PDA

View Full Version : Final word on motionbuilder and character studio

biggyninja
04-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi guys, I've been scouring the web the last few days on trying to find a way to work between max's character studio and motionbuilder. Basically the artists are comfortable using character studio's biped skeleton for rigging, but we need to be able to jump between max and motionbuilder in a seamless as possible manner.
I know this subject has popped up a few times here, but all the posts seem to have fallen off the forum. After scouring the interweb the best workflow i could find was a tutorial from 2003 for motionbuilder 4:
http://www.alias.com/eng/support/motionbuilder/knowledgebase/S0071/3DSMax_BVH_Export_to_CS.pdf#search=%22cs_BVH%22

anyway, i ran this through a potential pipeline and it was considerably slower than i had anticipated.

Yeah, so im basically asking is there a better way of working between the two, and is there anyone out there using both?

cheers guys.

bclark
04-11-2007, 03:32 AM
It is quick and easy if you have the latest copies of your software...
http://motioncapturesociety.com/mcsforum/index.php?topic=30.msg38#msg38

you might need to create a log in.. if you want to ask more there.
----------------------

You have to have MB 751 and Max 9 for the BIPED pipeline to work, make sure youíre using the latest FBX importer/exporter for 3DS max (2006.11.1)

In 3DS max:

Export using the default settings, note the unit conversion setting

In MB:

Use the Bip01 as the hips (looks like the root node), add a null as a scaling node if needed and make it the ref. node.

Donít use the pelvis, foot contact node things

Donít rename, scale any independent node

Donít plot scale keys

Only save out the hierarchy, minus the scale null (if you added one)

Back in 3DS

The bone colour will be gone, a difference in the material handling between Max and MB

Thanks,

Joel Pennington

(the color will change but can be setback with a max script..)

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.