PDA

View Full Version : Birth texture problem?

Omniluxe
04-11-2007, 01:04 PM
i'm trying to do a desintegration style map using a gradient ramp, i ve made a blend material with my skin and my desintegrated shader masked by an animated gradient map, then i want to emit particles of fire via Birth texture using my gradient as emitter (inspired by one of allan tutorial about how he makes interface for his presets ), ok there is my problem i apply my blend material ( with the gradient in the mask slot ) to my object, and select the object via the birth texture but nothing happens...but if i make a simple material with the gradient on the diffuse slot it works, so how can i use my blend material to the object with that mask working on birth texture.
hope it's not confusing my english is a little crappy
:)

PsychoSilence
04-11-2007, 01:53 PM
i didnīt have much luck with birth texture in max 9. i often get it to crash max :(...have you already tried an approach like in the attachment? (max 8 file included)

next step could be to use the opacity map of the skin material inside of a volumeselect with a delete mesh modifier above to cut away polys in addition if desired...

kind regards

anselm

Omniluxe
04-11-2007, 09:38 PM
thx for the tips and the file :), i think i ll go this way.
wanted to go via birth texture because i heard allan say that it was quicker to calculate.
so if anyone can add a tought about that birth texture prob? :)
best regards

charleyc
04-12-2007, 05:39 AM
Once the Birth Texture is initialized, you don't need the material it used on the object any longer. So you can use your Gradient to generate the Birth and then swap out materials after that.

And if you get crashing with any of Box1 in R9, make sure you have the latest version. There were some issues when 9 first released, but most all the ones I had noticed have since been taken care of.

Omniluxe
04-12-2007, 01:22 PM
oh ! ok so i have to make sure my animation is at my taste then i switch back to the old material, thx :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2007, 01:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.