PDA

View Full Version : FR ST2 SP2 and Displacement

naskoo
04-07-2007, 12:35 PM
So I'm tring to make a very fluffy rug with displacement. The problem is that my cinema quits when I set up any displacement. Any ideas? I already read more about dislacement with FR and I'm setting all the settings like in tutorials.

Nasko

EDIT

any advices for setting up displacement and any basic princips are welcome.

LemonNado
04-07-2007, 01:05 PM
The displacement tut in the FR documentation doesn't work for me as well. You have to set the values much much higher. Then, depending on the detail, it tends to crash a lot when memory becomes sparse. I only work with the Task Manager open and an eye on the memory consumption.
Good luck!
Rainer

fluffouille
04-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Displacement in FR has a lot of issues, but doesn't lead to crashes from my experience. Are you sure you are not using insane values?
You can follow the simple tutorial I made for Cebas, here : http://www.cebas.com/news/read.php?UD=10-7888-33-788&NID=152

The golden rule is to always start with the lowest settings, then increase gradually (if you have crashes, that is).
If you really need details and it still crashes for you, try the Dynamic Memory Pager settings, instead of Scene Pager.

stevester1
04-07-2007, 02:14 PM
In FR2, what's the difference between pluging a noise shader into the material's normal input and pluging that same noise shader into the undefined field renamed to Displacement?

fluffouille
04-07-2007, 02:30 PM
The normal input is used for bump and normal maps, the displacement output is used when you need to actually deform the mesh using a displacement map (or shader).
The first one doesn't deform the mesh.

Ernest Burden
04-07-2007, 04:36 PM
The normal input is used for bump and normal maps, the displacement output is used when you need to actually deform the mesh using a displacement map (or shader).
The first one doesn't deform the mesh.

Meaning it keeps the edges in place? Displacement by definition would alter a mesh.

I just wish Cebas would make FR2 read the displacement channel from a regular C4D material, because as it is, I have to completely re-create the material in FR if I want to use disp.

fluffouille
04-07-2007, 04:44 PM
No, I just said that displacement would deform the mesh.
if you use the "Normals" input, it will only be used for bump or normal maps.
I hope it's clearer.

Ernest Burden
04-07-2007, 07:05 PM
I hope it's clearer.

Yes, thank you.

naskoo
04-09-2007, 07:36 AM
thx for the help guys. I'm making just the same as in the fluffouille tutoial with another texture for displacement. I think that it realy depends a lot from the texture. When you use displacemet for a single flower or something like in tutorial, the poligons are not so many. But when you try to make somethink more complicated- grass, fluffy rugs, etc. the poligons that are generated are too many and in my case my 2Gigs of ram are not enought... So I'll try some other tests and will see ...

thx
Nasko

fluffouille
04-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, it works fine on a regular use too. Have a look at this image, it uses MTD (displacement) on the whole stone wall : http://www.frenchcinema4d.fr/v3/articles/446/gal2/3/3651.jpg

Of course, you need to find a good balance when using displacement, between details and amount of subdivision/memory used.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2007, 11:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.