PDA

View Full Version : A few totally newb questions

tuggles
04-11-2007, 08:55 AM
I feel almost embarrased asking these questions but I just cant seem to find the answer.:blush: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

My first questions is in regards to edge loops. Im a total newb to max but I have been using blender for a few years now. The only thing like edge loops I can figure out is "cut" but I want something that wraps around the mesh through all of the edges in a given direction. For example: around lips of a character model. I admit I havent done the newbie tutorials mainly because I feel comfortable accept for these two issues. I browsed through them but couldnt seem to find the edge loop function.

Second question: How do I fill a vertice selection? Like I have 4 verts selected what command do I need to do to make those into a face? It was simple in blender, just hit f. For the life of me I cant figure this out in 3ds max.

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated!

jadedchron
04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I feel almost embarrased asking these questions but I just cant seem to find the answer.:blush: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

My first questions is in regards to edge loops. Im a total newb to max but I have been using blender for a few years now. The only thing like edge loops I can figure out is "cut" but I want something that wraps around the mesh through all of the edges in a given direction. For example: around lips of a character model. I admit I havent done the newbie tutorials mainly because I feel comfortable accept for these two issues. I browsed through them but couldnt seem to find the edge loop function.

Second question: How do I fill a vertice selection? Like I have 4 verts selected what command do I need to do to make those into a face? It was simple in blender, just hit f. For the life of me I cant figure this out in 3ds max.

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the first paragraph. You're looking to create edge loops or select them? You can create edge loops with the cut tool as you've said (among other methods) and then you can select edge loops by choosing an edge and hitting the loop button in the edge sub-object mode of an editable poly/mesh.

As for the second paragraph, you can create a face from vertex points by going into the polygon sub-object mode and using the Create function. You click on each vertex and then double click on the last vertex to turn it into a face. It's not automatic like you've described in Blender, but achieves the same effect. Maybe there's a hidden/3rd part tool for 3ds max I don't know about that'll do the same thing.

tuggles
04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Thank you for the response, this screen shot from blender should help me describe what I am wanting to do:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/tuggles/edgeloop.jpg

In blender if I take this circle and press cntl-R it activated the edge loop tool, I then select and edge (in this example the red verticle line) and blender will automatically place verts on every edge around this circle. it stays symetrical to the mesh and I can move it as close to either edge of the circle I want. As apposed to the cut tool, from what I have seen you have to make a cut yourself between each edge.

Get what Im saying now? I remember when I first started using blender after using anim8or and whoa, that was crazy, then I see some of the advanced features of 3ds,maya, etc so I saved money, now Im trying out 3ds because I have enough money to buy one of these programs. It is so daunting.

formerself
04-13-2007, 10:49 PM
for that particular examplei would go to edge mode and select all the edges. then click connect. that should put vets in the exact center. then i guess the scale tool would be your best bet for repositioning it evenly. you can also use the slice and quickslice tools to basiclly slice a straight line through your model.

for your second question you would have to go into polygon mode and hit create. then click all 4 verticies in counter clockwise. otherwise the face will be facing the wrong way and you will need to flip normal

THyRoID
05-02-2007, 12:26 AM
To add to formerself's reply, when connecting edges you have a few sets of tools called slide and pinch located in the Connect tool's dialogue window. To open the window just click on the button right beside the connect command.

AterAngelus
05-04-2007, 08:47 AM
One other thing you can do if you have a good flow to your model is select one edge out of the set you want connected and use the ring tool, it basically functions the same as the tool from blender seems to function (ive never used blender, so im speculating), but if you had that same vertical edge selected and use the ring tool then the connect tool it will accomplish the same thing.

I dont know if there is an easier way but if I wanted to move all of the newly created edges along the edges they now connect, I would set my constraints to edge then simply use the scale tool to scale in or outward.

I hope this has been of some help :)

Duncs
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
hey tuggles,

One thing to bear in mind, make sure you're modelling using editable polys rather than editable mesh - otherwise many of the tools described above will not be available to you.

In response to your last question you can fill a hole described by four vertices by using a border selection (third button along in sub object selection rollout). Click one of the edges of the hole and hit the CAP button.

Hope that helps

Duncs

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.