PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Rigging (v. 1)

HelioAraujo
04-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Howdy, folks!
I'm studying the rigging methods from "The Art Of Rigging" (v. 1). I'm getting pretty happy with the results and would like to know if these teachings still hold for Maya 8 (the version I'm using at school).

Is there someone who read the book and still uses its rigging methods?

Regards,

kiaran
04-10-2007, 12:23 AM
All of the techniques I explained in The Art of Rigging are forward compatible with Maya 8.0 and 8.5.

HelioAraujo
04-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Kiaran,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm building things from the exercises on top of the previous exercise, IkToFkSwitch on top of NoFlipKnee, and will build GroupBasedReverserFoot on top of the two. Is this the way to go?

Regards,

kiaran
04-10-2007, 05:11 PM
If you're doing this for the first time, I would recommend building each setup by themselves first. Try to understand how it all works, rather than just blindly following the steps. Once you understand each setup individually, putting them together into one system should be a breeze.

A no-flip knee, IK/FK switch and reverse foot can definitely co-exist on the same rig. IK/FK switches are completely agnostic of what they blend between; in fact you can use the same principle to blend between any two joint joints (not necessarily an IK and FK controlled chains). The no-flip knee works on any IK chain, and has no problem playing well with a reverse foot.

Good luck :)

crick2x9
04-15-2007, 03:04 AM
I was looking at some rigging books. But i've found only stuff for TD's or not thorough enough. All I want to do is have my character type on a computer, get mad, bang his fist on a desk. I know there are many ways of rigging and it also depends on what you're doing (FK or IK i know i'll likely use FK but not sure) but i'm really confused. Our teacher is not very helpful, doesn't really know how to rig (go figure) and since there is a lot of political crap going on in my university we can't use a premade character (would be useful considering our teacher is an animator and knows little to nothing about other areas).

Heck I asked a question and the teacher just replied "you're on your own".

Ranting aside, will the art of rigging vol. 1 be enough or overkill for what I want to do? i've done searches, lots of dead links, old threads here, using other rigs, confused by all the types of rigs, etc. I'm really pressed on time and desperate.

I'm using Maya 7 if that's of any help

please help! :sad:

HelioAraujo
04-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I was looking at some rigging books. But i've found only stuff for TD's or not thorough enough. All I want to do is have my character type on a computer, get mad, bang his fist on a desk. I know there are many ways of rigging and it also depends on what you're doing (FK or IK i know i'll likely use FK but not sure) but i'm really confused. Our teacher is not very helpful, doesn't really know how to rig (go figure) and since there is a lot of political crap going on in my university we can't use a premade character (would be useful considering our teacher is an animator and knows little to nothing about other areas).

Heck I asked a question and the teacher just replied "you're on your own".

Ranting aside, will the art of rigging vol. 1 be enough or overkill for what I want to do? i've done searches, lots of dead links, old threads here, using other rigs, confused by all the types of rigs, etc. I'm really pressed on time and desperate.

I'm using Maya 7 if that's of any help

please help! :sad:

Hi Crfick2x9!

If you're not going to rig a lot on your own maybe the book is overkill. But I would buy it anyway 'cause it teaches you to do things the right way.

Anyways ... if you would like some help, I'll be glad to help you. Keep in mind that I'm a beginner in rigging (rigged only 3 characters for a short film and a rig of a very simple robot for training purporses during a animation workshop) and my "painting weights" skill are even more modest.

Regards,

digitalguest
11-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi everyone, i bought the 1st and the 3rd book of this wonderfull collection (the second is no longer available). I just started working on the first one, and i have a doubt about the No Flip Knee, why the author set the Pole Vector attribute in .1 making it flip, instead of leaving the .1 in Z as it is created by default ?

thanks in advance (sorry for my low skills in english)

Jean

digitalguest
11-24-2007, 09:37 PM
i think he did it so the rotation vector lies on Z, and when we raise the leg this one doesnt flip because is rotating in the same axis

those book should have their own thread :)

have a nice day everyone!

refract
11-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Books are amazing Kiaran.
If you are still reading this thread, have you seen this set up before? http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=88&t=394834

I went through your books online at my last work, but do not have them anymore. Just curious what you thought of that setup that jadecilcleton is talking about.

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2007, 08:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.