PDA

View Full Version : Export FBX from LW9 or other export to Maya

Arithmetico
04-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi,

I was wondering how to export Lightwave model from modeler or scene from layout (less important than model from modeler) to Maya. I need to transfer geometry, UVs and texture information (shading parameters are optional, ofcourse) from Lightwave 9 to Maya 8.5.

I don't have point oven, and I was looking around newtek site for fbx plugin, and all I could find was FBX for LW8 which doesn't work on LW9.

So if anyone has any idea how to transfer geometry with textures from LW to Maya without Point Oven or old FBX plugin..

thanks

PixelInfected
04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
export obj, with texture applied and you export correct geometry with :
- uv
- texture
- selection set
- point group

maya or other application read correctly this without problem and go.

softdistortion
04-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Unless things have improved, it does work, but .obj doesn't perfectly transfer LW>Maya. You get flipped normals etc...I seem to recall similar going Maya>LW with .obj.

Our teams Maya users repeated wish was always for better .obj implementation in LW...

I'm pretty sure I read someone saying LW9 is actually worse for .obj. :shrug:

Let us know how you make out.

PixelInfected
04-11-2007, 08:38 AM
i never experimented flipped poly or problms during my works between maya-lw
check your objects before to export.
i talk about 7-8.5 and 9.2, i never used obj export with 9.0

Arithmetico
04-11-2007, 11:25 AM
well, I've tried .obj (9.2) but it has some serious issues with exporting correct UVs.. flipped polygons are not much of a problem (though I haven't seen any yet).

does Point Oven provide that kind of funcionality - if so, is there a demo on their site? I've looked everywhere on ef9.com but I couldn't find demo version information

softdistortion
04-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, it could be our models were out...they were moving around a fair bit and I didn't always triple check...Having said that, I do recall having to often flip polys.

BTW: Found that comment about .obj/LW9...course if you don't have issues maybe it's been fixed.

http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html

Bottom of page.

jeremyhardin
04-12-2007, 06:46 AM
I had to do this recently for a project, and here were the problems I ran into (and solved).

The problems I ran into with obj export were:
Line endings problems with mac text files. Opening and resaving in Smultron solved this.
UV Maps not translating. For this I had to make sure that if a UV map was on a surface, all the polygons in that surface had some UV map data for that map. Also, the surface had to have a UV texture on the color channel to be seen during export.
Flipped or forgotten polygons in maya, or just failed import altogether. At first I solved this by tripling all the polygons, but that messed up my mesh flow, so I traced the problem polygons to those that had been booleaned and had odd border shapes:
http://jezza.lwidof.net/cgtalk/badExport.jpg
This can be corrected by using the connect tool in LW9 to create normal polygon borders:
http://jezza.lwidof.net/cgtalk/goodExport.jpg

So if the mesh is clean, and these steps are followed, I get flawless .obj export and maya import every time.

softdistortion
04-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Yes, missing polys was the other issues I recall having at times...
Thanks for taking time to relay your fixes Jeremy.

brunotag
04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
you can also download the modo trial, the fbx export work well and in few second you have your file in maya

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.