PDA

View Full Version : Speed Rig : In-game Hydralisk ( 18 bones )

EricDLegare
04-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Well, I had to take a quick break of my current cinematic rig project ( with muscle jiggle etc. :P ) so I just rigged a game-friendly character in a mather of minutes, just for the fun of it, and it turns to look fun and is quite easy to pose :) ...

Of course it's a simple rig, nothing fancy there, except the fact that after rigging it I took much much time just to model the bones so they look like the character ( I'm no modeler ;P )

Just tought I'd share the result :P

Now back to the huge cinematic rig that I will probably post in the next weeks :P

-edit-
now the Hydralisk rig is in my WIP DEMO REEL at www.3DLCG.com (http://www.3DLCG.com)

Enjoy :P

eek
04-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Well, I had to take a quick break of my current cinematic rig project ( with muscle jiggle etc. :P ) so I just rigged a game-friendly character in a mather of minutes, just for the fun of it, and it turns to look fun and is quite easy to pose :) ...

Of course it's a simple rig, nothing fancy there, except the fact that after rigging it I took much much time just to model the bones so they look like the character ( I'm no modeler ;P )

Just tought I'd share the result :P

Now back to the huge cinematic rig that I will probably post in the next weeks :P

http://www.3dlcg.com/SpeedRig_18Hydralisk.mov - Right-clic - Save As

Enjoy :P

i like it man, cool little rig - i tend to keep my rigs simple too. Well the functionality/ease of use - achieving it is another story. (currently fighting over fn instancing in structs ergg!) Nice stuff :)

EricDLegare
04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
i like it man, cool little rig - i tend to keep my rigs simple too. Well the functionality/ease of use - achieving it is another story. (currently fighting over fn instancing in structs ergg!) Nice stuff :)

Well thank you :P it's nice to ear this especialy from THE EEK :P

I've seen you posting some interesting things over here :P

EricDLegare
04-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Also I'm looking foward to show you my cinematic rig :P with muscle jiggling base on muscular contractions :P I'm quite proud :P

EricDLegare
04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
150 views, 1 reply :P

I didn't expected the rig to be so awesome that it would leave everyone speechless :P or maybe totaly indifferent ;) :deal:

zzama
04-10-2007, 07:38 PM
well, it is actually awesome.....and i was speechless

it happens sometimes ... you know...rigging is like plumbing: you make it right, no one see; you make it wrong and everything becomes full of s#1t

Aearon
04-15-2007, 01:35 PM
cool!

to make it even simpler you could use the bones directly as control objects!

is there any specific reason you're using shapes for fk parts like the head and jaw?

EricDLegare
04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
cool!

to make it even simpler you could use the bones directly as control objects!

is there any specific reason you're using shapes for fk parts like the head and jaw?

It's a consistency issue, I use the shapes to control the twist of some bones, I also use the shapes for the IKs of the arms, so, not to confuse the animator, I used shapes for the head and jaw so the animators knows that SHAPES = ANIMATE ME and BONES = DON'T BOTHER I'M FROZEN :P

But I understand your point, especialy with such a big / easely selectable head it would make sense...

Aearon
04-15-2007, 02:23 PM
i understand your point and actually i just recently changed my mind on this :)

i think less clutter equals easier use. being able to use bones directly is one of the great simple things of max, especially in ik/fk switches where you can override the fk with ik by putting constraint above the animation channel. saving one chain and lots of clutter. you would be surprised how surprised some maya/xsi animators are when they see how simplistic a complex rig in max can be.

we only use shapes for things that are not part of the skeleton hierarchy itself, or in places where it gives more flexibility.

i really believe this kind of thing makes a big difference for some animators, being able to grab stuff directly flicks some switch for them, more fun ;)

if it's important to you to visually indicate what objects are animatable you could think about other concepts like color.

and yeah i would definitely stick to shapes only for 'external' controls that are not part of the hierarchy, so they can hide them with shift+s for reviewing

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2007, 02:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.