PDA

View Full Version : How to increase/decrease number of tree branches

Jlebowski
04-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi All, is it possible increase or decrease the number of branches in a tree? I am looking to animate the number of branches on a tree to create a more realistic "growing" type animation. I have seen examples of trees "growing", but really they are just scaling. Awhile back I came across a thread here that said Vue basically cannot do this, but this was version 5.

Does anyone know if version 6 has this capability?

Here is a small quote from the old thread to clarify:
"The tree is really only scaling, a small version of the tree scales into a larger version, and it doesn't show the branching growth that characterizes growing trees. Is that sort of animation possible with VUE?"

response: "I messed about with this quite a lot but ultimately, Vue doesn't have enough scope in it's animation tools or it's tree parameters to allow you to animate growth in anything but a primitive way. Most of the problem stems from the fact that there's no way to increase or decrease the number of branches in a tree. You sort of want to start with a single main stem then grow branches out of that, followed by more branches out of them. Then you want to bring on the leaves. All you can really do is grow the length parameter of the branches which is really no more than just a scale.
One thing you can try is animating the spread but really, animating growth in Vue is never going to be great.
Animation in Vue isn't great at the best of times. Don't expect too much from it, you'll only hurt yourself."

Thank you for any comments,

bruno021
04-13-2007, 01:59 PM
You can't change the number of branches in Vue plants. Even in Vue6.

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2007, 01:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.