PDA

View Full Version : A couple newb questions...

sinistar
04-06-2007, 11:04 PM
System specs:
XPS M1710
Ram - 1GB
CPU: Dual Core 2.4 ghz
Vid: Geforce GTX 7900

I'm just getting into Mudbox and I have tried to bring my entire character in. Is that a nono? I tried to smooth the entire character 3 times and it crashed. My character is about 5000 polygons. Should I maybe just work on one piece at a time and mask the rest out? I intend on using a displacement map in the end to render it in Maya so maybe I could even just bring seperate pieces in maybe just bring the head in to start?

Also if I smooth it 4 times is the general workflow to do whatever tweaks possible at eas subdivision level and then progressively add more detail?

Thanks! I'm just trying to get a feel for this high res modeling so any information added would be appreciated.

sinistar
04-07-2007, 10:57 AM
another thing... When I create my selection sets in Maya. I've seen in tutorials that Shift-D is supposed to smooth only the selected area but on my model it smooths the entire model.. I don't get that green deselected areaa...... anyone know why?

perham3d
04-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Also if I smooth it 4 times is the general workflow to do whatever tweaks possible at eas subdivision level and then progressively add more detail?

yes.thats one of the main principles of sculpting.do as much as you can at low-res.the best tip i can give you is to read the help and documentation.they are there for you to learn it.

BRUTICUS
04-08-2007, 09:54 PM
good to hear, thats what i've been doing as well...

sinistar
04-09-2007, 12:33 AM
yes.thats one of the main principles of sculpting.do as much as you can at low-res.the best tip i can give you is to read the help and documentation.they are there for you to learn it.

thank you man, wanted to hear from someone else to make sure i'm on the right path :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2007, 12:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.