PDA

View Full Version : how to insert a node in between two nodes

Shankar
04-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Hi Friends,
In shake 4.0 I can insert any node in between two nodes by just drag and drop on the noodle. It's so cool .But this function doesn't work in shake 4.10. Is there is any way to solve this problem?
Thanks
Shankar
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/455079365_17e26a3725_o.jpg

beaker
04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
use the "n" key. It's in the whats new docs.

Shankar
04-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi Deke Kincaid,

Thank you very much. It works.
-Shankar

osxrules
04-20-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't understand what possible reason they could have had for changing this, it's so useful just being able to drag it onto the line.

beaker
04-20-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't understand what possible reason they could have had for changing this, it's so useful just being able to drag it onto the line.It worked fine with a single node but if your moving around your script with multiple nodes and drop them inside a cluster of other nodes, all of a sudden it would reconnect a bunch of them together. Very bad! The new way is so much better.

osxrules
04-21-2007, 05:18 PM
It worked fine with a single node but if your moving around your script with multiple nodes and drop them inside a cluster of other nodes, all of a sudden it would reconnect a bunch of them together. Very bad! The new way is so much better.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. I thought it only connected the node where your mouse was. In that case, this system is better.

What I could really use is some better transforms for node layout. Most importantly a scale transform. I often find I have a big cluster of nodes I need to squash in between two trees. I don't mean scale the size of the nodes - I know they are fixed - just the space between them.

beaker
04-21-2007, 10:00 PM
If you have snap on, just change the gridwidth and gridheight in the globals. If you mean when you hit the "l" key, then that is also in the globals under "layout tightness"

osxrules
04-22-2007, 12:32 AM
If you have snap on, just change the gridwidth and gridheight in the globals. If you mean when you hit the "l" key, then that is also in the globals under "layout tightness"

I usually layout nodes manually. Sometimes the automatic layout has put stuff where I didn't want. I think I probably avoid it more than I should. I tried it just now on a pretty messy setup and it made things quite a bit neater. But often, what it does is flip my entire tree around and it ends up slightly more messy in terms of lines crossing.

What I meant was a way to take a selected group of nodes and instead of 'l' to auto-layout, to use scaling to squeeze the nodes closer together where the center point would be the median of the node positions. This way the node order/configuration stays the same but they might be able to fit more easily in small spaces.

beaker
04-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Group is the only other option.

osxrules
05-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Group is the only other option.

I quite like groups but I find a few problems with them. One is that they are transparent so you can see all the nodes underneath them. Another is that if I duplicate a tree and move it, the group locations stay the same so when I open them, the opened group is often far away from the new tree. To me it would have made sense for the opened group location to be set relative to the group node.

I'm starting to use the L-key and and x-key more though and they are coming in quite useful.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2007, 02:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.