PDA

View Full Version : More Fragmentation Methods

charleyc
04-07-2007, 12:44 AM
I know there have been a number of these posted, but here is a couple that that seem to work well.

One method generates fragments by VolumeSelect and the other by Boolean.
Here is a tutorial on the Boolean method;
www.charleycarlat.com/Tutorials/Tut_BoolFrag.wmv (http://www.charleycarlat.com/Tutorials/Tut_BoolFrag.wmv)
Both methods are basically identical and vary only in which script you use to fragment.

Also, the fragmentation scripts are here
www.charleycarlat.com/MaxScripts/FragScripts.zip (http://www.charleycarlat.com/MaxScripts/FragScripts.zip)

I hope you guys can find them useful.

SoLiTuDe
04-07-2007, 01:27 AM
good job! I had done something similar, but the script looks like it'll make life quite a bit quicker. :) Thanks!

jigu
04-07-2007, 05:29 AM
hi,

second link isn't working for me! i would ike to try this method!

charleyc
04-07-2007, 05:50 AM
Oops, sorry about that. Fixed it. Thanks guys.

jigu
04-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the script. i tried and it worked out gr8. very usefull! :thumbsup:

Another trick is to do it without script is to use "Parray" and "snapshots".
Using Parray to make chunks/fragements over the object. then taking snapshot to convert it to editable mesh and then explode all elements to objects.but it doesn't make volume as i got in the script..

PsychoSilence
04-07-2007, 02:44 PM
very nice work! iŽll definitly give this a try :)

kind regards

anselm

charleyc
04-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the script. i tried and it worked out gr8. very usefull! :thumbsup:

Another trick is to do it without script is to use "Parray" and "snapshots".
Using Parray to make chunks/fragements over the object. then taking snapshot to convert it to editable mesh and then explode all elements to objects.but it doesn't make volume as i got in the script..

Glad you like it.

The biggest difference between this and PArray is that you can define the shape of the chucks. And when mixed with Box3, you can really get some good results. I will post a few examples of that when I get a chance.

JohnnyRandom
04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
mmmnn fragments, thanks:)

BrandonD
04-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Very nice indeed. I did something similar a few years ago, but it was too tedious as a general method for fragments. Like most things, the techniques are like a tool and there rarely is one universal method best for all situations. Sometimes I can get away with a simple technique, others a more accurate and complex technique, it really depends on many factors.

Wicked
04-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Very nice method indeed. Nice job! :)

zglows
04-14-2007, 12:22 AM
thanks for posting this, i like it a lot

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2007, 12:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.