PDA

View Full Version : rigging the HOOD

tagore3d
04-10-2007, 06:30 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=111937&stc=1

Hi all ...can anybody plz tell me how to :

1. rig this hood

2. this should bend in such a way when the hood is not on the head ie , its behind the neck it should take a good shape. How this can be achieved ??

3. is there any alternate way other than Using BLEND SHAPES ??

4. this should hav controls to tweak in any direction. what can be done for tht ??

ghoest
04-10-2007, 03:07 PM
2 ideas
I assume this is maya
1) you could just make it a cloth object and simulate it using cloth using constraints to control the hood (it's all kinds of fun).
2) You can skin the hood to the joints that your body is using (or mirror weights)
3) You could also make it a wrap deformer (but this solution sucks b/c wrap deformers evaluate poorly and slowly)
what are you doing with the hood?

tagore3d
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi there..
this hood had been skinned with bones, but unfortunately tht was'nt working good,
the problems are :

1. when the hood folds backwards totally , it was giving somany deformations.(the shape was very bad)

2. when its tried with wrap deformer :(using a nurbs mesh whose isoparms are controled by bones), it was working good but it's got some problems like: mesh becomes heavy,
I had to seperate the hood from the main object so tht the wrap influences only the hood.

3. I've tried giving wrap influence dropoff object on the full object., but it was'nt working properly, like : if I increase the dropoff value the hood wont work properly, and If I decrease the value the body was also moving with the hood

Plz suggest any alternate method to make tht work better.

ghoest
04-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Alright,
The easiest way I can see of achieving this is maya cloth simulation.

Wrap deformers are not really a optimal way to achieve this effect. If it was a simple garment then wrap deformers might be the way to go. But you get better secondary motion with cloth simulation

StanrickKubley
04-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm new to rigging, but it sounds like the best solution is just to make a bunch of blendshapes for the hood. On the head. Resting on the shoulders. And some inbetweens. You could also make some side-to-side shapes. It may not be the way you want to go, but it sounds like the best solution, aside from simulation.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2007, 10:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.