PDA

View Full Version : Voltage discrepancy

Gilgamesh
03-09-2003, 02:52 AM
I just installed some hardware monitoring program, and it is saying that my 12 volts is out of it's threshhold, running at 13.3 volts. Should I be worried?

elvis
03-09-2003, 04:22 AM
that does sound a little high. typically +/- 0.5V is common, but that's a fair bit out.

check with some other software, and in the BIOS itself for readings. there are three possibilities: the first that your monitoring software is mis-reading the information, the second that the board is mis-reporting the information to the software, and the third that the lin is actually out by 1.3V.

check your board has the latest BIOS update also, as sometimes manufacturers become aware of these faults and will fix them in BIOS.

Gilgamesh
03-09-2003, 06:12 AM
If it isn't misreading, how can I fix this, and what kind of problems can it cause?

raz-0
03-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Try a different power supply if you can, you can't really fix the PSU , but you can see if it is bad. If it is the power regulation on the motherboard itself, I doubt you can fix it without replacement either. You could try contacting support for the motherboard manufacturer or PSU manufacturer to try and get some help fixing it.

I assume you checked the bios. Software pc health monitors cn report skewed results that are off by a bit because of motherboard variations and whatnot.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.