PDA

View Full Version : nhmchallenge_Matt Ellis

Matellis
04-11-2007, 02:50 PM
I am in! now lets get rocking the canvas!!

Good luck everyone and have fun :D

Cheers

(reserved for updates)

everlite
04-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey man, you're the first poster! cool :thumbsup: glad you're on board.

- Dave.

Matellis
04-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Oh I hope I can finish this one . Right now I am in the middle of getting my character concept art together for a possible job. So I dont know how much time i will have to work on this but I am in none the less :D

P.S my necklace that i havent taken off in 3 years just broke while typing this! not a good sign! ahhhhhhhhhh

Cheers

milanschere
04-12-2007, 10:57 PM
goode luck, man. i guess we are all in the same boat.
i have to be designing my ass off all day and now i signed up for this :D
who needs sleep anyways. my gf's gonna kick my...
anywayz, hope you get it done and have some fun with it.

everlite
04-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey mate, don't worry, you have around 6-7 weeks (at that point i usually sh*t myself ;-) key thing is with work that has a deadline, be realistic in what you can achieve in that time and don't over sell your vision (by attempting something that would take longer) :)

Sorry to hear about your necklace, hey maybe it's a good sign, set yourself free, un"chain" imagination ...? ok that was laim :)

- Dave.

AnimZiggy
04-13-2007, 12:19 PM
yay good luck!!! so did u ever get those dvd's or whot?

Matellis
04-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Milan: haha yeah I think you should just bring your computer into the bathroom and just tell your girl that your sick for the next while! we will get er done thou! we dont need sleep like you said.

David: yeah being realistic is the plan , nothing over the top. Just making a good composition for myself right now is key.

Ismini: thanks and no dvds yet. Thou they are on their way and should be here within the next week I figure. Damn now that you got me thinking about it thou , I hope I have enough time to watch some of those and get this done! Think its time to ask Alp Altiner how he found more then 24 in a day. Hes just crazy.

So here is mine so far. I started it lastnight and worked on it a bit tonight. I think I will call this done for getting rid of the people and signs etc, since I will be distroying most of it when I come up with the composition.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8818/nhmchallenge1ck4.jpg

Cheers :D

newmanhyde
04-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Great attention to details. :thumbsup:

Matellis
04-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Hey thanks Chih :D I just noticed a few odd curves that I will fix up right before I head to bed tonight aswell , the left railing etc :D Then It will be time to set up a composition and the real fun will start , cant wait!

Layer01
04-14-2007, 08:25 AM
i really like how you've done the sort of shadow/reflection on the floor. was that just hand painted?

SamsonsReaper
04-14-2007, 08:43 AM
good work mate!

but is that a person to the most right? :)

milanschere
04-14-2007, 01:31 PM
wow, yeah. your clean plate is really...clean! nice floor there.

everlite
04-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Looking good mate, i like how you picked up on the bottom step and have it going around the pillars, nice one.

- Dave.

Matellis
04-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Peter: thanks man , all I did for the floor was create a a layer and added noise , with a flat color over lay on top , then a new layer with hand painted reflection , then I just added a quick vertical motion blur to straighten it up.

Levi: thanks dude. Shhhhh you see no one! ;) nah haha I total missed that , I will clean it up tonight. BTW wheres your entry?!!?

Thanks Milan :)

David: Thanks mang , yeah when i first started painting over that first pillar it cought my eye and thought " ahhhh Fu*% now I gotta try and do that on the other side"

Cheers

Inlakechh
04-14-2007, 03:32 PM
hey dude, nice you are in aswell.
Looking good so far ...

Matellis
04-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks Marco :D

Here is a quick sketch before I head to work. I will try out some other ideas when I get home tonight.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/6381/nhmchallengeconcept1ya1.jpg

Cheers

fearing
04-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I like this one, great idea for the river !

Perhaps you could add some open area in the background...

Bye

SpetsK
04-14-2007, 04:21 PM
That's pretty cool. Not much left from the original but I'm not sure is that the purpose, to extend the image or just extend the canvas. Would be nice to see such like your sketch. I'll stop painting for now so no tempo, tempo, and you can catch me :p

Waiting to see more :)

JJASSO
04-14-2007, 08:05 PM
this is a nice composition and concept , maybe you should leave more ruins to keep the architecture and main idea , some foreground ruins would help as well and would give depth to the composition

everlite
04-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Yeh i agree mate, really nice concept but try and pull the original plate back a little :)

- Dave.

Halford
04-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Nooooooooooo!!!

I had the same idea for the river !!! :(...got to gind something else... I'll put askatch on my post soon.

I look forward to see more of your matte.

Hal.

everlite
04-14-2007, 11:11 PM
I was going to use a river/fall too, seems like an obvious choice, no reason not to use one, i'm sure they will all look different.

(Darn it!! :D )

- Dave.

milanschere
04-14-2007, 11:25 PM
i guess you guys just found the backdrop to seeing everybodies individual steps.

Matellis
04-15-2007, 03:25 AM
Luca: Hey thanks for the comment , I agree I will really try and add some background in there. I will add other ruins far back there aswell .

Kerti: Yeah I really want a weathered look to this so there wont be much left of the whole place.

Jaime: Thanks :D And I agree I will add some foreground ruin to this as well a bit more of the original plate. But yeah since the idea is to have this consumed by the natural world, I do want to have much of the strusture laying on the ground. It does not look like a structure that could withstand time a great deal like the pyramids.thou the original plate will still be the main focus.

Francesco: Sorry dude! haha yeah I think once people look at that staircase we all think about adding a waterfall. But this is only a first sketch so I might not even use it. Thou I do kinda like it. It will get a second more detailed sketch for sure.

David: exactly, I think even if a lot of people use a waterfall , all will be great in there own way :D

More sketches will come soon. I have been working the last 14 days straight so I will have a few days off starting monday. I will get cracking harder then :D

Cheers

everlite
04-15-2007, 03:39 AM
It does not look like a structure that could withstand time a great deal like the pyramids.

Trust me Matt it's been standing for 200 years from all the crap that england can throw at it, not to mention been bombed in WW2, i'm sure it'll stand another 2, 3, 500 years, even a thousand years :) Hey, it's british built :thumbsup:

Surprised to read you still haven't got ya DVD's yet, what's taking em?

- Dave.

Matellis
04-15-2007, 03:51 AM
David some good points there lol I spose it could stand , but I do like the idea of not much of it standing , thou I will add a lot more of the plate to that sketch when i redo it. :D

Yeah its taking forever.I waited weeks and weeks for the people at Gnomon to contact me and got nothing. So I emailed them two weeks ago and they said they would send the dvds at the end of that week so I am hoping they will be here anytime :D I cant complain since I am getting 40 for free hehe I cant wait :D

Here is the list if your interested (http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/1605/thelistly4.jpg) and dont worry I already have the Chris Stoski dvds :D

Cheers

everlite
04-15-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm surprised, ain't gnomon in Canada too? Geeze! Did you get to select the list or did they? Just makes me think they're getting rid of overstock or something. Though hey, what the hell it's free, can't complain :) I might enter there recent comp, the Lair. Sounds interesting.

Don't worry too much about the painting, just try to hold onto as much as possible without contricting your ideas.

- Dave.

Matellis
04-15-2007, 04:11 AM
I don't think they are in Canada but I am not 100% sure on that. They are being shipped from LA. And ohhhh yeah I got to pick them , it was great just going around on the site thinking " I want you and you and you etc etc". Since I cant really afford any of them :D Been saving my cash for my first wacom tablet and sculpting supplies. I have never seen a wacom face to face! ahhhhhhhhhhh :(

I am going to do a few more sketches very soon. I want to stay true to the main idea of the whole challenge. the plate should be fun to work with when doing the final matte :D

Tonight im working on the city life matte I have going. I havent touched it in a while :( I might update that tonight.

Cheers

everlite
04-15-2007, 04:21 AM
Wow, that is cool! I thought it was cool when they accidentally sent me two DVD's by accident, but now that seems pretty laim :) Hey mate you should believe in Carma, for every good thing that happens something not so good will always follow .... your necklace :)

And i bet it was so "hard" and painful having to write out that big, ever so long list of DVDs :) ... more like laughing hesterically.

- Dave.

Matellis
04-15-2007, 04:24 AM
hahaha man I was bouncing off the walls writing that list. Gitty like a little school girl all the way :D I will make sure to post a couple pics of me molesting the dvds when they arrive! so if you see them for sale someday on ebay make sure not to buy them! hehe

Cheers

everlite
04-15-2007, 04:36 AM
Urrrh, the mind wonders :)

Though do post a pic when the arrive, be good to see. (You molesting the DVDs :))

Gotta say the Vue one is really crap, it's always a bad sign when the guys say, "Oops, i didn't expect that to happen" and, "mmmm, i'm not sure why that did that?" Though the Ryan Church and Dylan Cole DVDs are really great.

Catch ya later - Dave.

Matellis
04-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Update

Here is a new concept , I think this will be my final concept so next I will start the matte :D

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4982/nhmchallengefinalconcepvf2.jpg

Cheers

SpetsK
04-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Oww, that's so far the best I have seen. Nothing too fancy, like sunset or sunrise, simple, yet a bit magical afternoon. Something I had in mind. :)

everlite
04-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Matte, looking good mate, one thing worth noting, but this is purely optional is that the real building goes off quite far to the left and right so it might be worth extending the ruins.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/history-architecture/architecture-tour/design/images/vu-hist-arch-tour-design-img_6161_1.jpg

Cheers - Dave.

Cameo
04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Yea a real ethereal quality to your concept Matt, I like it. London's never looked so good!

Matellis
04-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Kerti: Thanks Kerti , I wanted to make something nice and simple , nothing crazy. It was a pretty quick concept but my main focal was more about mood. I want the place to still be beautiful but in a different way now since most of it is distroyed. the main focal point will be the statue on the stairs so I will add lots of nice flowers and vines all around that area leading downstairs to the water with a hard light from the sun hitting most of that area.

David : I will try that out for sure today , but I dont want much ruins covering up what little background I have. I do have some ruins on the ground and leading into the forest on the left(a fallen building). I might just call that part of the same place lol not to sure yet.

Cameo: hahahah I have never actually been to london so I dunno if this is a better take of it. But I know I would like to see more woods incorporated in the design of citys :D

So today I will spend some time collecting reference photos and then I will start adding them into the concept. I will try out a camera projection for this matte but I dont know if I will have one finished. I have no clue how to do animated waterfalls (guess im going to have to pull out the chris Stoski dvds). Maybe I will have it like the Matrix slowmo! so then i can just have the water still. And maybe have a few bullets flying around for no reason at all hehe

Cheers

dellis
04-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Matt,

I love the new concept. I think that maybe some branches from the left side tree that are moving toward the right side of the image might help to drive the focus. When i looked at it the first time it almost felt like both sides were competing. Great job so far!

Matellis
04-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks Dwayne , I am actually in the middle of correcting the concept now, im adding more trees on the left side , sticking out of the forest , im hoping that will help lead the eye into the statue area . also I started adding some tree branches sticking out of the rightside. I think I should have this more over grown since I dont think anyone mowed the lawn there in a while :D

I will post some of the references that I have gathers sometime today as well .

Cheers

Matellis
04-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Ok just another update , I am pretty much going to call this one the final concept lol , a few things i might change here and there , but this will be pretty much it :D

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2074/nhmchallengefinalconcepux6.jpg

Cheers

Inlakechh
04-17-2007, 11:41 PM
good one, as I already told you :). dont forget the extension, dude.

Matellis
04-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Another update :D

Just starting to find photos that fit the scene really. I have been taking the light out of them so that I can do that manually later on. Right now my main focus is just getting the right images for the matte and then I will tweek them once I get a good amount in place. So far I have 7 images placed. Mainly in the foreground and a couple in the back :D

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5287/nhmchallengefinalmatte2es0.jpg

Cheers

Grrrrrrr
04-18-2007, 08:43 AM
This will have a really great mood.

Keep it up!

SoniaNotRed
04-18-2007, 11:18 AM
What Grrrrrrr said. :)
Already you can start to feel the cool, moist air of the woods.

Matellis
04-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks Vladimir and Sónia :D

Here are the references I used so far.

It might be a few days before I work on this again. Gotta touch up my character & environment concept portfolio for a possible job :D

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4662/referencesmattqz6.jpg

Cheers

Ivy00
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM
This is beautiful so far :) Love the mood already

miguelslo
04-19-2007, 07:26 PM
hot damn!! That's some fine looking progress! :eek:

Matellis
04-19-2007, 07:39 PM

I just got back from the post office! I now have my 40 gnomon dvds! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so I really dont know how much I will get done in the next few days lol

Cheers

everlite
04-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Glad to see they came through Mat :) Long time and well deserved. What was it you said you were going to do to those DVD's again :)

- Dave.

Matellis
04-19-2007, 07:59 PM
hahaha oh a few of them will be getting molested today thats for sure!!! about to stick on a ryan church dvd while i unwrap the rest! wooohoooo

They actually sent me 41 , so I gotta figure out what one wasnt on my list hehehehe

everlite
04-19-2007, 08:33 PM
They always seem to send one extra! like i was telling you about the time when i received two in the post. I bet you've got two the same :-)

The Ryan Church stuff is amazing.

So i guess the next time we see your nhm update it'll look like the interior of a Ryan Church .. church! :)

- Dave.

AnimZiggy
04-20-2007, 12:37 PM
yay u got them finally! :+)

everlite
04-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey mate, so how's the DVDs looking? have ya gone through the Ryan Church stuff yet?

- Dave.

Inlakechh
04-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I guess he's not going to come back until he has seen them all, so we'll have to wait some weeks lol ... ;)

Matellis
04-20-2007, 11:27 PM
HAHAHA they are great , got through one dylan cole dvd and one ryan church , im so damn drunk right now thou lol won 300$ playing the slots tonight at the local bar. But anyways ! even thou 2 dvds made me learn a lot , I think I might totally redo my concept i have so far :D They were totally inspiring. I will watch more tomorrow if im feeling ok :D

Cheers to beers!

Timmay
04-20-2007, 11:34 PM
^ HAHAHA wow

RiKToR
04-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey Matellis let me know if you change your concept. I was going to change mine since ours are so similar.

Matellis
04-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Will do Cliff :D

But I really dont think our concepts look alike. The main focus in mine is showing the all the flowers, vines etc that have grown all around the structure. But right now I have an idea that is a lot different than what I have now. I am not sure 100% that I will change it but if I do I will let you know :D

haha I dont even remember posting here lastnight , im surprised I "kinda " made sense lol

Cheers :D

RiKToR
04-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Well I shot about 400 pictures in Sedona Arizona last weekend so Im debating between a vine like overgrowth and something else.

AnimZiggy
04-23-2007, 01:35 PM
lol won 300$ playing the slots tonight at the local bar :D

ha ha now u can buy more dvd's :P unless u spent it all on beer :beer:

once i won at dog racing 200 euros. when i was freelancing in dublin... LOL it can get really addictive... :scream:

MarkyG
04-23-2007, 03:33 PM
looks really cool so far. I love the green and the trees.

-markg

Layer01
04-27-2007, 03:02 AM
41 gnomon dvds! what, did you rob a bank? lol
I like your concept..it actually makes the apocalypse seem so.. nice :D

everlite
04-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Hey Matt, so how many have you watched so far? :)

- Dave.

Matellis
04-27-2007, 03:18 AM
I am still alive! just been somewhat busy :D

Ismini: hahaha yeah its good at the moment but it gets very addictive , not good at all. I gotta try and slow down on those bloody slots!

Mark: Thanks Mark , I was thinking about changing the concept but I think this one is what I will stick with. Someday this week I will sit down and really look at it. See if any little changes need to be made.

Peter: haha no bank robbing , just won a contest held by Gnomon, you should check it out. They have a contest every month where the !st place winner gets 40 dvds! check it out gnomon forum (http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/)

David: Man I actually havent watched many , two Dylan Cole, two Ryan Church and a Feng Zhu one. I have been working at the ol gas station a lot and since we have been having some really nice weather I have been doing a lot of yard work , painting the portch , getting drunk on the deck and BBQing. With some concept painting in there too :D I hope I can get back to this challenge soon. But first I need to get these dang concepts done.

Cheers

everlite
04-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Nice one Matt, Life sure needs a balance between work and play :)

Matellis
04-27-2007, 03:31 AM
Thats very true. I find my art comes out better when I also do something other than art either through the day or the week. When I go on a month stretch of solid painting I always end up with stuff that I wouldnt even consider putting in my demo reel or portfolio. And then ends up being a waste of time. Well not waste , practise is practise but I need an art job damnit!
I am getting sick of the whole boring jobs and manual labour stuff. Thou the Xmas tree harvest this year was alright , I got to be out in the woods most of the day :D Thou I would be too tired to work on art until the weekend. Its time to get in gear and get an art job thou. So the challenge is a bit on the back burner for now. I will finish thou :D

Cheers

milanschere
04-27-2007, 09:43 AM
imagine working on art only to come home and do some arty stuff,
while getting an average of 4-6h sleep. hell yeah, that's life. or am i already dead?!?

milanschere
05-27-2007, 11:12 PM
watz happenin', matt?!?

Matellis
05-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Hey Milan, yeah i havent been around in a while. Been busy with a lot of other things so I have been watching the challenge from a far. I dont think I will be able to finish but I might give it a try the next couple days before it all ends.

Hopefully another challenge will start again soon and I will have time to work on that one thou :D

Cheers

milanschere
05-29-2007, 05:04 PM
nuh matte!
don gimme dat!!!
you could whoop out some shit in 3hours
that'd still be goode enough to enter...

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2007, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.