PDA

View Full Version : floppy disk connector ?

mucksmear
03-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi, this may be a silly question:

My mobo came with a floppy ribbon cable - 34 pins. The connector is oddly polarized (no bump in the middle on one side). There are a couple of grooves on one side of the connector, one near each end.

Problem is my floppy disk (surplus from the office) has a 40 pin connector, the type with the bump/notch on one side, in the middle.

Can I use the 34 pin connector on this floppy? If so, how do i orient and locate the connector?

thanks
-Elliot

mucksmear
03-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?

Stated more simply:

My floppy disk drive has a 40 pin connector while my mobo has a 37 pin connector, and came with a 37 pin ribbon cable.

Do I have an abnormal floppy drive?

Thanks in advance.
-Elliot

dvornik
03-10-2003, 11:14 PM
There are no strict standards for floppy connectors like there is for IDE. Some cables won't fit into some drives at all. Try any way it fits. If it doesn't work buy another floppy drive. I think the norm is 33 pins. Are you sure it's not a zip drive or some other IDE device?

mucksmear
03-10-2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks Dvornik,

I'll just go ahead and try it. Pretty sure its a floppy drive, it stuck
one in and it fit perfectly.

-E

singularity2006
03-11-2003, 02:21 AM
a 40pin connector floppy??? ar?F That sounds awefully strange. Cuz IDE is a 40pin connector.... but a floppy????:shrug:

derelict
03-11-2003, 08:23 AM
its a strange world we live in.

GregHess
03-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Er Mucksmear,

Are you sure its not a Super-disk drive? Like an LS-120 or LS-240 superdisk? They look EXACTLY like 3.5 floppies. Only diffy is they use the IDE interface, and usually have a laser warning on one side of the drive.

LS-120's were the superior replacement to iomega's zip drive, as they could both read 120 meg disks, and normal 1.44 disks, heck even the 2.88 ones. They lost the edu contract and that was that. :(

Biggest advantage of the LS-120's is the abandonment of the stupid floppy disk controller. Plus they read floppies much faster. The LS-240 (I haven't seen one) is supposed to be able to format NORMAL floppies, as 25 meg disks.

So in summary, try using it in the ide plug, if the floppy one won't fit.

singularity2006
03-11-2003, 05:57 PM
wwwaaattt..... LS240's can do that?! Man, it's too bad almost no1 uses those things!! :eek: :buttrock:

Iomega's market share is just too huge... all that commercial power. I've heard little to nothing from the LS folk....

mucksmear
03-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks Greg, funny you should mention that, I was just thinking that possiblilty this morning, tho I've never seen a Super-disk drive, was going to check it out, but it looks like youve just confirmed it. I'll try it in my old machine as it has an availible ide plug, i think

thanks everyone.
-Elliot

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.