PDA

View Full Version : IMage Size

powerwave3d
03-09-2003, 10:48 PM
I'm new to the 2D side of digital art and I want to create an image that will eventually be printed 24inches x 36 inches. My question is when I make my file do I make it 24 inches x 36 inches inside Photoshop (or any other 2D app for that matter) and then start the image? With it that big, I'm thinking that it will be hard to navigate it while drawing since my screen is only 18.1". Or is the standard to create something of a more managable size and just make the DPI resolution really high so I can then increase the size of the image when it goes to print? If the answer is the resolution, what is an acceptable resolution. The end product will be something that will be framed and put on a wall.

Thanks.

jah
03-10-2003, 02:37 AM
well...

bad news... u got to start the image with the correct size u want to print it... if u try to start with a smaller size and increase the size at the end u'll get a low quality picture...

and resolutions for printing vary with the printer itself... home printer i would recommend 180 dpi up to 300 dpi... if ur going to a print shop 300dpi up :)

hope it helps :shrug:

sorry 'bout my lame english btw :X

cheney
03-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Keep your print size (size in inches) fresh in your mind. Then create a new image based upon the print quality multiplied by the dimensions in inches. Standard photo print quality for large images is around 300dpi. So, consider the following:

300dpi x 24in and 300dpi x 36in = 7200x10800px.

In Photoshop all that really matters is pixel size. Print size and resolution do not mean anything ever with one exception. The only time print size or resolution ever come into play is if you are attempting to print an image from an advance imaging program (such as photoshop). So, you must be able to calculate your pixel size or your image will turn out to be crap when printed. Most printers default to 72dpi which should only be used for text word documents. Don't create an image at 72dpi unless you want crap for quality.

Its possible to make a 24x36in image at 1dpi, but that would only be 24x36 pixels. If you are trying to create art for print then be prepared to work big. An image of 7200x10800px will be about 50mb as a jpg.

I highly doubt you have a monitor or theater movie screen large enough to show that image all at once, so you are going to learn to love the zoom tool. Or, you could invest in a dual 21in monitor setup since Photoshop allows you to open an image in more than one window. This means you could run a fully zoomed out image that actually fits in one screen, and that image in another window on the other monitor that is at 100% view.

powerwave3d
03-11-2003, 01:15 AM
thanks for the replies and information. I'll run the dual monitor past my wife... well, maybe not :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.