PDA

View Full Version : Animation Acting Challenge #7: Post Progress, Start April 7 - End May 7

SirRon
04-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Animation Acting Challenge #7

There are two topics to choose from

1. Getting hit by a projectile like a ball or bullet or TV or piano or anything....

Or

2. Audio Clip from Eurotrip (download attached file)
Scotty: "What happened to you?"
Jamie: "I got robbed. It was awesome!"

Rules
- Have fun animating!
- Use any rig and any animation software you like.
- Animate with any medium (3D, 2D, or stop-motion)
- You're open (and encouraged) to post your progress here if you'd like any comments and critiques.
- No time/frame restriction on the animation. Just remember that the more complex it is the longer it will take to finish. Make it by the due date!
- You can do both topics if you have the time. (added 4/8/07) Either separately or as one animation.
- You may add time before and after the audio clip, but please do not change the timing of the audio.
- A separate final submission thread will be created. Post your final animation there. I'll make the thread a few days before the deadline.
- Textures and lighting are optional. Playblasts are acceptable. Just make the acting clear and easy to see.
- Use any resolution and aspect ratio... but keep the file size manageable. Nothing over 20MB definitely. As for codecs, preferably one that's common like quicktime or windows media. My recommendation would be Quicktime and less than 5MB.
- When posting progress and for final entry please state which topic you are animating.
- (added 4/8/07) Adding music is optional, just don't make it distracting.

We'll do this for a month (April 7th - May 7th). Then we'll vote (May 8th - May 14th). We'll vote for the best animation AND suggest topics for the next challenge in that time.

Feel free to ask questions about the challenge. We're still looking to improve how the challenge is conducted, we're open to suggestions.

Tips:
-Don't know where to upload your final animation or WIP? I recommend using www.vimeo.com. Free to register. You get to watch a streaming flash video and if you're registered, users can also download the original video source.
-The audio can also be set to mono instead of stereo, that may help keep the file size down.

simbirirai
04-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Hectic... I liked the idea of the projectile but this sound bite is "jes tew good!" (said as syndrome would say it) I'm so torn...

Hmmmnnn... projectile or sound bite.. sigh all these decisions are destabilising my fragile mental state.

I suppose I must consult the oracle...

dudeacle
04-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Voting is in for Challenge #6

Come see who the winners are here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=479808

ivanisavich
04-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Hey cool! Nice to see this got plugged since I never would have heard about it otherwise :)

I would like to participate for sure! :D

mistasam02
04-08-2007, 08:14 AM
ooooo projectile.... can it be a body? :D

SirRon
04-08-2007, 08:16 AM
ooooo projectile.... can it be a body? :D

I was seriously thinking of the same thing. Yes, it can be a body. :D

mistasam02
04-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Awesome.. count me in! :buttrock:

The Funimator
04-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Wow! I'm in !!! It's a great opportunity to practise and learn from each other. I'll get my engine started soon! Woohoo !!!:bounce:

SirRon
04-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Hey cool! Nice to see this got plugged since I never would have heard about it otherwise :)

I would like to participate for sure! :D

Well that's the point of getting a plug isn't it? ;)

wait a sec... oh crap it's ivanisavich!! :eek: I really really have to step up my animation now :D

RageArtworks
04-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Can I combine the two into one animation?
This is going to be great!

Mu
04-08-2007, 12:43 PM
I have always dreamed of animating a nice little character who gets hit by a concert grand piano...

I haven't gotten beyond the point of a few bouncing balls and rough walk cycles, though...

1. Getting hit by a projectile like a ball or bullet or TV or piano or anything....

Is this a sign?

*consults his Richard Williams paperback for hidden messages...*

:D

Argh, I don't know... will real noobish work be allowed to mess with the pro awesomeness to be expected in here?

:argh:

Aluuk
04-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a fun challenge! I can't wait to see what people come up with. :bounce:

mttjss
04-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Tyson and Leif in the same room - if you guys are entering I am done! haha

Wow Leif - havent seen you around in ages! Hope Horton is going well(you are still at BS right?)

I think I am gonna try projectile one - possibly 2D.

Can't wait to see the ideas people come up with.

Matt -

RobertoOrtiz
04-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Well I am interested.

Keep in mind, I am NOT an animator.

-R

noob-saibot
04-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Awesome! Never have participated in a challenge here in all these years, gonna give this one a shot.

Cant dicide what to do tho, both options have great potential

/edit

Can we combine the 2 topics/options?

J0K3R 3D
04-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Dang ... no grenades is making this decision a tough one. Hope I dont bite off more than I can chew.

InAction
04-08-2007, 06:38 PM
How convenient that I just started playing around with Maya again, especially as I'm playing around with animation! I so have to join this - will prove good practice. :)

SirRon
04-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Can I combine the two into one animation?
This is going to be great!Can we combine the 2 topics/options?

If you can pull it off, yes! You can combine the topics. :)

Mu
04-08-2007, 06:56 PM
hey SirRon,

I might have unvoluntarily veiled my main inquiry in my last post due to advanced hysteria on my part, so I thought I'd better point it out again:

- starting to learn (2D) animation has been a long dream of mine and I just started out with a few bouncing balls and eerie-to-behold walk cycles.

- I am worried about prerequisite knowledge for this challenge. It sounds like an awful lot of fun, but are total noobs supposed/invited to take the plunge or would you say that community feedback is meant to primarily focus on optimizing existing skills as opposed to rubbing a noobs nose into the basics along the way...?

Wiz
04-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I am in this project aswell :)

Awesome sound track, Lots of ideas for this,greatness.

cyruslam
04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm in! hope i can handle it ^^ and prove my animation

thank you

SirRon
04-08-2007, 07:34 PM
hey SirRon,

I might have unvoluntarily veiled my main inquiry in my last post due to advanced hysteria on my part, so I thought I'd better point it out again:

- starting to learn (2D) animation has been a long dream of mine and I just started out with a few bouncing balls and eerie-to-behold walk cycles.

- I am worried about prerequisite knowledge for this challenge. It sounds like an awful lot of fun, but are total noobs supposed/invited to take the plunge or would you say that community feedback is meant to primarily focus on optimizing existing skills as opposed to rubbing a noobs nose into the basics along the way...?

Oh, sorry I missed your question on your last post :blush:

I'd say the primary focus for this challenge is to get people to animate. It doesn't matter if you're a fresh noob or a seasoned pro. If you feel confident with your skills enough to do any of the topics then go for it! This could be a great opportunity to improve your skills or push you to new things you might not have experienced if you were on your own. If you feel like you need more time to get the basics there's always next challenge.

Don't be intimidated by the more skilled animators here. Who knows, they might even give you some advice or two on your animation. As much as we'll recognize who did this best job, this is mainly for fun! :D

Slurry
04-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Well I am interested.

Keep in mind, I am NOT an animator.

-R

[Yoda voice/on] You will be. You WILL be...[Yoda voice/off]

;)

living_for_cg
04-08-2007, 08:18 PM
ok ok ok im in :bounce:...lets breath :wise:
some questions....does it matter to use free rigs?? and i wanna know if the render and the character has any effect on the judgment?

BobbyPontillas
04-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Cool audio clip! If I can think of something cool I'd be down to participate!

MoutMout
04-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm interesting about this challenge.

Just one question...Where can I get rigged character for maya to work on lip synch?

Cheers, moutmout.

bawhabmw
04-08-2007, 09:14 PM
If I can find a rig I like and the time to do this I'm in.

InAction
04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
ok ok ok im in :bounce:...lets breath :wise:
some questions....does it matter to use free rigs?? and i wanna know if the render and the character has any effect on the judgment?
"- Use any rig and any animation software you like." :arteest:

I'm interesting about this challenge.

Just one question...Where can I get rigged character for maya to work on lip synch?

Cheers, moutmout.

This one should work fine for you. :D It doesn't have the most extensive set of phonemes - just the necessary.
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/character_rigs/Alfred-4295.html

MoutMout
04-08-2007, 09:41 PM

This one should work fine for you. :D It doesn't have the most extensive set of phonemes - just the necessary.

Thanks soooo much!

It really works great!

Aluuk
04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Tyson and Leif in the same room - if you guys are entering I am done! haha

Wow Leif - havent seen you around in ages! Hope Horton is going well(you are still at BS right?)

I think I am gonna try projectile one - possibly 2D.

Can't wait to see the ideas people come up with.

Matt -

Hey Matt,

Not sure I'm going to have time to enter...work is super busy. But I'm really interested to see what everyone comes up with!!

-Leif

WhItY
04-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I would like to enter too - but does anyone have a model as .obj file or somethin animatable for Cinema ?!

I wonder what people come up with :)

Thx,
WhItY

diegosocart12
04-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I've been waiting for you guys to start a new challenge. I'm starting on it right now! I too like both ideas, and if I can do it without detracting from the overall animation, I'm gonna try to do both ideas in one clip. A tall order, but it sounds fun enough to try. Good luck to everybody, I can't wait to see everyone's ideas. Now off to do some thumbnails.

dudeacle
04-08-2007, 11:06 PM
The turnout here is impossible to pass up. Im going to have to stop what im doing on my reel and participate this month. Thanks SirRon for making the plug and RobertoOrtiz for posting it.

Cant wait to see everyones animations!

Gwen
04-08-2007, 11:29 PM
This will be my first foray into posting on this site. But the challenge looks so fun I can't resist!

InAction
04-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks soooo much!

It really works great!
I'm glad I could be of assistance. :) It's really late here but tomorrow morning I so have to make my storyboard for this, or perhaps during breaks at work. Good luck to everyone. :thumbsup:

mistasam02
04-08-2007, 11:43 PM
So we can post work in this thread? I have some progress on the projectile:

Banana Death!
4mb 640x480 Quicktime
http://samanimates.com/animation/bananadeath.mov

Is it ok to do both? I want to animate the lip sync as well.. but if you can only accept one entry per member, that's coo with me. Cheers :D

SirRon
04-09-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm glad I could be of assistance. :) It's really late here but tomorrow morning I so have to make my storyboard for this, or perhaps during breaks at work. Good luck to everyone. :thumbsup:
Thanks for answering those questions. I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:
So we can post work in this thread? I have some progress on the projectile:

Banana Death!
4mb 640x480 Quicktime
http://samanimates.com/animation/bananadeath.mov

Is it ok to do both? I want to animate the lip sync as well.. but if you can only accept one entry per member, that's coo with me. Cheers :D
Yes you can post work on this thread and you can do both topics as one animation or two.

If you're even unsure of the rules, reread the first post. Sometimes I add stuff to answer new questions. :)

Wow, you got to work on that right away didn't you? Good start, but what if after the banana gets shoved in his mouth he grabs his neck and chokes on it before he goes down? Just a thought. Looking forward to seeing more work.
The turnout here is impossible to pass up. Im going to have to stop what im doing on my reel and participate this month. Thanks SirRon for making the plug and RobertoOrtiz for posting it.

Cant wait to see everyones animations!
Dude! This turnout is amazing! The difference a plug makes haha! Thanks everyone for checking our little challenge out :applause:

jpencilworks
04-09-2007, 04:27 AM
man, this thread is getting hits like crazy, so cool. Count me in, I love this stuff.

Congrats to you SirRon and dudeacle for such a success to these contests, you two have done a fine job of moderating and staying on top of the situation.

I'm so impressed to see such growth here. The processing of the votes, the listing and deciding of new topics, the plug for the current contest, you guys are performing a great service to our community, and I'd like to extend to you my personal thanks.

jpencilworks

andy_maxman
04-09-2007, 04:49 AM
ah! miss those first sessions Ali started some years ago...i'm nostalgic...

bleumoon
04-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Wow, I'm so glad this was plugged. I would have totally missed this otherwise. I'm kind of swamped here at school and I'm going to be gone for a week, but I think I'm going to have to make some time to do something small for this. It just sounds too interesting to pass up.

PureMoxi
04-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Have checked these out from time to time...really appreciate that you (SirRon) take the time to post and organize this...can't wait to see what folks produce...hopefully i'll find time to get in on the action.

sphere
04-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Cool, I'll be in this one for sure. :thumbsup:

AikoWorld
04-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm in, lets get it cracking, havent animated for a bit now, so this is going to be fun.

Great Thread!

MoutMout
04-09-2007, 12:15 PM
So I'm in too...

I'm still a student in CG and I really hope to be an animator one day...so guys hope you'll give me some good advices and I don't have doubts about this.

Thanks again to make such a good challenge.

Good luck to everyone :bounce:

J0K3R 3D
04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
WOW! Alot of entries this month. Intimidating to say the least. :argh: :eek:

heheh ..... Lets Rock!:twisted:

Sherif.Nagib
04-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm so glad they've decided to plug the animation challanges finally, you guys've proved you can make it last for 6 challanges, gr8 job !

I'm just a bit confused on the double category issue, is it gonna be like 2 1st place winners, each for a subject, or is it gonna be one only for both ?

final question: does a guy hanging from a rope count as a projectile ?
can I use a dialogue sound clip for the projectile contest (other than the road trip one).

MoutMout
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Here is my WIP for the dialogue contest...

http://www.mediafire.com/?9cj2yjwoe1z (http://www.mediafire.com/?9cj2yjwoe1z)

I hope you can give me some advices and comments :)

sinbad
04-09-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm in, this should be fun and I've got some time off work :)

dudeacle
04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm so glad they've decided to plug the animation challanges finally, you guys've proved you can make it last for 6 challanges, gr8 job !

I'm just a bit confused on the double category issue, is it gonna be like 2 1st place winners, each for a subject, or is it gonna be one only for both ?

final question: does a guy hanging from a rope count as a projectile ?
can I use a dialogue sound clip for the projectile contest (other than the road trip one).

Thanks, we are trying to make these fun and helpful for animators.

There will be a winner for each topic.

The guy hanging from a rope can only work as "getting hit by a projectile" only if he falls or swings and hits someone or, if something hits him. Yes you can include audio only if it is not to distracting.

Grayscale
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
*scratches through his calendar* I think I can make this work. It will be fun to attempt to do a challenge in a month :)

Mu
04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Don't be intimidated by the more skilled animators here. Who knows, they might even give you some advice or two on your animation. As much as we'll recognize who did this best job, this is mainly for fun! :D

Okay, woot! That sounds great.

As the last thing I animated (apart from my bouncing ball exercises) were some flipbook stick figure movies some twenty years ago, my main goal will be to get this finished at all.

I will do this in 2D.

MoutMout - a little feedback from me (from my role as a non-expert viewer only): as your "robbed" character is looking down first and then comes up with the surprise of "it was awesome" I think it would be nice if you were a little closer to the character's face with the cam so one can clearly see changes in his expressions a.s.o.

Apart from that it's already quite intimidating to see how far people have gotten already...:scream:

:eek:

maxspider3000
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
wow ... that's gonna be so greet, I was looking for any animation challenge with my work-mates lately .. this will be our one :)
didn't download the audio clip yet, so I didn't decied witch one I will choose ...
good luke for everyone ^_^

Mu
04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
hey there,

here's the character I will be dropping a piano on...:D

trying to keep everything as simple as possible as I will have to draw it so many times for that short snippet I want to do...

http://muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/animchar.jpg

I figured I need a nice face capable of expressive eyes and mouth/corner of the mouth as well as a belt line.

plan is as follows:

- draw the character again digitally as I am going to do everything in Painter
- do key drawing sketches which can serve as cornerstones of a storyboard
- do a quick animatic(?)
- key drawings
- in-between everything
- go crazy and whiney

last two points probably simultaneously...:scream:

:argh:

jhuasdas87bd
04-09-2007, 06:31 PM
i'm not an animator but i'm in. it sounds very funny!

liquidik
04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
ohhhh guys, you got me on this...I'm in too...too fun!

Gian

kevinw
04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
My wife is due to give birth in three weeks. If she doesn't deliver early.. I'm in.

If she does.. Then I'll be busy and probably won't get time to finish.

MoutMout
04-09-2007, 08:04 PM
MoutMout - a little feedback from me (from my role as a non-expert viewer only): as your "robbed" character is looking down first and then comes up with the surprise of "it was awesome" I think it would be nice if you were a little closer to the character's face with the cam so one can clearly see changes in his expressions a.s.o.

Sure the camera was'nt in the best angle of vue...so I did a render again whit two cameras...this is not the final vue, it's just to have some critics and comments about expressions.

files.mov 3.5Mo
http://www.mediafire.com/?6nwwnjeyqcl

Thanks...and as always..sorry for my english :D

Edit: congrats KEVIN :)

SirRon
04-09-2007, 08:19 PM
MoutMout:
Jamie (the right character) looks like he has a stiff right arm. Also I think you can put more energy into him as he's saying "It was awesome!" You did give him some life after the "-some" with the excited head nod and bounce with the legs, but before that he looked tired.

Looking good, keep it up.

Mu:
It's really good to see a 2D animator here :D I should also mention pencil tests are acceptable final submissions since they're like the equivalent to playblasts. Which topic do you plan on doing?

kevinw:
Hey Kevin! Congrats on having a baby! :applause:

MoutMout
04-09-2007, 08:30 PM
MoutMout:
Jamie (the right character) looks like he has a stiff right arm. Also I think you can put more energy into him as he's saying "It was awesome!" You did give him some life after the "-some" with the excited head nod and bounce with the legs, but before that he looked tired.

Looking good, keep it up.

Thanks very much, it's such a plaisure to me that a big man of animation like you help me :)

Yes it's true the changing mood begin too late, I haven't see that.Maybe I wanted to ancipate the bounce too much, and sorry but what do you mean by : "a stiff right arm"?

Thank you again
Cheers

SirRon
04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks very much, it's such a plaisure to me that a big man of animation like you help me :)

Yes it's true the changing mood begin too late, I haven't see that.Maybe I wanted to ancipate the bounce too much, and sorry but what do you mean by : "a stiff right arm"?

Thank you again
Cheers

Haha I'm as big as an ant compared to a lot of the animators I've seen here. Especially some animators that showed up here; Tyson Ibele, Leif Jeffers, Bobby Pontillas, and a lot of these AM students. :surprised

As for the "stiff right arm" comment, I mean it looks straight for most of the animation.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Sirron/stiffarm.gif
You can probably just lower the shoulder some more to relax it too. Nice drag on the hand though.

BTW, take my c&c however you like. I'm hardly an expert but I've cried and shed blood for animation.... mostly cried and not enough blood LOL :D

desktopepics
04-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Great oppourtunity to get better each month. I could have sworn the 'pass the grenade' was going to win, but whatever ... Going to do the projectile.

DesktopE.

mttjss
04-09-2007, 11:13 PM
SirRon - gotta let me in on what you used to draw on that animation. I have been looking for something to watch my arcs with a more 2D approach so its quick and painless.

Matt -

SirRon
04-09-2007, 11:35 PM
SirRon - gotta let me in on what you used to draw on that animation. I have been looking for something to watch my arcs with a more 2D approach so its quick and painless.

Matt -

I used Flash MX for that. Import, make new layer, draw on each frame, export. I guess you could do that with Adobe Imageready but I don't think managing the animation is smooth.

Unfortunately I don't know how to capture each frame separately in Flash.

Tell me what programs do you have access to and maybe I can tell you a way to draw on your stuff. Alternatively, you can use Jason Schleifer's greasepencil.

Funxer
04-09-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm in!!!

I just have one question... Is a lightning bolt a projectile?

SirRon
04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm in!!!

I just have one question... Is a lightning bolt a projectile?

Hmm.... good question....do we have any fulminologists (someone who studies lightning) here?

I would have to say no. I don't think it has kinetic energy to push an object and that's the point of that topic.

But I think you can do it anyways. Just don't do the stereotypical lighting striking a person and he just stands there looking burnt. :p
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Sirron/lightning.gif

Flash rocks

blurgh
04-10-2007, 01:11 AM
hehe looks liek challenge has hit the big time drawn in some big names :D

not sure if i can compete this time tho :( loads on with college short films

good luck!

-Darken

eirenicon
04-10-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm not much of an animator, but I like to dabble once in a while. When things click right it can be a lot of fun. Here's a quick test I cooked up: Gray Man vs. the Yellow Balls.

http://www.timothyd.com/art/yellowballs_test.mov

It's definitely far from perfect, I know of a few immediate problems but if you notice anything feel free to thoroughly insult me ;).

[edit] And a small update. I've decided to lengthen the time between fighting off the wee yellow balls and being crushed by the uber-ball.

http://timothyd.com/art/yellowballs_test2.mov (http://timothyd.com/art/yellowballs_test2.mov)

dudeacle
04-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Ha ha, nice lightning strike SirRon. Even though its stereotypical :)

moush
04-10-2007, 04:02 AM
Woohoo and am in the challenge!! Getting hit by a projectile!!! Yup yup thats the one for me!!! :bounce:

khet13
04-10-2007, 05:41 AM
weee~
the more the merrier :)
missed out the previous 1, Im not going to miss out this 1 :scream:

khet13
04-10-2007, 06:06 AM
weee~
the more the merrier :)
missed out the previous 1, Im not going to miss out this 1 :scream:

mistasam02
04-10-2007, 07:32 AM
For drawing arcs, as said above by SirRon, China Marker is an awesome and easy to use plugin for Maya. I've used it a lot making serpant trails and that kinda thing.. soon to be using it for fight sequences.

As for my animation.. I think I'll focus more on the lip sync than what I made so far for the projectile. It seems like more of a challenge, and I have a cool idea for it involving stormtroopers and nudity. :D Progress to come as soon as I put down God of War. Grrrr that game is addictive!

SkyZero
04-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Ooh! This sounds like fun, I want to play too! :D

Here's a quick layout/planning pass of what I have in mind: http://freddyburgos.net/tests/got_robbed_planning_v01.mov

I'm trying to go for a sarcastic type of attitude, hopefully that comes through. Any comments or crits welcome! :thumbsup:

Mu
04-10-2007, 08:35 AM
SkyZero! That is looking like it's going to be a real cool entry...:thumbsup:

It's really good to see a 2D animator here :D

2D animator...?! Where?

:scream:

I should also mention pencil tests are acceptable final submissions since they're like the equivalent to playblasts. Which topic do you plan on doing?

I plan to drop a piano on my character, mainly because I have had that vision before the challenge started...:D
I am a bit concerned about the projectile traits of my piano, though, because I wanted to simply drop it... 1940s-Tom&Jerry-irrationally-high-stored-anvil-gets-dropped-on-cat-style. But to enhance projectile character I would have to shove it into my character sideways... don't know, really.

Last thing: I tried to let google define playblast and looked for it in my fav online dictionary, but could not find it... what is that?

noob-alert, I was telling you...:D

khet13
04-10-2007, 08:47 AM
sorry for the triple post....comp was laggy :)

diegooriani
04-10-2007, 09:45 AM
SkyZero,
Where can I find this rig that you are using? I know it is from "animationmentor", but do you where can I download for "free" or have "access" to it?

SirRon,
Congratulations mate. I saw you won the C#6! Well done. Well deserved.

Listen, do you remember when we talk about the script for Mokey Jam which import the timing to Maya? I would like to have access to it. Let me know if you read this.

I am sketching my animation yet. Jesus...

See you,
Diego

jpencilworks
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
SkyZero,

Thats some fine work there, great start, the expression changes in the body and face keep it interesting while doing a fantastic job of telling what the characters are thinking and feeling.

Really strong.

SirRon
04-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm not much of an animator, but I like to dabble once in a while. When things click right it can be a lot of fun. Here's a quick test I cooked up: Gray Man vs. the Yellow Balls.

http://www.timothyd.com/art/yellowballs_test.mov

It's definitely far from perfect, I know of a few immediate problems but if you notice anything feel free to thoroughly insult me .

[edit] And a small update. I've decided to lengthen the time between fighting off the wee yellow balls and being crushed by the uber-ball.

http://timothyd.com/art/yellowballs_test2.mov

Good stuff, I laughed when that big ball rolled in :) I don't know if this is one of the immediate problems you're already thinking of... but his left foot isn't on the ground when he jumps, so it looks like his foot is pushing off in mid-air rather than off the ground. You could probably take a few frames out of him in the air by having him jump later. That would make the jump quicker, that's my suggestion.

Last thing: I tried to let google define playblast and looked for it in my fav online dictionary, but could not find it... what is that?

Playblast is Maya's way of previewing the animation without rendering the textures and lights. Either you render the whole scene which may take hours or take 30 seconds to playblast to see how your animation looks in real time. Like a pencil test, you're seeing the animation without the clean up and colors. I think Maya is the only 3D software that calls it playblast.

Playblast (http://www.vimeo.com/clip:161738)
Rendered (http://www.vimeo.com/clip:162037)

SkyZero,
Where can I find this rig that you are using? I know it is from "animationmentor", but do you where can I download for "free" or have "access" to it?

SirRon,
Congratulations mate. I saw you won the C#6! Well done. Well deserved.

Listen, do you remember when we talk about the script for Mokey Jam which import the timing to Maya? I would like to have access to it. Let me know if you read this.

Thanks Diego :)

That animation mentor rig is only for students, I don't think it'll ever be released to the public.

Here's a link to Monkey Jam (http://www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/). But the Monkey Shuffle script I don't think is public either. I wouldn't worry about having to use them, you're good to animate without them.

Man, I gotta thumbnail my animation out... :wip:

BobbyButters
04-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to download this rig, but all I find in the .rar file is an images folder with the texture. Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks!

Bobby

SirRon
04-10-2007, 07:43 PM
BobbyButters:

You can try downloading from here.
http://rodri.aniguild.com/?mod=tips

Chiko
04-10-2007, 08:44 PM
This sounds like fun! I think I will join :P

PSekal
04-10-2007, 09:03 PM
im in time to shoot some projectiles :bounce:

diegosocart12
04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Skyzero, it looks good so far. You AM guys really seem to understand animation! I really like the expression on the "It was awesome" guy, but I don't understand the expression on his face at the end - the somber one. I can't wait to see it finished.

J0K3R 3D
04-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Skyzero: Love the poses. So far so good. Only thing I would suggest is to maybe show the other guys expression in responce to "It was awsome!"

Though I do like revert back to "yeah whatever" mood the guy that got robbed goes back to. Hmm ... show both? :D

pic2230
04-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Well this has peeked my interest. I haven't touched Maya in about 8 months and am more of a modeler but this looks like fun.

Here's what I came up with so far after a day. Still gotta do some research on adjusting curves and all that fun stuff.

http://www.polycreate.com/playblast.avi

Ninja model and rig by Dan Neufeldt

and a pic of what the final rendered video might look like.

PScanlan
04-11-2007, 03:13 AM
I'm in! Sounds like fun!

SamuraiSimon
04-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Here is an animation using Reactor in 3ds Max 8 that I did late last year using a different computer. I have gone to try and redo something simlar but for some reason I can't get reactor to work - it just crashes max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLcyV_QYQOw

Will have to go back and animate something using keyframes.

sphere
04-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Shall we get a progress thread going?

Looks like plenty of people have got a start on this.

SirRon
04-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Shall we get a progress thread going?

Looks like plenty of people have got a start on this.
This is the progress thread. It kinda works like the Open Figure Drawing Workshop (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=199&t=464292) over at the Anatomy and Figurative forum. One progress thread so we can see everyones work at the same time. But everyone is free to make their own thread in the WIP forum or post their progress on any other forum.

sphere
04-11-2007, 06:39 AM
This is the progress thread. It kinda works like the Open Figure Drawing Workshop (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=199&t=464292) over at the Anatomy and Figurative forum. One progress thread so we can see everyones work at the same time. But everyone is free to make their own thread in the WIP forum or post their progress on any other forum.

Oh right, yeah sorry. Didn't read the title properly :)

Ramteen
04-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey folks :d I came back to animation agian (After a few monthes) and so glad to say that I`m gonna join you and participate :D . Here we go. By the way I`v already started my pose to pose, once it`s finished I let u c :D . Cheers !

liquidik
04-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Guys, you're faaaaaast. I'm in thumbnailing mode right now, I like the fast changes I can make. I'll post something in the evening or later tomorrow (got a job interview, fingers crossed!).

Gian

J0K3R 3D
04-11-2007, 07:36 PM

Might be a good idea to actually seperate threads now. Thanks to the plug we've got a major head count this month. Probably even more next time. Its getting kinda of hard to keep up with whats going on, and finding old posts lol. I think 3 would be good Topic, WIP, and Finals.

Topic for questions and "ooo im in!:D " posts. And well ... the rest are self explanatory.

- Just a though:)

AikoWorld
04-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Little explenation on the scene.
Big Meteor approaches the surface.
Kitty Cat uses its power the hold off the meteor.
He nearly breaks down the meteor, but just a small rock is left over, hits his head.
Nocks down the cat.

The animation that you see now, are just a couple of breakups, didnt do much more, as i just wanted to post what the scene is about.

So my next post will be with much better and more breakups and timing added.

http://aikoworld.com/cgs/breaktest1.mov

sphere
04-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I've just started blocking this one out. I'm using the audio clip from Eurotrip for mine and if I get time I'd like to try the other topic as well.

Link to quicktime (500kb) (http://www.shanerichards.com/animations/robbed_block_01.mov)

Still not sure about camera angles and timing of everything, but I'll refine that as I go. It took enough time trying to get the two characters into the one scene and all the facial controls working on both of them.

polypic
04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
slamo 3alekom okay i still defining things here & this the test of animation

http://www.bof3d.com/up/get-4-2007-bof3d_comddar6058.rar
or
http://d.turboupload.com/d/1703505/bang.mov.html

thax

sinbad
04-12-2007, 02:56 PM
SkyZero,

No free access to the AM rigs. Not unless you pay for the course ...or are prepared to get sued by Bobby Beck.

PSekal
04-12-2007, 03:28 PM
guys you can find planty of free riggs here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=26&t=190975

SkyZero
04-12-2007, 06:13 PM
SkyZero,

Thats some fine work there, great start, the expression changes in the body and face keep it interesting while doing a fantastic job of telling what the characters are thinking and feeling.

Really strong.

I appreciate the kind words jpencilworks! I hope it turns out how I have it playing back in my head. ;)

Skyzero, it looks good so far. You AM guys really seem to understand animation! I really like the expression on the "It was awesome" guy, but I don't understand the expression on his face at the end - the somber one. I can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks Diego! The expression at the end is supposed to be a sarcastic look. Like a "yeah...whatever" type of change from the high energy of the "It was AWESOME" line. I'm hoping it'll contrast well.

Skyzero: Love the poses. So far so good. Only thing I would suggest is to maybe show the other guys expression in responce to "It was awsome!"

Though I do like revert back to "yeah whatever" mood the guy that got robbed goes back to. Hmm ... show both?

Thanks for the feedback J0K3R, I think that's a great idea, I'll see how that goes. Maybe something where the other guy gets excited because of how high-energy and positive sounding the "It was awesome" line is, prompting the the change of attitude to the "yeah...whatever" mood. Hmmm...

SkyZero! That is looking like it's going to be a real cool entry...

Thanks Mu!

I'm definitely looking foward to seeing everybody else's entries! There are so many people participating, this is gonna be awesome! :D

SirRon
04-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Might be a good idea to actually seperate threads now. Thanks to the plug we've got a major head count this month. Probably even more next time. Its getting kinda of hard to keep up with whats going on, and finding old posts lol. I think 3 would be good Topic, WIP, and Finals.

Topic for questions and "ooo im in!:D " posts. And well ... the rest are self explanatory.

- Just a though:)

Hmmm....

I can understand the purpose of a Topic thread for ?s and "I'm in" posts, but the WIP is going to get the most attention and I get the feeling that people will say those type of posts in the WIP too. We'll see how things go right now with the current format since this is the first time we've had huge amount of people coming in. Once we go through this we'll see what needs to change.

Thanks for the thought :)

Saihtam
04-12-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm glad to see this kind of challenge on CGtalk and I really hope to follow them as much as possible.

here is my entry.
First step, really rough blocking.

http://matanimation.blogspot.com/

the render at the end will look like that:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_HNn89qF0RjM/Rh5w-nboANI/AAAAAAAAAAM/GuVnN26N-rY/s400/shot1.jpg

C&C are welcome here or on my blog.

Thanks.

Mathias.
http://bp2.blogger.com/_HNn89qF0RjM/Rh5w-nboANI/AAAAAAAAAAM/GuVnN26N-rY/s1600-h/shot1.jpg

LGM
04-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Wow, a lot of interest since it was plugged. I am going to make it this time. Last time my website went down right at the deadline when I tried to enter, and then I was out of town, and my friend tried to post it but since it was his first post on CGtalk, it was delayed . . . my entry didn't make it before the deadline even though I did finish it.

So this time I'm keeping it short. This time I'm going to make it in (as long as my webserver holds up).

I'm kinda excited about my set, so I'm posting a shot of it so far.

http://www.nathandunlap.brickfilms.com/images/LGM_Eurotrip_Igotrobbed.jpg

LGM

derekkent
04-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Well, I'm gonna jump in and taka a stab at the dialogue clip. I'm going to use the package man guy, and play it like he is walking into work in just his underwear. I hope to start blocking out stuff this weekend, but here's some of my thumbnails mashed into photshop. (Click on the second image for a .5mb QT little animatic thingy.)

http://www.derekkent.com/xfer/Thumb001.jpghttp://www.derekkent.com/xfer/Thumb002.jpg (http://www.derekkent.com/xfer/Animatic01.mov)

Junerahe
04-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Whoohoo! Throwing my hat in the rink!
Or is it ring?

Anyway, I need to because my contract is ending sooner than expected. I've started blocking.
http://www.coperfella.com/juner/hitbyprojectile_Capture.mov

Mu
04-13-2007, 09:00 AM
derekkent - wow, what I like about your animatic is that you can clearly see how this is going to work. Very expressive poses and they already tell the story (I did not have any speakers on when I watched it, so it did the job without the sound, even)

Junerahe - hey, where did you get that Goofy model+rig? :envy: While I like the spacing on the impact, the gun he uses implies that he might get hit by a fat bullet, too and therefore I would have imagined a more severe blow, somehow. You know, having him roll around backwards, for example or flying further away.

ARGRH - you are all so far into your stuff!

diegooriani
04-13-2007, 09:48 AM
No free access to the AM rigs. Not unless you pay for the course ...or are prepared to get sued by Bobby Beck.

Well, don't get me wrong, but this rig will be available one day (if not already). Even if AM uses a specific ID for each one given to the students, someone will find a backdoor and "voila".

There is no control when the subject is resources and Internet. Do you remember Hogan's Rig? That's right, someone "rebuilt" the whole rig and placed it Online.

I am interested in that rig (like everyone) because looks good, simple and expressive. (well, from AM you couldn't expect less)

Maybe on the day that I decid between Escape and AM (keep working very hard and don't spend a penny and die from starvin), maybe I will see and play with this "dude".

Jesus, I am a bit moody this morning.

Anyway, let's hope the things keep the right track and by magic this little guy appear in some dodge sever. (Joking)

------

Does anyone tried Ollie's rig here? I heard is really good, I will try to play with it next challenge.

And keep the good work!

Junerahe,
Sugoy mate, sugoy!

sinbad
04-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, don't get me wrong, but this rig will be available one day (if not already). Even if AM uses a specific ID for each one given to the students, someone will find a backdoor and "voila".

You would be hard pressed to find an AM student/ graduate who would be willing to "leak" these rigs as we paid thousands for the course. Someone would have to steal it I suppose. The problem is if you are dumb enough to use this in your demo reel and get found out... well its career over buddy. The industry is small and everyone knows eachother. If someone is good enough to rebuild a "look alike", then why the hell not just build their own rig? I'm just warning that AM are aggressive in the defence of their intellectual property so it would be prudent to stay away from the idea. There are plenty of good free rigs in any event.

diegooriani
04-13-2007, 02:15 PM
You would be hard pressed to find an AM student/ graduate who would be willing to "leak" these rigs as we paid thousands for the course.

You have your point. I agree with you that any of the students who have paid a lot of money will post this rig in they webportfolio, but who knows in another place? Why? Why not?!

That's was the reason why I asked, "Do you know where can I have free access to this rig"?

About the demo reel mate, if you found the rig on the Internet and it doesn't have any clear agreement for the use of it, I see no problem, even if is AM's rig. "You just downloaded."

Off couse they are agressive, they want to be more rich! :D (Well, not that I think becoming a animator will make you rich, just the opposite, you'll work a hell a lot and no money at all, but for sure you will have a lot fun) Who doens't want?!

In the end mate, I need to agree with you the thing is avoid the "sharks".

I will stop with this useless discussion that "I" started, otherwise the moderators will ban me.

:sad: Here, just another "animator" frustrated with the price for education in this world. (anyway, wrong place for it) :D

"Viva La Revolucion!"

---

I will post my progress tonight.

Saihtam
04-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Well, I'm gonna jump in and taka a stab at the dialogue clip. I'm going to use the package man guy, and play it like he is walking into work in just his underwear. I hope to start blocking out stuff this weekend, but here's some of my thumbnails mashed into photshop. (Click on the second image for a .5mb QT little animatic thingy.)

Really nice start, I like how you play on the look of the rig... Looking foward to see the blocking stuff.

sinbad
04-13-2007, 03:07 PM
About the demo reel mate, if you found the rig on the Internet and it doesn't have any clear agreement for the use of it, I see no problem, even if is AM's rig. "You just downloaded."

There is a clear agreement for the use of it, its called "Copyright" and "Law". Otherwise we would all be animating with the original Stuart Little, Spiderman and Gollum rigs!

Anyway, as you say this discussion is useless. Lets got on with animating, best wishes & good luck:)

p

sinbad
04-13-2007, 03:09 PM
sorry, double post

diegooriani
04-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Do you work with character animation Paul?

Junerahe
04-14-2007, 03:10 AM
Mu - I modelled and rigged it myself. I dont understand how you think the gun he is using implies what he gets hit by.

derekkent
04-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Hey guys here's my first run at the blocking for the dialogue clip (0.6mb QT). Lemmie know whatcha think. Do my poses read ok, lines of action and stuff? I'm thinking about making the guy limp as he walks in, and also giving him a tie. Thanks

http://derekkent.com/xfer/BlockingFrame01.jpg (http://derekkent.com/xfer/Blocking01.mov)

Xing3d
04-16-2007, 05:26 AM
well here is my first animation post.. I just threw it together.

The characters I made in a couple minutes. The rig is so basic I dont know if you can call it a rig.

Its a draft and I know a guys foot goes through the ground..:rolleyes: I just found it.. thought I had taken care of that before I hit render. oh well thats why its a draft. Let me know if i can improve anything. I'm a generalist who trys to animate right now so any words of critizism will help.

1mb
http://www.apogee3d.com/awesome1comp.mov

there is a extra 5 seconds Im going to add on if i have time.

derekkent
04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Cool work Xing3d, but a couple of things stood out to me,

The step forward of the orange guy when he says 'i got robbed' seemed kind of weird. Maybe he could stand still on that line and move forward on the 'awesome line', to put more emphasis on it. Just something to try maybe.

And the lip sync on the word 'awesome' kind of stood out to me. Maybe it should be 2 shapes instead of 3, so it wouldn't pop as much. I don't know for sure, seeing as I haven't got to the lip sync yet.

Keep at it though!

liquidik
04-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok, I've started working on this piece. My free time got cut this week, but I'm confident I will finish this piece.

This is a very very rough blocking, my main concern was defining the storytelling ideas and a rough pacing of the whole. I haven't put much time (this is the effort of about an hour) into the poses, and I already see that some of them are really weak or not pushed enough.

http://www.liquidnet.it/cgtalk/blocking01.mov

Now back to work :/

Gian

kevinw
04-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Junerahe: Looks cool so far man. Can't wait to see it fleshed out a bit more.

derekkent: I don't really get what's going on there. What I mean is packageman walks up behind the chair and then what? Is he hitting it with his elbow? It looks strange because his pose doesn't really change when he nudges the chair. Why not use his hand? Also, the next pose when he steps back is really awkward. One hand on his hip and another on his head? Is he rubbing his head? I don't know... I think you should go for more natural poses and not worry so much about how extreme you can push the pose. Especially when he's just standing there. The "It was awsome" part looks good though. I think you should start off more subtle in your movements and then build up to the extreme with the last line. Lowman looks pretty good though. I think big dip as he turns around might be a bit much but it may read better when you spilne your curves. Anyway.. just my 2cents.

Xing3d: yo man, you should maybe focus more on holding some nice clean poses and not worry about floating their appendages all over. You still have a couple weeks on this. I don't know... you seem to be rushing to the finish line without knowing exactly where you're headed. The biggest problem I see so far is that the body/hips don't move up and down in the Y direction (or Z depending on your scene) It's very flat and linear. Keep at it though!

liquidik: Cool! can't wait to see more!

liquidik
04-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Yup, another little step... maaan I love bouncing balls!!!

http://www.liquidnet.it/cgtalk/blocking02.mov

Gian

Xing3d
04-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks kevinw.. and derekkent

How come things become so apparent when some else says them.
I totally agree with your comments. I really need to buy an animation technique
book so i learn the basics or i could just keep posting more animations and learn that
way.

avneriginal
04-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Hey all, I am newby to the forums and this thread was one of the first I came across. First I must say that there are some cool as animations going around. Well done people.
Also, I decided to jump in the water with all the shark AM animators and have a go at this challenge. Why not hey?

Here is my first blocking, any feedback, c&c or comments are highly appreciated.

http://www.avneriginal.com/blog/

dremer
04-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to posting here, but I figured I'd try the challenge out. Hopefully I'll have enough time to finish it. I've blocked it out, and could use whatever feedback you can give me.

andrewlewitin.com/animChlg007_v001.mov (http://andrewlewitin.com/animChlg007_v001.mov)

good luck to everyone!

LGM
04-17-2007, 04:04 AM
Phew, I finally got to the animation. I've got the main body poses blocked out. I'm pretty excited about this piece, I really want to make it look good, so if anyone sees any problems with it, I would greatly appreciate a holler.

http://www.nathandunlap.brickfilms.com/WIP/CGtalksession3/robbed_LGM_entry.avi

(1.8 megs encoded with Xvid)

Thanks for looking

LGM

Junerahe
04-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Update.
Hopefully the link (http://www.coperfella.com/juner/hitbyprojectile_Capture.mov) works.

desktopepics
04-17-2007, 05:16 AM
I'm going with a meteor hitting a character. Simple enough.

NOT! I'm stepping up my efforts signifigantly due to the talent competing in this contest ... so this one is a little involved and it's pushing me outside my limited knowledge but it's worth it!

I usually sketch out my storyboards and work from there. This time around, I plotted the course using FrameForge ... ever hear of it? It's a storyboard making program. To be honest, it sucks oh mighty high ... and I would NEVER use it for something bigger than a few seconds ... but after playing around with it for a day, I suggest anyone who really REALLY can't draw (such as myself) and you absolutely, positively need people to see what your doing ... give it a try.

Anyway, here's a link to a Flash version to the storyboards (http://www.desktopepics.com/movies/anime/wip/storyboards.htm)

FrameForge nicely makes flash version slide shows, to which you can't control the timing ... but whatever.

And here's a PDF of the same thing (http://www.desktopepics.com/movies/anime/wip/storyboards.pdf). The PDF has camera and detail instructions that i was suprised the flash version didn't place. Ah well ...

In a nutshell, it's a little ambitious ... but like I said, the talent in this month's contest got me scared (SirRon, Tyson, etc, etc) ... So I'm cracking my knuckles, rollin gup my sleeves and presenting someone hit with a projectile....

Meteor Catch - Meteor rockets through city. Some destruction. Woman catches meteor ... pushed through a couple of brick walls and slams into a final one, collapsing ... end.

Updates once a week or so.

diegooriani
04-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Guys, help me out!

Where is the option for frame count that is diplayed in the playbast? I cannot find it.

Another thing, do you guys use After Effects?

I am having serious problem with it over Windows Vista. I already install the bloody update from Adobe but nothing.

Cheers,
Diego

avneriginal
04-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I add the inbetween pass.
Let me all know what you think
www.avneriginal.com/blog (http://www.avneriginal.com/blog)
Cheers.

Saihtam
04-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Update of the blocking, I added stuffed to make it more toon and less serious.

http://matanimation.blogspot.com (http://matanimation.blogspot.com/)
C&C welcome.

diegooriani : it's a plugin, you could find some on highen3d.com and about After, I rarely use it, I use VirtualDub to put sequence of image in an Avi file, It's a free software simple and fast. hope that could help!

s3069559, I find it strange how he looks at the camera when he is saying, 'it was awesome', usually in real acting it's a big mistake for an actor to look at the camera.

AikoWorld
04-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Hey guys, first fase is finished, till up to creating the powerforce, for backing off the meteor.
What is not animated is the tail and head tentacles.

I'd love some c'n's please.

http://www.aikoworld.com/cgs/fase1.mov

Thanks!

@Saihtam I get the feeling that you can't really see what is happening between him saying nonono, and placing his hand on his chest, it seems nearly that he got shot, but if it is a scene weir he gets shot, then i suppose you have to try to pronounce it better, just my 2 cents. hope it helps :)

@s3069559, you can see that the character walking in, is just walking from the start of the edge of the screen, try animating him allready walking before you see him.
When he turns to the second char, he seems to say boooo, instead of i got robbed..
Hope it helps!

jtumlin
04-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I started a few days ago and I could use a couple of more pieces for my reel. I've more or less blocked out the projectile scene. I'll probably start the lipsync today. Good luck everyone, so far it's all looking cool.

derekkent
04-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Hereís another blocking pass for the dialogue clip animation. Iím trying to iron out my poses before going into spline territory.

kevinw Ė thanks for the comments, Iíve tried to change some of the poses, and remove some of the extremes. I got rid of him holding his head like he just got mugged, and tried to make him sulk in instead, hopefully to contrast more with the poses at the end.

(0.8mb QT)

http://www.derekkent.com/xfer/BlockingFrame02.jpg (http://www.derekkent.com/xfer/Blocking02.mov)

AikoWorld
04-19-2007, 01:39 AM
@derekkent i like it very much, no c'n'c from me, cuz it's allready very nicely done.

Here is today's update, still needs work, and havent started on expressions, tanticles, tail, and the hit by meteor scene.

http://www.aikoworld.com/cgs/fase2.mov

c'n'c would be great, thx.

LGM
04-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Here's what I've got today. I feel like it needs a bit more work, especially in the beginning when the guy falls into the chair and a bit when he says "it was awesome" at the end. I'm not really sure what to do to fix it, though. I feel almost like I've taken as far as I can, but it's not done yet, so any hints or tips would be wonderful.

http://www.nathandunlap.brickfilms.com/WIP/CGtalksession3/robbed_LGM_entry2.mov

Thanks for looking.

LGM

derekkent
04-19-2007, 04:20 AM
LGM Ė Cool clip, I like the animation of the guy looking at his watch. As for the guy flying in, I wonder what it might be like if he just sat down, and stared straight ahead, with a puzzled look or something. Then the other guy might be more concerned to start with.

Or if he does still fly in, his arms kind of stood out for me, like they need more of an arc when they flail out and then down to his lap. And maybe he needs to knock the bench back when he hits it, for more impact.

AikoWorld Ė Looks pretty cool so far, and Iím sure once the meteor comes in, it will set the piece more in context. Only crit I had was that the cat might need to do a larger take when it sees something wrong. Right now, I didnít really get the feeling of the cat reacting enough to seeing an oncoming meteor, and I had to play it a couple of times before I saw the emotion change. By the way, that batmobile in your cgportfolio is bad ass!

Itís great to see everyoneís progress, cuz it sure helps me out, with motivation and stuff!

NathanHibberdCATK
04-19-2007, 05:30 AM
This is my first entry into the animation challenges. I chose to do the sound clip, here's what I've got so far:

http://vimeo.com/clip:172871

So far it's just body movement, no facial animation yet.

diegooriani
04-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Nice Nathan.

I quite like what you done so far!

Aplblosom1
04-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone, first entry for cgsociety. I have an animation of a mime. Later there will be sounds of a crowd jeering and booing. Crit and ideas welcome! Thanks

http://www.emacanimated.com/CGSociety_April.html

AikoWorld
04-19-2007, 06:04 PM
@derekkent thx very much for the c'n'c, and for the kind words of my batmobile :)

overcontrast
04-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi there,

I couldnt stop myself doing this.... this is the first blocking... your comments would be very useful

http://www.linesmakeimages.com/imgbin/ani_wip_01.jpg

http://www.linesmakeimages.com/imgbin/euro_trip_first_block.avi

liquidik
04-19-2007, 06:49 PM
@overcontrast: that's a really nice start. staging is clear and what is happening too.

I've one general comment. everyone is coming with the same gesture (2 hands forward) for the beat "awesome" !!! Come on guys, let's explore more!

Gian

overcontrast
04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
liquidik: thanx for the comment dude... well yeah now that i saw a couple of entries i do agree with the hand in the front thingy... lets c what i can do abt it.

well i tried a different pose for that part.. to me it works alright but any suggestion would be very appriciated!

http://www.linesmakeimages.com/imgbin/ani_wip_02.jpg

http://www.linesmakeimages.com/imgbin/euro_trip_second_block.avi

liquidik
04-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, from the sound it seems pretty energic in that point, but why not trying something more closed as a pose? He's excited but at the same time he got robbed so maybe is inner instinct should be to hide that or not be so happy. It's like a bomb you want to contain, inner explosion.

Gian

PSekal
04-19-2007, 09:12 PM
ok so here is my first pass of blocking http://www.vimeo.com/clip:173237
timing still needs a little work

NathanHibberdCATK
04-20-2007, 12:11 AM
I've got facial animation on mine now, here's the updated version:

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:173350

I'm gonna take a break from it for a while and come back when I've got fresh eyes to look at it with.

avneriginal
04-20-2007, 12:55 AM
I've got facial animation on mine now, here's the updated version:

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:173350

I'm gonna take a break from it for a while and come back when I've got fresh eyes to look at it with.

Nathan,
Well done mate! The facial expressions add quite a lot to what you were trying to convey. The only c&c I can think of is exegerating the two different mood swings.

Good on ya mate.

blakboks
04-20-2007, 01:05 AM
There's some really nice stuff going on here. I hope I can participate too as soon as I get my reel "finished."

liquidik - I totally agree with what you said about the hands, and have kind of been grumbling to myself each time I see it (just because it's become cliche for this challenge). (Let me make myself clear, though, I'm not saying it's a bad decision for everyone who's used it already, it's certainly a pose that puts across the meaning the clearest.)

PSekal - After the guy turns the corner it's kind of strange to me to see the blaster held in perfect place--maybe this is something you plan on changing once you get into splines, but it never hurts to bring it up early :). Otherwise, I think it's looking pretty good.

NathanHibberdCATK (mind if I just call you Nate? :)) - Your stuff's looking nice--real fluid, no real bad poses, etc. I like the beginning of your animation in particular the way he's just kind of staring off into space kind of going over what's just happened to him, and then how his eyes dart up in a startled manner when "guy#1" starts talking. I think the face could be pushed a little further on "it was awesome," though--particularly, the eyes.

-Chris

BigMouth
04-20-2007, 01:39 AM
Here's my rough draft, nearly 1/2 way done.

The other character will be composited in, so at the moment there is only one figure in scene :P

Hope you guys enjoy it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/ParkerD/igotrobbed01.jpg (http://www.vimeo.com/clip:173398)

BigMouth
04-20-2007, 02:07 AM
I've just started blocking this one out. I'm using the audio clip from Eurotrip for mine and if I get time I'd like to try the other topic as well.

Link to quicktime (500kb) (http://www.shanerichards.com/animations/robbed_block_01.mov)

Still not sure about camera angles and timing of everything, but I'll refine that as I go. It took enough time trying to get the two characters into the one scene and all the facial controls working on both of them.

How on earth did you get 2 of those riggs in the same scene? I've been trying to do so my self and it won't allow it.

btw... Nice start!

LGM
04-20-2007, 03:47 AM
Or if he does still fly in, his arms kind of stood out for me, like they need more of an arc when they flail out and then down to his lap. And maybe he needs to knock the bench back when he hits it, for more impact.

derekkent, thanks for the advice. You're right about his arms, I had completely missed that. They're in a transition from FK to IK and there are no (or very little) arcs at that point.

And yes, I'd rather have him fly in. I probably have to tweak the timing on it, but I wanted there to be something obvious that makes the other guy ask "what happened?" And I kinda like the goofiness of him flying in. I'll see if I can make it look better before I try having him walk in.

LGM

avneriginal
04-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Here is what I have got so far. I worked on the second inbetweens pass.
Thanks for the feedback by the way.

www.avneriginal.com/blog
(http://www.avneriginal.com/blog)
I know it sounds a bit unprofessional but I had some trouble with uploading the files. Can you guys please let me know if working fine.
Thanks very much.

Gwen
04-20-2007, 07:00 AM
just found this challenge - I hope I'm up to creating something worthy in two weeks!

TripleB
04-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Sorry people i am new in here i just wander how long the animation must be, and does have to be a story or just plain tech animation. THX people

diegooriani
04-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Up to you really, but normally people just go for a scene or a sequence.

You can grab the audio and do something over it or the concept chosen and create something.

Welcome and enjoy!

Cheers,
Diego

TripleB
04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks Diego I have one more question does the animation must include facial animation or not.

SuperXCM
04-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah this challenge sounds good, I want to be in too!!
But I've got a question... It's ok if I just use rigs? No need de have a skinned mesh.. ?
To be sure....

Thanks!!

TripleB
04-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info just another question does the animation need to have face moviment or not. Is it enough to do just Body animation.

SirRon
04-20-2007, 05:26 PM
BigMouth:
Ha, I had the same idea of having the guy drink something before asking the question. He could look more surprised with his double take. Right now he looks like he's just taking two looks with no difference of reaction. So far that's really good. Keep it up.

Yeah this challenge sounds good, I want to be in too!!
But I've got a question... It's ok if I just use rigs? No need de have a skinned mesh.. ?
To be sure....

No. It can be a unlit, untextured, preview render for all we care. It's all about the animation.

Thanks for the info just another question does the animation need to have face moviment or not. Is it enough to do just Body animation.

It depends, does your idea need facial animation? If it works with just the body then great!

Everyone is doing a great job. Sorry I haven't been around, got busy with a freelance job :D

Saihtam
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
A new update, still blocking pass, I started again the begining because I got comments about the steps after the shot being weird So I change it a lot.

I will had a longer pause just after the shot around image 34

C&C welcome

http://matanimation.blogspot.com/ (http://matanimation.blogspot.com/)

@AikoWorld, Thank you for your critics, yes he got shot but lots of ppl didn't understand or they find it weird the steps after the shot so maybe with version it's a bit better... For your animation, it looks good for now. You said he was going to use its power to stop the meteor but in your movie it seems is going to use a weapon?

@Nathan, I really like your animation, nice expression and really nice moves.

@Overcontrast, I really like yours too, nice Job

diegooriani
04-22-2007, 09:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLt05JTze7k

My work in progress. I need to tweak a lot of stuff yet, hoping have the time for it.

Feedbacks please.

avneriginal
04-22-2007, 09:09 PM
G'ady Diego,

The first thing that really stood out to me is how you animated the camera. It's a little bit distracting.
One of the basix animation rules is that if your character is moving, then your camera has to remain still and vice versa.

Hope it helps.

Keep on the good work.

conquer_cq
04-23-2007, 03:12 AM
Great!I wanna join it.But I'am not animator,I will try do my best,even if no result in the end.

sphere
04-23-2007, 06:02 AM
I haven't been working on this one too much and the days seemed to have just slipped by this month. Only a couple of weeks left!

I've just refined the blocking a little more now so I wouldn't mind some feedback before I get into it -

Download link (http://www.shanerichards.com/animations/robbed_block_02.mov)

chindian
04-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Hey - i'm new to this forum... but i would like to do some of these animation challenges...

Jus to clear things up - where do we submit our finals and WIPs? In this thread?

Thanks.
Cheerio!
-T

sphere
04-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey - i'm new to this forum... but i would like to do some of these animation challenges...

Jus to clear things up - where do we submit our finals and WIPs? In this thread?

Thanks.
Cheerio!
-T

WIPs in this thread and there will be another thread started to post finals when it gets to the closing date.

magick12
04-23-2007, 08:48 AM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/magick12/th_Sequence01.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/magick12/?action=view&current=Sequence01.flv)

hi guys,
its my first time to join here. and its fun animating !

magick12
04-23-2007, 09:11 AM
thanks for the info

diegooriani
04-23-2007, 09:51 AM
s3069559,

Thank's for the feedback.

I will be doing adjustments to the cameras. But I understand what do you mean. I am doing this camera movement to add some enfase to the action. Actually I'm trying to use a mel script called shaker to make the things a bit more live.

Have you heard about it? If someone knows how to use it I will appreciate some help.

I need to work now.

Cheers,
Diego

derekkent
04-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Sphere, funny clip. I liked the facial expressions on both of the guys, especially when the guy turns his head away at the end. When the guy on the stairs looks at his watch, his head looked dislocated from his body to me. And when the guy in the underwear stands back, his hat gets cut off by the camera. Oh, and are his shorts gonna drop down instead of fading out? Anyway, great job!

jpencilworks
04-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Diego,

Man that is one action packed shot. I'm a fan of your stuff. The shot looks great to me, considering that it's still in the early stages, keep workin it doggy, you got this stuff down. I don't know anything about that script, I'm interested to hear about it though.

Sphere,

There are some realy nice poses in there, the sitting guy is working well for me. I don't think that the hat has to fall off of the standing guy, and the underwear gag seems like a cheap prank, I don't think it plays very well, maybe just have sitting guy do a quick "once over", like look the standing guy up and down real quick and then look away and throw his hands up in disgust.
Just dosn't seem like a reason the guys boxers would just fall down, nothing to cause it, they seem to fit fine. Maybe if it were some make shift cover and the guy was struggling through the whole shot to hold it up. Maybe if it were a towel or a piece of cardboard with something like "will animate for food" (Adam Green did that one) written on it, and standing guy just lifts the sign or lets it fall as part of his gesture.
I think the shot needs a stronger reason to de-pants the guy.

Cheers,

jpencilworks.

sphere
04-23-2007, 03:21 PM
I think the shot needs a stronger reason to de-pants the guy.
jpencilworks.

Haha, yeah I know. I just threw it in at the end of the voice clip today, not much thought there. Thanks for the feedback though :thumbsup:

derekkent
04-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Finally got to the spline pass on my clip. Now I'm de-sensitized from looking at it too much. Maybe some fresh eyes here can take a look and see if anything stands out? Thanks!

(2mb QT)

http://www.derekkent.com/xfer/BlockingFrame03.jpg (http://www.derekkent.com/xfer/Blocking03.mov)

jpencilworks
04-23-2007, 11:25 PM
hey Derek,

When Package man says "Awesome" he seems to recover too fast from the down position, looks like it could use 7 to 10 frames of over shoot there. The look back over the shoulder could use a little more hang time also. Looks like the feet are moving on the same key(on the inward and outward pivot), you are probably just starting to break things up a bit, right now the piece feels a little stiff.
The tie, shoulders, hips, and head seem to be moving at the same time, need some drag on that tie since its such a light object, stagger the keys on the body like you started to do on the hands.
The arms are moving in a linear fashion, need more exagerated arcs.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

jpencilworks

Luminou
04-24-2007, 09:17 AM
hi all!

I wanna join it!! hope that it is not too late to do something good...

good luck everyone!:thumbsup:

diegooriani
04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
jpencilworks,

Cheers for the coment. I hope to finish in the way that I planned. Tonight I will be tweaking a bit more.

Where is your entry by the way?

See ya,
Diego

jpencilworks
04-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Diego,

I finished the story boards, still in the blocking phase and I was having some problems with the rigs. I'm using the Tiny rig and the geometry kept deforming from the jiggle modifier on the muscles I think. Anyway, the geometry would get stuck in these wierd, contorted positions, mainly on the front of the thighs, back, and shoulders. This is the first time I've used Tiny (an awesome character by the way) and it took me a minute to find the jiggle on the muscles and turn it off. I got so frustrated I started over after about 14 hours of work.
That sort of put me behind, I did some more blocking last night, I'll post the progress soon, I'm using the Kieji character from Michael Kiessling (http://www.mk3d.com/html/main.htm?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&Lang=English&P5_Language=English) and I ran into a gimble lock problem that forced me to change the shot around. The characters feet won't rotate in world space past a certain point, so basicly I can't turn Kieji past 180 degrees. I've just been real busy with work and a couple of students I took on recently, some young kids who want to be animators (and I'm still learning that myself).

Cheers,

jpencilworks

derekkent
04-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Jpencilworks, thanks for your fresh eyes, and and for pointing out the abrupt changes in packageman. Yeah itís a constant battle between things looking too floaty and things looking too jerky. Hopefully sometime Iíll get it. At first his tie was floating all over the place, and I changed it, but now that I look at it again, it feels like itís made out of sheetmetal.

diegooriani
04-24-2007, 03:45 PM
jpencilworks,

Ahahaha, so funny. I had the same problem with the jiggles. How do you turned off? I did one by one! Could you find a way to do it all in the same time?

So funny.

It's a excellent rig indeed.

Well speak you later,
Diego

jpencilworks
04-24-2007, 04:09 PM
One by one also, maybe the builder will put in a switch on the controll panel, one of us should write to him. I'm gonna send him the animation when I'm done.

Cheers,

jpencilworks

jpencilworks
04-25-2007, 09:28 AM
hello all,

Took me a while to get this posted, been a rough go of it.

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/351/Contest_Block_01.jpg (http://www.vimeo.com/clip:176831)

I hope multiple projectiles is ok, I'm almost finished with the first pass of blocking, but this is prety much it for the shot.

Cheers,

jpencilworks

http://http://uploader.polorix.net//files/351/Contest_Block_01.jpg

diegooriani
04-25-2007, 09:40 AM
jpencilworks it is wicked!

I definetely looking foward for this one.

Well done!

Diego

Saihtam
04-25-2007, 03:01 PM
yup, very nice jpencilworks. Even if it's still the blocking pass, I already feel the intensity of the scene!
well done!

BigMouth
04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
so far, so good Jpencilworks. Keep up the great work.

I have an update on my entry. The two characters must still be composited together in After Effects. Can I ask you guys how you managed to get two of these riggs in the same scene? I didn't know it was possible due to script conflicts.

What happened to you?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/ParkerD/poop1.jpg (http://www.vimeo.com/clip:173398)

I got robbed!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/ParkerD/poop2.jpg (http://www.vimeo.com/clip:177144)

Saihtam
04-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Import the second one, Maya will change its name by adding a prefix to each object that are in the imported Rig.

oops, yup sorry, I didn't read properly.

SirRon
04-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Import the second one, Maya will change its name by adding a prefix to each object that are in the imported Rig.

Unfortunately that isn't a Maya rig. ivanisavich (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?userid=19108) would know, he's made a couple of animations that has two of those rigs in the same scene.

PSekal
04-25-2007, 11:06 PM
derekkent: a like the begining of your animation but after what hapend to you package man man right hand is weird also rotation of the head at the end needs tweaking now it looks like he was hit buy something also it would be nice to see some reaction on computer guy face after " I got robbed "

jpencilworks: i like your blocking only thing that i would change is the throw a little longer energy building and faster fly

bigMouth: it seems to me that your poses are too linear they can use some contrast

diego: i like your animation alot but this camera movement is a bit distracting introducing monster a little bit earlier whit still camera could help

sorry for my english i hope you can understand my coments

ok here is second pass of blocking

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:177187

C&C welcome

Tut
04-25-2007, 11:18 PM
hey guys, wanted to get in on this challenge but comp has been playin up! hopefully b fixed today. Gave me time to do an animatic in flash..
here --> :) http://sunhungry.com/animations/robbed_01.MOV

first guy will make sense when he looks beaten up, actions will be clumsier too. Thinking napoleon dynamite sort of character. Other guy more a james dean cool type.
The ideas aren't as clear as how I see it in my head but hopefully they are clear enough to read.
I'll comment on some of the animations when i get some time today, cheers guys.
g

blakboks
04-26-2007, 04:04 AM
hahah itsGuido

I love that you have him getting robbed again, very funny!

kevinw
04-26-2007, 04:34 AM
The two characters must still be composited together in After Effects. Can I ask you guys how you managed to get two of these riggs in the same scene? I didn't know it was possible due to script conflicts.

Download the latest file from HERE (http://www.3dluvr.com/clisk3d/)

There is a new file with 3 characters in it to get around the problem. Here's the text from a text doc in the download:

Because there are problems with merging rigs and duplicating characters, I made a file with 3 characters. Everything works fine except for IKFK Snaps on C_L_Arm_IKFK and C_R_Arm_IKFK bojects. Just don't use those snaps.

In the Layer Manager, there are two layers for characters 2 and 3. You can use that to hide/unhide characters 2 and 3.

Also, Characters 2 and 3 have a character node, so you can just double click on the node and hit "delete" to delete unwanted character. (make sure all layers are unhidden and unfrozen first, though)

This should get solve your problem.

jamesjhunt
04-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Just thought I mention that I'm working on a Maya version of the "Max" rig that today only exists on 3D Studio Max. With permission from Peter Starostin the creator of course.

If all goes well I should be finished within 2-3 weeks from now.

/James

avneriginal
04-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey guys, finally I managed to refine the spline pass of my animation. Have a look at it and tell me what you think.

www.avneriginal.com/blog (http://www.avneriginal.com/blog)

Thanks

ebotter
04-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Nice idea!!! I am student and I am still working in my finals. When is going to be the next Challenge? Let's do it for June 1st through July 1th?

Thanks

SirRon
04-26-2007, 10:07 PM
s3069559: Nice attitude walk you got there. Red Alfred stands up a little to fast I think. I guess you can have him say his line as he's standing up, that'll give you more time with the movement. And he moves rather linear and robotic while he's waiting. That head smack was funny :)

ebotter: The next challenge I'm estimating would start mid-May. Sorry, I don't think we'd be able to get it started on June 1st.

My first update.... sadly I got a bit tied up for this challenge. Hope to get this done. For some reason the clip ends 1 second too early. If you're registered to vimeo try downloading it to see the whole thing.
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:177841

BigMouth
04-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Download the latest file from HERE (http://www.3dluvr.com/clisk3d/)

There is a new file with 3 characters in it to get around the problem. Here's the text from a text doc in the download:

Because there are problems with merging rigs and duplicating characters, I made a file with 3 characters. Everything works fine except for IKFK Snaps on C_L_Arm_IKFK and C_R_Arm_IKFK bojects. Just don't use those snaps.

In the Layer Manager, there are two layers for characters 2 and 3. You can use that to hide/unhide characters 2 and 3.

Also, Characters 2 and 3 have a character node, so you can just double click on the node and hit "delete" to delete unwanted character. (make sure all layers are unhidden and unfrozen first, though)

This should get solve your problem.

thanks for the advice kevinw, and to everyone else who tried to help.

khet13
04-27-2007, 11:32 AM
jpencilworks - Nice! Just some comments, maybe at the 2nd scene you could give the character a more dynamic silhouette? Right now the body and everything seems together to me :p. More follow through for the character after the knife throw? It has to be a hard throw to flick the knife into the monster rite?:)

PSekal - I like the entry! but i think it will be nicer if the character shoots off immediately after he looks surprise?:)

itsGuido - nice animatics! I like your idea of getting rob the 2nd time but the 2nd attempt looks to me like the guy is being roughed out, no being robbed? mayb he should swipe out a knife or be at some threatening pose? Actually come to think of it, logically speaking the main character would not hv $ to give the 2nd robber after he was being robbed the 1st time rite? :eek:. hehe itz just me thinking too much hehe.

s3069559 - i cant seem to be able to reach your site. mayb your server is doing maintenance?

SirRon - Looks good! Just one comment for the last part about the hand movement when he was saying 'it was awesome' prob you could bring down the body and hands when he say the word awesome, would help to emphasize the word 'awesome' right now it looks they came down abit early?:)

well guys the comments are just my 2cents and I cant wait to see the final products :)
I will be updating the clip over the weekend, hope you all can comment on mine as well :)

avneriginal
04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
khet13 - Hey mate, here is the link again. It's working for me.

http://www.avneriginal.com/blog/

Thanks for letting me know.

Ramteen
04-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey folks. I`m back, here it is what I`v done .check out and let me know what you think .

Please pay attnetion that on the right side of the view, we`ll be seeing a snake hanged up, looking at Mooms and trying to scare him. and suddenly the snake heats Mooms face with its tail and as Moom doesn`t expect that, he escapes!

I`ll definitely upload the animting progress of Snake aswell. I`m currently working on it.

So I`ll really be looking forward to your comments and point of views ;) keep sketching guys;)

Click on the image to see the Clip (YouTube) :

http://www.picturepuppy.com/images/ramtin/p2pthumb.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clCmj0z3xIM)

Chodo
04-28-2007, 03:03 AM
Hey guys what's up. I worked on this for a few days to test out the rig and saw this contest. thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

http://frandler.googlepages.com/hitball.mov

Not totally finished but I might not have time to go back into it before the contest ends. Let me know what you think!!!

derekkent
04-28-2007, 03:15 AM
Chodo - oh man that's an awesome clip. very funny. that expression on the boy when he gets hit in the nuts, with the trembling lip is priceless. great clip, and definitely an inspiration!

SirRon
04-28-2007, 04:40 AM
Chodo: Awesome indeed. I think the trembling lip could be a bit faster/intense.

Ramtin: Progress is looking great, I'd definitely like to see how it looks with the snake.

And here's my progress. Bit more breakdowns on the first shot. Changed the timing of the 'awesome' pose after reading khet13's comment (thanks for the reminder on the emphasizing motion for 'awesome'). It's STILL getting cut off on the streaming vid. I'll add a bunch more frames after to see if it'll still happen next time.

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:178641

khet13
04-28-2007, 07:34 AM
s3069559 - No prob dude. it works now :). I think you could add subtle anticipation for the other actions like b4 he turns and for the red shirt guy b4 he slaps the other guy?:)

Ramtin - I like the expression of your character :thumbsup: I think you could raise his hands to 'fend' off the snake? for my normal reaction would be to raise my hands to protect my face(dang....im so vain hehe)

Chodo - i think my comp has some problems viewing your clip....it only allows me to view the part where he throw the base ball up...will try again another time :). just a comment, you could close the eyelid when the eyeball looks at another direction?

SirRon - No prob. It looks much better now.:) I managed to view the last part, you need to drag the timeline to the end and you will be able to view the last part but it wun play till the end...

Keep going guys! :D
Now for my contribution http://www.khet13.com/web/animation/clips/juggling.mov
any comments will be helpful. thanks!

Ramteen
04-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Hey Chodo. that`s great man. made me luaugh :))and great style ;) keep up ;)

Siron, unfortunately I`m not able to access any vimeo kinds and I dont know what`s the problem :( but anyhow I`m sure that you`v done some great job keep moving man ;)

khet13 ,I`v gotta thank you because of your great suggestion. Actually I`m gonna try to find a way to make it work.I wish it does ;) the idea is awesome :D

keep working guys :D

PSekal
04-28-2007, 09:35 AM
chodo : man thats looks great i love your entry

sirron: this of balance walk didn't work for me he looks more drunk then beaten

ramtin looks good for now

khent: thanks for comment , i will see what i can do in your clip the guy walks in kinda strange the legs are to bend and when he kicks the ball it would be nice if he jumps up a little

SirRon
04-28-2007, 05:32 PM
PSekal: That's the first thing I thought of when I blocked it out. Too of balanced maybe?

kevinw
04-29-2007, 03:23 AM
chodo: That looks really great. Love the character. My only critique is that there seems to be some "cg stick" on the feet. I think adding a few small steps or VERY SUBTLE foot slides here and there would really help.

Ramtin: Great poses and timing ... can't wait to see the final

SirRon: I think he does look too off balance. Maybe tone down his poses a bit and build up to the more broad action at the end. There's more energy in the last line and if you blow your wad in the beginning.. you won't get the same payoff at the end.

PSekal
04-29-2007, 03:06 PM
sirRon tone down poses will look much better in my opinion

here is first spline pass c&c welcome
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:178790

AikoWorld
04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, got a new update on the animation, c'n'c's are welcome!

http://www.aikoworld.com/cgs/fase5.mov

Next up making some backgrounds. And tweaking the animation.

diegooriani
04-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Ow,

Good work guys! :applause:

By the way, I will start to clean my curves. Does anyone have some tips for it? Maybe a plug-in which helps the workflow or some simple tip that make a huge diference for the process?

I am trying to improve over here.

Where do you guys start? Hips?

See you,
Cheers

ajcgi
04-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Been looking for a challenge like this for ages, yet somehow never thought of wondering into this part of the forum to find it! Gah! Right I reckon I'll try the soundbite out for size.

kevinw
04-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Ow,

Good work guys! :applause:

By the way, I will start to clean my curves. Does anyone have some tips for it? Maybe a plug-in which helps the workflow or some simple tip that make a huge diference for the process?

I am trying to improve over here.

Where do you guys start? Hips?

See you,
Cheers

Unfortunately there's no "Make good animation" plugin :)

For workflow I set my top left viewport to a perp view and the top right to the camera. This way I have one window to move around in and one to ALWAYS see what it looks like from the camera.

Then I pull my curve editor over the bottom two windows. Then I have everything right in front of me. Also..I have the dope sheet window layered below the curve editor.. but if your cleaning curves you should be beyond the need for the dope sheet.

My best advice would be to start with the hips and work your way up to the head. Then go to the feet. (sometimes I cleanup the feet right after the hips.. depends on how much the character moves around) Then do the arms, hands, finger and facial.

Victor Navone posted a great 2 part tutorial on splines and cleanup. Worth reading for sure!

Part 1 (http://www.navone.org/HTML/Tutorial_Splines1.htm)
Part 2 (http://www.navone.org/HTML/Tutorial_Splines2.htm)

Good luck man.. just take it one curve at a time :thumbsup:

Frumsylgu
04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
This is just the first of 3 shots, the animation will probably be 10 - 12 seconds in all. http://www.direentech.com/jdgraphics/blog/JDBlog.html (http://www.direentech.com/jdgraphics/blog/JDBlog.html)

I need to move on to the other shots if i'm going to finish it in time, but go ahead and critique the hell out of it, as I might be able to get back to it later.

chellescreations
04-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Hey guys, got a new update on the animation, c'n'c's are welcome!

http://www.aikoworld.com/cgs/fase5.mov

Next up making some backgrounds. And tweaking the animation.

This is kind of a minor thing but it was really distracting to me. You broke the 180 rule when you jump to the over the shoulder shot of the alien and the meteor. I just had trouble grasping where everything was in space the first time I watched it.

I'm trying to participate this month...but I'm making no promises. Hopefully I'll get something done though.

AikoWorld
04-30-2007, 11:21 PM
This is kind of a minor thing but it was really distracting to me. You broke the 180 rule when you jump to the over the shoulder shot of the alien and the meteor. I just had trouble grasping where everything was in space the first time I watched it.

I'm trying to participate this month...but I'm making no promises. Hopefully I'll get something done though.

Thanks man, i never known of the 180 degree rule, as i never known about it, it was pritty funny to try and understand your comments :)

So i googled and found the explenation.

Thx very much and i'll apply the 180 degree rule.

chellescreations
04-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks man, i never known of the 180 degree rule, as i never known about it, it was pritty funny to try and understand your comments :)

So i googled and found the explenation.

Thx very much and i'll apply the 180 degree rule.

Oh...sorry. When you get it beat into your head so often in school, I guess you just assume everyone knows what it is.

AikoWorld
04-30-2007, 11:54 PM
No problemo man, i realy appreciat your comments, it's always great to learn new things.

:thumbsup:

avneriginal
05-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where are we suppose to submit our final animations for the challenge?

Cheers

avneriginal
05-02-2007, 04:54 AM
Below is a link to an animation I did about a month ago. It's about a golfer who gets hit by a golf ball.
I thought it might fall into the projectile category.
Take a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.avneriginal.com/blog/?cat=9
(http://www.avneriginal.com/blog/?cat=9)

Any c&c is welcome.

Cheers

madheavy
05-02-2007, 06:03 AM
Below is a link to an animation I did about a month ago. It's about a golfer who gets hit by a golf ball.

Any c&c is welcome.

Cheers

I like it! Looks very believable. However his right hand seems to be positioned too high. Maybe you could shorten the golf club. That may help. BTW: Your animation isn't all CG smooth. It looks a little like clay animation. How did you do that?

The Funimator
05-02-2007, 03:02 PM
errm... i'm sorry, just out of curiosity. I'm wondering if there's a slight chance that the deadline could be postponed for few more days, like ard 12 apr? hahaa.... i would like to finish off my half-way animation but i'm stucked with something else in this week n thinking that i might need little bit more time to fully complete..... if possible.. hehee... but of cors, no obligation. I'm just wondering if it's possible only. It's ok if it's not possible. :) Thanks for your attention.

SirRon
05-03-2007, 03:08 AM
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where are we suppose to submit our final animations for the challenge?

Cheers

Uh oh, people are starting to ask about the deadline now ;) Actually it is a good time to start the final submission thread.

errm... i'm sorry, just out of curiosity. I'm wondering if there's a slight chance that the deadline could be postponed for few more days, like ard 12 apr? hahaa.... i would like to finish off my half-way animation but i'm stucked with something else in this week n thinking that i might need little bit more time to fully complete..... if possible.. hehee... but of cors, no obligation. I'm just wondering if it's possible only. It's ok if it's not possible. :) Thanks for your attention.

I'm with you on making it a bit longer but.... I have not heard an overwhelming cry for extension. So the deadline still stands.

Last day to submit is May 7th 11:59PM.

So if it's May 8th on your calendar where you are are in the world then it's too late.... but I would hate to stop you from sharing what you have worked on. So if you finish after the deadline then you can share it if you would like, but please don't put it in the final submission thread.

5 days left

khet13
05-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Frumsylgu - i think more anticipation for the the penguin lifting up the snow ball would be better. give the snowball some weight?

avneriginal - you can try give the character's body more twist when he swings the club back and slow down the swing down on the 1st swing, itz suppose to be a test swing rite? :) oh and you can make the ball faster then the impact would be greater.

The Funimator - a few more sleepless nights would solve the problem:D

well, updated my clip as well, here is the clip (http://www.khet13.com/web/animation/clips/juggle2.mov)
comments would be appreciated :scream:

Chodo
05-03-2007, 04:16 AM
Hey guys thanks for the comments. Wish i had time before the deadline to apply some of the suggestions but I don't think it's gonna happen. But thanks!!! Thought I'd give a couple suggestions.

avneriginal: If someone said this and I'm repeating then sorry but the biggest thing I noticed is that his hands are backwards. His right hand should be below his left hand. Some people putt like that but you can't take a full swing like that. Also try to find some videos of golf swings and watch how the motion starts with the hips. They lead the body and hands back on the backswing and then lead the body again on the downswing and end in an open position. It'll make your animation look more powerful and more importantly more natural. ALso the ball could move a bit quicker coming off the club. but I love the butt wiggle and the setup sequence. Great job so far.

khet13: Really like it so far. I'd personally like to see more snap on the kick. I'd plant that right foot quicker hold that pose right before he kicks a split second then really snap that leg through. Also his spine could be arched more backwards on the anticipation and then forward once he kicks. Also looking really good so far.

Can't wait to see the finals guys! Keep it up!

mohman
05-03-2007, 10:10 AM
FINALLY SOME COMPETITIONS!!!

MAN ive been looking EVERYWERE for some animation COMpetition....since the 10 second club went down...!!

alirght...ive only got 4 days...but ill see what i can pull off for you guys... GOOD LUCK everyone!!!

PixelDroid
05-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I just discovered this. Looks cool!
What time is the deadline on Monday?
Thanks a lot.
M

liquidik
05-03-2007, 04:42 PM
late late late. I'm terribly late, but I'll try hard to finish this piece for the deadline.

Anyway, I've reblocked the whole piece.

http://www.liquidnet.it/cgtalk/reblock.mov

Let me know what you think.

Gian

ajcgi
05-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I like it. Torment by balls. Pace seems good so far.

Right, here's what I'm up to:
I'm doing the 2nd option with the soundbite! Spent less time on it that I'd like so far and might only have tomorrow left free to me to work on this which kinda sucks, but I can see things to improve. (lots of them) It'll be a busy Friday. :S
Click here for the quicktime (http://www.ajcgi.co.uk/xs/robbed_wip1.mov)

PSekal
05-03-2007, 09:35 PM
liquidik: looking good the only think thats bothers me is the red ball its not clear wheter its hiting him it the hand or hiting the ball behind him at least for me :P

ok i changed a my animation a little as the last one was a bit too complicated
hope this one reads better c&c welcome as always
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:182613

Mu
05-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I am a stupid, stupid man!

I got caught up with so many other things to do (being lazy, and then I was busy procrastinating and all...) and now I'm kind of in a hurry...:D

But I did not want to let the chance pass by to do my first animation ever so I started this night with my pencil tests. What I am going to do is I will have a character walking leisurely and then he gets hit by a swinging anvil on a rope... don't ask... I wish I could say there's a story behind it...lol...

Gosh, I gotta learn how to set up a decent schedule for things. Would have loved to participate more and earlier - so rather next time. Main goal for now is to hand something in within deadline.

here's what I put together. I will try to make the character loop along the monitor for a little longer and then erm.... let the action set in... somehow

http://www.muratkayi.de/downloads/cycle002.gif (http://www.muratkayi.de/downloads/cycle1.mov)

SirRon
05-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Final submission thread has started!

Submit your final animation here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=492400)

I just discovered this. Looks cool!
What time is the deadline on Monday?
Thanks a lot.
M

Last day to submit is May 7th 11:59PM your time.

Dresse
05-04-2007, 08:31 AM

Any c&c is welcome.

Cheers

i would exagerate the poses more... bend his spine more when he anticipates his swing, and i would bend the spine more when he has done his swing...

ajcgi
05-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Right, here's an update:
http://www.ajcgi.co.uk/xs/robbed_wip2.mov
and a rendered version:
http://www.ajcgi.co.uk/xs/robbed_wip2rendered.mov

MoutMout
05-04-2007, 10:30 PM
You all guys do amazing work...animations are very good!!!

So sad.....I can't finish my cause i'm working on my school project and have enough animation to do.

I'll wait for the result and i say it again, it's a very good challenge here!! :thumbsup:

liquidik
05-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Yup! New update. Still got to work on the balls and some breakdowns.

http://www.liquidnet.it/cgtalk/reblock2.mov

Gian

LGM
05-05-2007, 12:04 AM
That's really cool, liquidk. I love the timing on it.

I finally got around to updating my animation. It's all rendered in case I don't find time to work on it anymore before the deadline.

http://www.nathandunlap.brickfilms.com/WIP/CGtalksession3/robbed_LGM_entry.mov

LGM

olson
05-07-2007, 03:11 AM
This is my first animation in Maya with characters and voices. Somewhere in the blocking stage at the moment. Thanks for any input!

http://www.whenpicsfly.com/tool/animation2.avi

Luke

jerry123
05-07-2007, 12:26 PM
i have also decided to try this one,since im lazy and never do anything,
ive decided to do both..
so this one is the sound clip:
http://www.geocities.com/storage000012004/039.zip
http://www.geocities.com/storage000012003/039.zip
http://www.geocities.com/jerry000012003/039.zip
these are all the same file but in different locations

im not very pleased with it,came out pretty lame,so i didnt
post it under the finished ones,it also has problems with
the camera,i wanted it in a very closed frame,so it doesn't
work very well now but i dont have any better idea for the
camera.

the second one i havent finished,it has a kind of a storyboard
and half finished animation(with which im not very pleased either)
and its in the attached file..hopefully ill manage to finish it
in a couple of days.

shrieker232
05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Got Robbed animation with Generi Rig in Maya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_dDUsDHqY8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_dDUsDHqY8)

Lovely vista manageed to break my movie into two pieces. They are supposted to be together on the same frame.
:D

shrieker232
05-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Go Vista! I love it when things don't work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_tKYDbch9A

Something managed to break my frame into two pieces. They are supposted to be in a conversation. Sorry about this guys!

SirRon
05-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Just want to announce it again...

Submit your final animation here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=492400)

Last day to submit is May 7th 11:59PM your time.

KreosMedia
05-08-2007, 05:49 AM
http://matthew.robertbuffum.com/3d/blocking_23.avi

My third time through making this scene. Generi exploded on me twice after blocking and lip synching. :sad: I don't have a finished animation yet, and I won't by the deadline, but I'll post a link to the finished one tomorrow when I have a chance to get to the Maya lab at school.

EDIT: Owned again. Maya crashes right after it loads the referenced Generi files. I've got to start over with one of the older versions I saved. :argh:

SirRon
05-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Voting for Finished Animations has started. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=493787)

KreosMedia:
Doh... sorry to hear man :(

diegooriani
05-08-2007, 11:33 PM
****... my calendar was wrong. So stupid.

G1toons
05-10-2007, 04:32 PM
when is the next one?

SirRon
05-10-2007, 10:05 PM
when is the next one?
Either the 16th or 17th... this period of time is to let the other animators rest a bit, gather their thoughts about their animation and workflow, voting for the best animations, and suggesting additional animation ideas in the voting thread.

****... my calendar was wrong. So stupid.
I put you on the finished animation list, though you might've lost some votes for coming in on the 8th instead of the 7th :)

blakboks
05-11-2007, 04:49 AM
I know it's much too late to enter the challenge, but since I began the animation for this challenge I thought I'd direct anyone who's interested here to my thread in the WIP section.

Please feel free to criticize and comment:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4381186#post4381186

Thanks,
Chris

SirRon
05-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Challenge #8 is starting to form. Vote for what the non-audio topic is going to be.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4382161#post4382161

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2007, 06:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.