurface5".

b.Schulz
03-11-2003, 06:17 AM
Excellent question! ? ? ? ?

dmcgrath
03-14-2003, 03:09 AM
No I dont think that would be possible then. When you recombine an object, it will change the node name. Thats probably why you are getting the error.

Lomax
03-15-2003, 05:07 AM
Another way of doing this would be with wrap deformers.
You could make a copy of your mesh, then convert it to subDs. Then just seperate the head from the poly model. Both can be used for wrap-skinning, and you can apply your blendshapes without worrying about the history or poly counts

Doogie
03-15-2003, 06:41 AM
frigg'n wrap deformers... I had mine exactly set up like that w/ the blend shapes (my body was one mesh). It worked perfect so i animated the whole body, then went to animate the face. My wrap deformer broke! I didnt delete history or anything.

But i ended up parenting a new face to the head joint and using a transparency map so it blended to the rest of the body.. still had problems when the light hit it just right (fixed those by compoisting the face on.)

Good luck though.

Lomax
03-15-2003, 03:40 PM
It might have been caused by one of the wrap's channels.
I can't remember which one, but I think a value of zero causes it to operate on vertices, and a value of 1 is faces. By defualt it uses faces.
In my tests, skinning works fine, but things go wrong when the blends are used. Once the wrap is told to act on vertices, everything works the way it should. Hope this helps

sin_catcher
03-17-2003, 10:30 AM
Lomax
I think it's called Influence type :)
And maybe a value of 1 causes it to operate on vertices
and a value of 2 is faces;)
sorry about my English.

leif
04-05-2003, 11:46 AM
@pusher
Is there a way to add a new target after the base object (head) has been combined and merged to the body.

You need three objects, that are connected via blendshape.

the base geometry object (merged)

connected via blendshape to
cache blendshape object

connected via blendshape to
several blendshapes objects

you could then model new blendshapes and assign them to the cache blendshape object...

cu Leif

Khaos
04-05-2003, 06:36 PM
you could then model new blendshapes and assign them to the cache blendshape object...

Do you mean that the new blendshapes should be created from one of the targets that are already assigned to the original (merged) mesh?

Nicool
04-21-2003, 05:36 PM
A complete reply here
http://www.highend3d.com/boards/printthread.php?Cat=1,2&Board=mayaanimation&main=120781&type=post

AnimBot
04-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by goosh
Cut the head
duplicate it
create the blendshape
stich it back to the body

:)

Goosh

Maybe I'm doing something wrong becuase whenever I attempt this it creates a new polysurface and get's rid of the blendshapes and the rest of the history for both objects. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.