PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro - 7300 or X1900 for C4D - Opinions please!

kromekat
04-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I have ordered my new 8-core Mac Pro, and I took the stock 7300GT despite orignially planning to get the X1900, but I am still wondering if it was the right choice, and since it's the Easter weekend, I have time to reconsider and amend if necessary!

I have heard that some people have some issues with the ATI card with OGL in C4D, but I wonder how the 7300 compares anyway?

Does anybody have either card working fine with the advanced OGL settings?

Which card performs better with other apps like After Effects?

The CB scores are somewhat higher for the 7300GT, but given the higher specs of the X1900, is it just lesser drivers that are holding the ATI back over the NVidia?

Any thoughts and experiences appreciated!

Cheers
Adam

hundredthirtyseven
04-07-2007, 10:14 AM
One thing to note is that Nvidia cards don't really support 2-monitor hardware accellaration. You have 3 options in the setup, but none works fine. Either it's slow as hell or doesen't work at all. I guess it is because it's one of the special features of Quadro cards, so they had to disable it for Geforce cards.
I had no problem with any Ati card (worked with 1600XT and 1950XT), the key here is to use very old drivers like the 6.2 or 6.5.
On the other hand, with the 7300 GT I get 5500 CB which is better than most of the cards do, including the very expensive ones.

Shademaster
04-07-2007, 10:46 AM
One thing to note is that Nvidia cards don't really support 2-monitor hardware accellaration. You have 3 options in the setup, but none works fine. Either it's slow as hell or doesen't work at all. I guess it is because it's one of the special features of Quadro cards, so they had to disable it for Geforce cards.
I had no problem with any Ati card (worked with 1600XT and 1950XT), the key here is to use very old drivers like the 6.2 or 6.5.
On the other hand, with the 7300 GT I get 5500 CB which is better than most of the cards do, including the very expensive ones.

Hm my dual monitor support is awesome. Full screen cinema4d (still using 9.6) editting on 2 screens is no problem at all, even at high poly counts. I do not know what you consider slow since our conception of fast might be different?

I am on a MacPro Quad 2,66ghz. 4gbRAM, latest OSX, Geforce 7300GT and 2x23 inch Monitors running at 1920x1200. Never had the idea working on 2 monitors was slower than working on 1.

My bet would be either a quadro if you have the funds, or a geforce 7300gt (or maybe 2 if you are going for a 30'' monitor combo).

kromekat
04-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey guys - thanks for your thoughts!

I will be running a pair of 23" Apple Cinema screens on this rig. I had already opted for 2 NVidia 7300GT, as although I know there is no 'crosstalk', or additional speedup, I figured having a screen on each with 256mb had to be better than both on one - but I don't know the 'scientific facts' on that! :)

I didn't know that there was any dual monitor acceleration on the OSX side anyway!? - This is to be used using Mac software, not Windows if that is a major factor on the choice.

Adam

Shademaster
04-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Hey guys - thanks for your thoughts!

I will be running a pair of 23" Apple Cinema screens on this rig. I had already opted for 2 NVidia 7300GT, as although I know there is no 'crosstalk', or additional speedup, I figured having a screen on each with 256mb had to be better than both on one - but I don't know the 'scientific facts' on that! :)

I didn't know that there was any dual monitor acceleration on the OSX side anyway!? - This is to be used using Mac software, not Windows if that is a major factor on the choice.

Adam

Well let's just say I am having a really hard time bringing the machine to it's knees :D. The dual monitor support feels as if you were using 1 monitor divided into 2, no problem at all. Playing a 720p uncompressed movie file is no problem at all, even while dragging the window from monitor to monitor, you can even stretch it over 2 monitors and no anomalies happen. I find myself very often using Cinema (on dual monitors), rendering something out in the picture viewer, putting together the rendered material in After effects and playing the movie I just rendered uncompressed in a quicktime window. Maybe then the movie starts to stutter a little bit :D. It's pure bliss man! Even going back to my dual 2,4ghz xeon pc at home feels like being set back to the stone age.

Good luck with your friggin 8 core man! It is going to kick balls having a machine 10 times faster than something we considered fast 4 years ago :).

Rabbitroo
04-07-2007, 03:44 PM
On my MacPro Quad 3.0 I'm using the X1900 with dual 23" displays and have been real happy. I have and FX4500 in a quad G5 and though the speed has been great, the stability has put me off a bit.

YMMV.
-K

kromekat
04-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Can either/both the 7300 and X1900 run the advanced OpenGL functions withing Cinema under OSX?

Cheers
Adam

Kuroyume0161
04-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Adam, I'd think that either will do here. My iMac G5 only has a lowly ATI Radeon X1600 and R10(.1) allows and uses Enhanced OpenGL. Same should definitely go for the NVidia.

I want a pic of this puppy when you get it - after you've finished making sweet love to it. ;)

Take care,
Robert

Jorge Arango
04-07-2007, 05:56 PM
...- after you've finished making sweet love to it. ;)

Robert

and publish your cinebench results...

Jorge Arango

ooo
04-07-2007, 08:21 PM
and publish your cinebench results...
Jorge Arango

No please don't! It will make my G5's look pathetic :argh:

It's in my brain now: I will upgrade today :) No, I will wait a bit :-( I will upgrade today :) No, I will wait a bit :-( I will upgrade today :) No, I will wait a bit :-( I will upgrade today :) No, I will wait a bit :-(

Newstream
04-07-2007, 08:43 PM
The Cinebench score that I'm curious to see some day (hopefully in the not too distant future) is how an eight-core MacPro performs under a Leopard-64bit optimized version of C4D... that's if there will ever exist such a version.

Srek
04-08-2007, 07:34 AM
The Cinebench score that I'm curious to see some day (hopefully in the not too distant future) is how an eight-core MacPro performs under a Leopard-64bit optimized version of C4D... that's if there will ever exist such a version.
Chances are high it will perform similar to the Windows side of things, except maybe that the speed difference between the two is even smaller.
This is just speculation though, since the development tools for 64 bit development on Leobard are not yet nearly production ready.

Cheers
Björn

ThePriest
04-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Just when I thought my Quad core was as good as I could get.
I wonder, does the Windows XP emulation play well on a Mac?

Per-Anders
04-08-2007, 08:00 AM
There is no emulation, it just works the same as it does on a PC, a Mac is a PC these days, with a few extra bits and a different default OS.

ThePriest
04-08-2007, 08:35 AM
There is no emulation, it just works the same as it does on a PC, a Mac is a PC these days, with a few extra bits and a different default OS.

That's interesting, could you in that case pop in a 8800gtx and do all things Windows based without limitation?

Srek
04-08-2007, 08:49 AM
That's interesting, could you in that case pop in a 8800gtx and do all things Windows based without limitation?
Chances are slim, you need cards that support the mac specificaly. Due to the differences between Mac and PC Hardware (BIOS / EFI) you can't simply swap cards.
Cheers
Björn

Per-Anders
04-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Well the Mac graphics cards will work fine with the windows side of things, just as normal, i.e. doing all things windows based without limitation anyway. But in actual fact you should also be able to put in a normal non-mac specific PCIe card in one of the extra PCIe slots, I know at least one person that has done this succesfully, but that doesn't of course mean it will work for everyone and every combination, it definitely wont work under OSX but it should work under windows.

ThePriest
04-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Is very tempting, but could be a considerable investment that may not go as planned.
Per: The dude that pulled this PCIe stunt, he's not a CGTalk user is he?

GruvDOne
04-09-2007, 03:36 AM

Yes indeed ;)

kromekat
04-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Still curious as to whether the advanced OpenGL can be used successfully on either card!?

Adam

williamsburroughs
04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Still curious as to whether the advanced OpenGL can be used successfully on either card!?

Adam

I have a 7300 and it works.

Simon Wicker
04-10-2007, 09:15 AM
a card would have to be pretty old to not support the extended opengl (for instance my X800 in my dual G5 has everything you need for E-OGL and that is from a couple of years ago now).

cheers, simon w.

zoetropeuk
04-10-2007, 09:39 AM

Adam

I have both an X1900 and 7300 in my Mac Pro and although you can switch on EOGL it simply does not work as advertised. I've watch the demo videos and tried out all the options and in the end I just switched it off.

I've also tried both cards seperately and I have the same issues.

Matt

Simon Wicker
04-10-2007, 09:45 AM
if it doesn't work as advertised then that would be a bug which you report to maxon and it gets fixed when they do a point upgrade.

i've had several problems with E-OGL which i reported to maxon that have now been fixed for 10.1, i would recommend you do the same.

cheers, simon w.

kromekat
04-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I have both an X1900 and 7300 in my Mac Pro and although you can switch on EOGL it simply does not work as advertised. I've watch the demo videos and tried out all the options and in the end I just switched it off.

Matt

Do you see any advantage over one card or the other in general usage?

Adam

Srek
04-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Matt
Please make sure that only one and only the latest CG Toolkit is installed.
CG Toolkit can be instlale din different locations and might not be easily found. If you have a to old version installed the EOGL features might not work.
What info is found in the Open GL Capabilities window?

Cheers
Björn

mustardseed
04-10-2007, 10:51 AM
All this talk has got me interested to upgrade the stock 6600 in my quad G5. But, I don't see any aftermarket cards for the G5 except for the X1900, and it's not even the XT. Everything seems to be for the Mac Pro? It's a shame because, looking at the cinebench database, the 7300 looks like a good performer for its price.

Is anyone using an aftermarket PCIexpress card in their G5s?

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2007, 10:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.