PDA

View Full Version : The modern matte painter

newmanhyde
04-11-2007, 04:40 AM
i have seen job scope of a matte painter like, matte painter cum texture artist , 2D background artist , 3d environment artist , concept artist ,vfx and compositor .its kind of confusing and frustrating for me. it seem that nowadays having 1 skill set is not enough. So how do one prepare their portfolio in this CG industry. Anyone can shed some light on this ?Thanks

crazybread
04-11-2007, 07:29 AM
A lot of senior matte guys are great artists all arround. They need to genatrate their own concepts, build enviroments in 3d that will later be rendered and overpainted by them, ohh yeah those need to also be textured by them, Then lots of senior matte artists like to composite their own shots so they do it all. Could you imagine a pro matte painter who couldn't do concepts or their own 3d elements? he/she wouldn't be employed very often. Matte painting doesn't involve just getting some random photos and arranging them in clever ways. You need to do it all, and 99% of the time you can't use any photos you find online so you can't just cut them up and arrange them in neat ways (something I see quite often done by wanna be matte painters). I know big companies outline a matte position this way to give a message that serious candidates will only be considered. IF you're seriously considering a position in matte painting, you need to focus on modelling, texturing, photography & what light does to objects big n small, you need to know about materials and how they behave in different weathering situations, how for instance a new building would look in 500 years with 500 years of rain n bird shit on it, You need to know about color, you need to know a bit about lighting a 3d scene, little bit about Final gather rendering & GI. A bit of compositing as well, so that you understand the different types of elements that are needed to make different types of mattes, weather they be 2d back drops for static shots or full 3d matte paintings with camera moves, in which case you go n help produce full 3d scenes or use camera projections for small camera moves, there is afcourse also something called 2.5D. You also nee to be very good in cloning stuff in photoshop, overpainting and mind the scale of things at all times, you otherwise risk the elements looking like toys (if you know what I mean) Anyways I don't want to scare you but you need to generally be a good artist with a bag full of tricks up your sleve. You don't want to take a job and realize quickly that a small studio is relying on you to do the shot from A to Y (minus lets say compositing) and all of a sudden you can't design, model, texture, render and set stuff up to get yourself going and create that matte. Yeah I know, seems impossible to know all that stuff, but Lots of pro matte painters do and for that they are wanted all over. You will learn lots as you meet people along the way to so don't dred. I hope this sheds some light on your concern.

newmanhyde
04-11-2007, 08:23 AM
its really amazing how one can master all those skills on top of the different software that it involves.Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2007, 08:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.