PDA

View Full Version : GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro settings

drj
03-09-2003, 09:17 AM
I'm trying to save and afford a new video card, but in the meantime i'm stuck with this one. Can anyone help me dial this thing in for Maya?
There are a lot of settings on these cards and I know the default settings aren't what everyone is using.

Here is a list of things I'm wondering about:
1. Hardware Acceleration: None to Full
2. 3D Antialiasing settings: Allow Application to control or Manually set (0x, 2x, 4x)
3. Direct 3D Settings: Enable fog table emulation, Mipmapping settings (Best Performance, High Performance, Blend, High Image Quality and Best Image Quality), PCI Texture Memory Size (Use up to XXX MB of system memory for textures in PCI mode), Position the texel origin (Upper Left Corner to Center)
4. Overlay Controls...everything is greyed out currently
5. OpenGL Settings:
Enable Buffer Region Extension
Allow the dual planes extension to use local video memory
Use fast linear -mipmap-linear filtering
Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction sets
Default Color Depth for textures (Use deskop color depth, always use 16 bpp, always use 32bpp)
Buffer-flipping mode (auto select, use block transfer)
Vertical Sync (on by default, off by defaul, always off)
Anisotropic Filtering (Enabled-Disabled
Use up to XXMB of system memory for texutres in PCI mode

iC4
03-09-2003, 09:56 AM
go to www.3dluvr.com, and search for the optimizing nvidia accelerators

The only important settings are the opengl settings, and my suggestion is to use the Maya profile.

KayosIII
03-10-2003, 12:28 AM
You warantee has probably already expired you can convert the card usually by moving two resistors -- you will need a fine point solding iron a friend and a pair of tweezers to do this. It is about as simple as soldering gets and there is little risk of damaging the board. If you are not that way inclined (and I am assuming you are a windows user) you can also use softquadro drivers.... You will have to do a web search for these. I personally found the actual hardware mod worked better than the software drivers though.

Basically once your card is being detected as a Quadro you will get a lot more performance options avaible to you. Some can speed up your display dramatically (specially in wireframe mode).

elvis
03-10-2003, 12:44 AM
www.guru3d.com/rivatuner - home of "softquadro". no need to solder your card and put it at risk of permanent damage.

KayosIII
03-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Yeah but I could never get all the advanced settings with the softquadro (the apps specific tweaks never appeared for me). They work now I have done the hardware mod --

elvis
03-10-2003, 11:37 AM
if softquadro didn't work for you, then you did something wrong. simple as that. the instructions and FAQ are quite clearly labeled in a step-by-step format.

there's more to it than installing softquadro and then the drivers. there are a whole bunch of anti-protection steps in between. again: RTFM and it's not terribly difficult. the author didn't spend a lot of time and effort writing the FAQ (in two languages) for people to not read it.

physically modding your geforce2 (or any video card for that matter) is certainly not recommended for the feint of heart, or slippery of hand. there is not a manufacturer on this planet who will honour warranty if you return a soldered card. remember also that your card could well die of natural causes post-solder, in which case it still is void of warranty.

softmodding is an easy and painless process, and will not cause any permanent modification nor damage to a video card. and yes, it does work if you read the instructions first.

KayosIII
03-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Most of the softquadro options worked for me but not all of them....

I agree with what you said about the warantee but chances the card we are talking about already has its warantee expired.
I waited until my warantee expired before modding my card.

I found the hardware mod more desirable because I can use updated drivers as soon as there released rather than waiting for the soft patch to be tested, I can use the card on multiple operating systems, the resoldering in this case was quicker and easier than installing the softquadro, the risk was minimal & It only ever needs to be done once.

OT: I am considering moving to brisbane later this year...

elvis
03-10-2003, 09:39 PM
fair enough if the warranty has expired already, but again it's not recommended for those who have never picked up a soldering iron before! :)

OT: you'll love sunny brisbane. best climate in australia, i reckon. :)

KayosIII
03-11-2003, 12:23 AM
Yeah I lived there about 2 years ago.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.