PDA

View Full Version : cpu operating temperatures?

Gilgamesh
03-09-2003, 07:39 PM
hey, what's a good temperature for AMD chips. Mine seems to run at about 50 degrees C, up to 55 when rendering. That seems hot to me, but I don't really have a point of reference, so I don't know. I'm mainly curious because I just installed a new fan and heat sink, and I was kind of expecting things to cool down a little.

raz-0
03-09-2003, 08:10 PM
depends on the chip rating and what speed. It is within the operating specs of prety much all socket A chips, but depending on the chip might not be considered reassuring. For an early production 1800+ chip it sounds about right for example.

Gilgamesh
03-09-2003, 08:26 PM
alright, good to know. Just so long as I don't have anything to worry about.

GregHess
03-09-2003, 08:48 PM
gilamesh. As long as its below 60C it should be fine.

in the 20C's (or lower) idle is insane cooling system/cold room.
30C's idle is excellent
40C's idle is good
50C's idle is ok.

On average most Athlon XP's with a 3rd party cooling system usually run in the 40C's idle.

If temps start going too far past 60C, you might want to invest in a better cooling solution.

Also remember that each motherboard reports temperatures slightly different, which will tend to lean one way or another towards a particular system temp.

(An nforce2 board reports a different temp then a via kt400, etc etc.)

DaForce
03-09-2003, 09:25 PM
FYI

I have an AMD 2700, with a SLK-800. And with no load the cpu runs at around 39C's and under full load the highest i have seen it get is 45C's , generally with everday use it runs at 41C's. And that is with the cpu fan running 2/3 speed

singularity2006
03-10-2003, 02:18 AM
Do you get your temperatures from a software based system monitor? I usually run a crazy app and do something wierd and then have to reset and go through the BIOS to see my temp... but in doing that, the temperature usually drops back to whatever idle is at....

how accurate are those software monitors anyway?

DaForce
03-10-2003, 05:08 AM
they seem pretty accurate...and considering that it is what most people use to tell what temp their system is running at it would be silly to use anything else, because then you would get bigger differences in temps.

singularity2006
03-10-2003, 05:13 AM
yah, I guess all my temps are the idle temps then... cuz it's the temp reading i get after restarting the system to get into the BIOS..... -.-"

GregHess
03-10-2003, 12:14 PM
The bios temp is not an idle temp. Its more a 50% load temp.

When the system idles in windows, the cpu actually tends to get cooler then it shows in the actual bios. (Due to cpu idle programs within win2k/xp)

raz-0
03-10-2003, 05:00 PM
motherboard monitoring software is accurate, it is just that sometimes when they autoconfig, they might be off. When it tells you your cpu temp went up 5 degrees, it is usually spot on. However when it tells you you are idling at X degrees, it might be off a couple of degrees.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.